British Antarctic Survey’s Mechanical Maintenance Technicians take responsibility for maintenance, repair and support of mechanical services at our Antarctic research stations.
We are offering a rare opportunity to do what may seem like an ordinary job in the most extraordinary place on Earth. The UK’s polar research effort is critically important for understanding environmental issues that affect everyone.
Antarctica is also the most exhilarating and spectacular workplace you could imagine.
BAS operates five sites from smaller domestic size sites such as Bird Island to more complex stations such as Halley IV with CHP systems and BMS controls. We require a broad range of skills to maintain our stations in all aspects of
mechanical engineering including plumbers, heating engineers, pipe fitters and mechanical maintenance technicians with domestic commercial or industrial experience.
You will have served a full apprenticeship, have a BTEC, relevant City & guilds or NVQ with a recognised qualification within the mechanical service industry and have post qualification/apprenticeship practical site experience.
With high levels of self-motivation and strong team-working skills you will be able to manage your time well, anticipate problems and take responsibility for reporting issues to your managers and fellow team members.Purpose
To take responsibility for all planned maintenance, reactive repair, support and upkeep of all mechanical and associated services on Station.Duties
Be responsible for the operation, maintenance, and repair of
- Water systems, LTHW, HW/ CW systems
- Desalination systems (some sites)
- Wastewater systems
- Oil fired boilers
- Heating & ventilation systems
- Fire suppression system
- Building management systems (BMS)
- Pump Maintenance
- Reporting of problems or work requests to the line manager.
- Carrying out works as directed by the line manager.
- Carrying out the pre-planned maintenance (PPM) programme
- Carrying out and supervising the installation of refurbishment works as required to meet the efficient and effective operational needs of the Station
- Reporting and documenting all works carried out through the PPM system.
- Recording and documenting of all reactive works carried out.
- Production of report on the condition of Station mechanical services.
- Undertake other general duties as required or directed by the line manager and Station Leader.