Why work with us?
We are breaking the boundaries and pushing our commitment in the EVTOL world by Changing the way the world travels. Our mission is powered by pioneers and progress is our prerogative.
Here at Vertical, we are developing the UK's first fully electric, vertical take-off and landing aircraft (eVTOL), the VX4. With zero-operating emissions. Vertical is transforming the way people travel through offering a faster, safer and greener way to move.
Founded in 2016, Vertical is a leading aerospace and technology company, with the largest global pre-order book with prestigious airline partners such as Virgin Atlantic and American Airlines, and our exceptional partner ecosystem includes the likes of Rolls-Royce and Honeywell.
Our new facility near to Hallen, Avonmouth will be the principle working location.
My Impact as the Test Technician
You will assist in all aspects of work at our new battery development centre which is being established to test and build prototype batteries. A real "can do attitude" is required and the candidate must be happy working with minimal guidance and supervision, the role will be varied and challenging at times.
You have high quality mechanical and/or electrical skills. The mechanical/electrical bias of the role will depend on your skillset – it is preferable but not essential to be skilled in both. You will be required to assist in all aspects of work at our new battery development centre which is being established to test and build prototype batteries.What success will look like for the
Everything sounds very interesting but how do I know this is the role for me?
- Carrying out the assembly of mechanical and electrical components to technical drawings or finding their own effective solutions to required tasks whilst still working to high quality standards.
- Performing electrical, mechanical and abuse testing on cells, modules and whole battery systems
- Working with external test facilities and suppliers where necessary to deliver high quality testing and test data
- Test rig design, fabrication and development
- Occasional site facilities maintenance as and when required
- The set-up, starting, monitoring and shutdown of tests
- Daily health checks, test rig maintenance and fault diagnostics
- Creation and editing of test routines
- Set-up of instrumentation and data logging equipment
- Battery pack teardown, inspection and fault analysis
- Test definition and some report writing
- Feedback into the design team on process, test results and next steps
- Defect tracking and fault diagnosis
- Ensuring all appropriate paperwork or recording is completed and maintained (job cards, tech logs, tech library, ERP system entries… etc).
- Maintaining a high standard of tool cleanliness and control throughout the workshop assembly areas
- General assistance on-site, taking delivery of items, stores work, ordering equipment
- You may be required to work a shift system for high load periods within the business
We are looking for people that will have the following qualifications and experiences:
What can you expect from us?
- Would have both mechanical and electrical skills
- Have an automotive, industrial or aerospace background.
- Have experience of working with and around HV batteries and battery testing
- Be proficient and confident with various hand tools and power tools.
- Should have very good attention to detail and can operate to challenging deadlines without compromising standards or quality.
- Have a good working knowledge of electrical schematics and technical assembly drawings.
- Would have experience with wiring, crimping, soldering etc. – experience of working with typical MIL/aerospace connectors would be beneficial.
- Can work autonomously and safely.
- Happy to travel between Avonmouth, Bristol and any other test location and stay away for short periods if required
- Trained to deal with high-voltage components, including Authorised Person (AP) and Senior Authorised Person (SAP) training
For us it is important that people feel valued for the impact they have and are able to thrive and experience the career journey of a lifetime. Our overall approach to reward seeks to offer competitive packages that attract the diverse and talented people we need to achieve our ambitious objectivesOur Vertical Additional Benefits
Our Ways of Working
- 'Primary Benefits' are available as standard, 5% Pension Match, 2 x Salary Life Insurance, Income Protection, 26 days + bank holiday and the opportunity for extra 5 days when getting married or forming a civil partnership
- 'Flex Fund Benefits' are benefits that don't come as standard, but you can 'pay' for using a company provided 'Flex Fund' (equal to 4% of salary) Private Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, EV Car Subscription, Home EV Charger, Holiday Buy, Pension Top Up, and many more
- 'Payroll benefits' Workplace ISA, Commuter Loan, Interest Free Technology Loans
- 'Extra benefits' are the many benefits we offer that can be accessed through our rewards platform, incl. Discounted Shopping Scheme, Eye Care Benefits, Free Mortgage Advice, Financial and Comprehensive Wellness Benefits
- Eligibility to participate in our market leading employee long-term-incentive plan
In the UK we have two offices and a Battery facility in Bristol, an office in London and a site in Kemble with well stocked free kitchen provisions including hot drinks, fruit and breakfasts every weekday. Our typical full time working week is 37.5 hours. We recognise the world of work is rapidly evolving and that 9-5 is no longer a fitting pattern for many. We want to support all employees to deliver their roles to the best possible standard by offering an additional level of flexibility between our sites and home where suitable for your role. Typically, this is agreed with your team, ensuring there are times for collaboration on site and work from home as appropriate.Do you like the look of this opportunity but not sure if you meet all the criteria we've outlines?
Here at Vertical, we are working to create an environment of growth, diversity and opportunities for people to take on challenges and push the status quo.
We understand some people may not apply to jobs unless they tick every box. If you're excited about joining us and think you have much of what we're looking for, even if you're not 100% sure... we'd love to hear from you.
This is an on-going advert and interviews will be held on an ad-hoc basis until sufficient applications have been received.