Protium Green Solutions (Trading name “Protium”) is a UK focused green hydrogen energy company, which supports businesses to reach net zero emissions across their heat, power, and mobility requirements. We are a fast-growing company, with some of the leading global voices in the emerging green hydrogen market on our team. We are deeply passionate about addressing climate change and reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and our focus on green hydrogen is driven by the desire to see the UK transition rapidly towards renewable resources.
The first pure-play hydrogen energy company in the UK, we offer a unique opportunity to learn about the possibilities and challenges of deploying green hydrogen solutions. You will work on some of the most challenging and innovative decarbonisation projects that have been proposed in the UK (and perhaps the world), whilst contributing towards the UKʼs Net Zero emission goals. We offer regular contact time with senior management, as well as significant autonomy and authority to lead project workstreams and own relationships with clients as well as suppliers.
This is the perfect opportunity for an ambitious candidate that is looking to stretch their knowledge and skills and accelerate their career path.The Role
Protium are looking for an experienced Planning and Permitting Specialist. The role will support the delivery of Protium’s exciting projects at different phases of development, from site acquisition through to obtaining the necessary planning, environmental and safety consents, and be responsible for managing all aspects of the processes involved to achieve this. The role will have the opportunity to work independently and within the project development team to identify and assess constraints, develop the strategy to obtain the required permissions, and work with the project team to drive the planning and permitting phase to meet project requirements and dates.Their Activities Will Include (but May Not Be Limited To)
The Planning and Permitting Specialist will report into the Project Development Lead, is accountable for the following activities and will provide reports back to the Project Managers on progress.
- Identify and assess the planning and environmental constraints that may impact the development of each project and support the Project Managers with developing the project schedule and risk register for work packages relating to the planning and permitting phase.
- Develop the strategy for obtaining the required permissions.
- Develop the scope of work that will be required from planning and permitting consultants, review proposals and assist with the selection of consultants. Support with obtaining board and investment committee approval.
- Supporting the Project Managers with the planning and commissioning of all necessary reports and investigations, to assist with the planning process.
- Review the deliverables produced by the planning and permitting consultants and report back to the Project Manager on progress against project targets.
- Maintain and expand the companies key contact base and manage consultants.
- Support the entire planning and permitting process with local authorities and the community.
- Undertake activities, as required, to source strategic and project related land opportunities, leveraging consultants and externals contacts fully.
- Supporting the team and wider business with specific tasks on projects and issues as required, including due diligence activity on acquisition opportunities.
- Maintaining industry knowledge on relevant wider issues, including consultation responses and industry representation as required.
- Semi-Regular UK travel will be required (around 20%).
Protium values candidates who are self-starters, willing to learn quickly and can contribute to part of an exciting company in a rapidly expanding industry. The ideal candidate will be comfortable in a fast-paced and challenging environment, as well as confident to put their ideas forward and challenge if required. The ideal candidate will have 5 to 10 years of experience and have:
- Knowledge / experience of the planning process from pre-application, EIA screening and scoping, and environmental permitting through to achieving consent for planning and permitting.
- Working knowledge of all aspects of planning and environmental permitting processes, including knowledge of planning policies, environmental surveys, and legal aspects.
- Experience in working with and managing external consultants and the ability to develop new and positive relationship with third parties such as planners, architects, local government, etc.
- Experience in working with local councils and statutory authorities.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, with stakeholders across all levels.
- Experience in risk management and conflict resolution also desirable.
- Excellent organisation and time management skills.
- Candidates must possess strong skills in full Microsoft office suite, notably PowerPoint, Microsoft Project, Excel, and Word.
- Knowledge of the renewable energy industry, primarily in wind, solar, battery, and green hydrogen is an advantage.
- Ideally degree qualified, preferably in a relevant subject such as planning, environmental studies, etc.
- Professional accreditation as relevant.