ROLE: Optimisation & Data Engineer
LOCATION: Immingham (Northeast Lincolnshire)
SALARY: £38,500 + up to 20% performance bonus + Private medical Healthcare + Pension
VPI is a UK-based power company, providing energy to the National Grid. We are part of the UK's pathway to Net Zero, complementing the increase in renewable energy to power homes and businesses. Our portfolio includes CCGT, OCG and CHP Power plants as well as hydrogen and carbon capture projects to help lower emissions and develop a future for decarbonised, dispatchable, and flexible generation in the UK.
An opportunity has arisen for a Optimisation and Data Engineer, as the VPI portfolio further expands, the need to further improve and refine processes around scheduling and despatch of the entire portfolio grows, especially for new reciprocating engines and OCGT coming on line.
Working between the Trading team and plant operations, the successful candidate will be expected to have a significant impact upon processes around scheduling and despatch (linking to trading systems), as well as reporting (linking back to PnL). We are thinking of the future impact of our new plants, as well as refinements to existing processes for existing plants.
Interfacing with the power station control rooms and Trading on a routine basis, as we all as IT, Performance and Engineering teams on an occasional basis:
- Help to build systems for the despatch of new assets coming on stream, linking with existing systems and new systems as appropriate
- Contribute to review/enhancement of some existing systems/processes with a view towards more automation
- Ensuring new asset performance is successfully captured in existing systems to ensure PnL is correctly recorded
- Perform routine Trading to control room team liaison when other team members are unavailable
- Perform ad-hoc analysis to support decision making or instigate more detailed Engineering or Performance review
- Develop asset interfaces to be able to compete in appropriate ESO Balancing Services, such as the BM or Ancillary Services like STOR
- Strong numerical & analytical skills
- Proficient with MS applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) including expert use of advanced functions and VB automation in Microsoft Excel
- Experience of use of and/or interfacing to OSIsoft Pi, Uniformance, Distributed Control Systems/SCADA and/or EDL/EDT desirable especially experience with exchanging data between any of these systems
- Degree in engineering or numerical discipline or proven ability in similar role required
- Experience in energy or other process industry beneficial but not essential
- Must be a self-starter capable of designing and implementing solutions with minimal guidance
- Must be approachable. VPI has a very open and honest culture (open plan office environment, VC and phones in preference to lengthy emails)