NIRAS Group is a multi-disciplinary engineering and environment consultancy, fundamentally committed to sustainable progress and service delivery. We work across a wide range of sectors encompassing process facilities and construction, energy, environment and infrastructure, development assistance and urban planning. NIRAS has an expanding international presence with approx. 2600 employees globally in over 40 offices in 21 countries. Our UK operations are growing rapidly, with over 140 professional staff providing marine environmental, process engineering, civil engineering, energy, international development consultancy, and project management services to a variety of clients.
NIRAS has a leading position in sustainable development within the marine environment. We provide environmental consultancy services in relation to offshore wind, submarine cables, ports and harbour and other sectors. Our Marine Environment UK team specialise in helping developers and policy makers take the best approach to the development and operation of marine infrastructure support. We undertake environmental impact and strategic environmental assessments, marine and coastal surveys, marine investment planning for blue chip companies in technology and renewable energy sectors, and have key involvement in marine and coastal developments across the world. In addition to our UK and EU marine work, we currently work closely with our international team in supporting the sustainable development of new marine infrastructure in Asia.
Our team are dynamic thought leaders and innovative practitioners, committed to delivering best practice within all areas of our work. We care about making a difference. Our mission is big and we need the right people to help deliver our work, who share our strong commitment to sustainability and exceptional service delivery.
Our organisation is driven by three core values that we apply in all areas of our work:
- We listen
- We learn
- We deliver
We encourage our workforce to contribute to the development of our organisation, to share ideas and progress in their careers. Our people are extremely important to us. For more information: https://www.niras.com/.
If you share our values and want to leave a positive footprint on the world, could you be part of making our mission a reality?
About the role
NIRAS Group (UK) Limited have an exciting opportunity for a GIS Programmer to join our UK based team.
You will work across four business units primarily covering the UK with the potential to support work for the NIRAS Taiwan office. You will work with staff from various technical backgrounds and disciplines including marine environment, marine engineering and international aid and development.
The balance of work between project delivery (GIS development, data management, support to project team) and business development (supporting innovating solutions, developing digital capabilities, tender support) will vary from month to month depending on NIRAS’ project portfolio.
You will support the teams with geospatial work as required, which will vary from project to project.
This will include but is not limited to:
- Development of bespoke web-based GIS solutions and automated tools
- Processing and developing code to improve the processing of remote sensing data/ satellite data
- Help to develop innovative geospatial solutions (such as web based tools, improved abilities to utilise satellite data or AI and integration of BIM data into GIS, use of VR)
- Help to develop the business in the geospatial and digital arena
- Promote the use of GIS in future work, advising on ways to better utilise geospatial capabilities to improve quality or add value to existing projects and win new projects
This role will require the ability to independently create innovate bespoke solutions to support the work in the UK. To help push the use of web base GIS solutions, use of AI, BIM and satellite imagery data in one or more of the three different topic areas as appropriate.
We encourage applications from those who want to be part of a supportive culture, often working to tight deadlines across multiple time-zones and in multi-cultural teams and environments. This is a technical post and you will require technical expertise and experience in several of the following areas:
- Ability to independently develop web-based spatial applications and/or automated tools
- Proven experience in PostGIS
- Ability to code in Java script ideally with ESRI Api
- Ability to code in Python for ESRI
- Website development skills, including HTML & CSS
- Working knowledge of Linux / Ubuntu operating systems
- Ability to or willingness to learn how to set up and maintain ESRI enterprise elements (e.g. databases, shared code, interfaces, licences etc)
- Ability to innovate
- Experience or willingness to explore the use of AI learning (e.g. using Microsoft AI for earth)
- Experience or willingness to explore the use of BIM within the ESRI environment
- Experience or willingness to explore the use of satellite data from earth engine (including extrapolation)
- Experience or willingness to explore the use of VR software
- Excellent data management and quality assurance skills
Training can be supported for the right candidate, so we will be as interested in your attitude and work ethic, and your passion for learning and development, as much as the technical skills.
You will be an effective communicator and able to contribute to flexible solutions in line with business needs. You will be highly professional, ambitious, entrepreneurial and keen to play a key role in a growing the geospatial work and aims of the GIS strategy. A strong interest to develop your understanding of the our work areas and pursue continued professional development is desirable.
- A relevant degree / professional qualification or equivalent experience in programming with a speciality with programming with spatial data.
- Proven experience, developing GIS programming applications and tools.
- Ability to code within ESRI software and/or web-based GIS platforms (Python & Java script)
- Proven experience in PostGIS
- Experience of creating script and tools from scratch
- Be focused on delivery of innovative solutions
- Good data management and version control experience
- Ability to work in a complex, fast-moving, dynamic operating environment.
- Understanding of quality, attention to detail and commitment to delivery of high quality work to deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Demonstrable written communication skills, conveying information/data clearly requiring little proofreading or quality assurance, adapting style and tone to suit audience.
- Experience in negotiating effectively and building and sustaining relationships with key partners and clients.
- An ability and willingness to work effectively with colleagues with different skill sets and from different cultural backgrounds
- Willingness to support other areas of the business when required, working flexibly across a team to deliver tasks within tight deadlines
- Ability to be adaptable and flexible, prioritise work effectively and balance conflicting demands without close supervision
- Support less experienced team members where appropriate, with clear and active communication required
- Ability to establish good working relationships with a number of teams
- Ability to think and work proactively, creatively and strategically under pressure or when faced with competing demands
- Ability to organise, plan and manage your time (both whilst working alone and within a team) and that of others to deliver to demanding deadlines will be necessary
This is a permanent, full-time position (37.5 hours per week, routinely Monday to Friday). Hybrid working is offered.
The salary range for this role is £30,000 to £50,000 per annum (full-time equivalent). The entry point within the salary range will be dependent on experience. You can progress through the salary range for this role subject to achieving objectives, behaviour standards and development.
Our Learning & Development strategy supports a fantastic range of development opportunities to support you in your role and future aspirations!
Our employee benefits include:
- 25 days paid annual leave plus public holidays
- Employee Life Assurance
- Employer pension contributions, and optional salary sacrifice arrangements
- Company Sick Pay available from day one of your employment
- 24/7 access to our Employee Assistance Programme
- Enhanced provisions for family-friendly leave/pay
- Paid time off for dependents and emergencies
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Flexibility over your working hours
- Paid time off for volunteering activities
If the role sounds of interest, then please apply today as applications will be reviewed continuously before the closing date. Please do not hesitate to email Evan Wilcock (Talent Acquisition Partner UK) at email@example.com should you have any questions.
NIRAS is an equal opportunity employer with a focus on Sustainable Development Goals. We value diversity in all its forms and welcome and encourage applications from all backgrounds.