Why work with us?
We are breaking the boundaries and pushing our commitment in the EVTOL world by Changing the way the world travels. Our mission is powered by pioneers and progress is our prerogative.
Here at Vertical, we are developing the UK's first fully electric, vertical take-off and landing aircraft (eVTOL), the VX4. With zero-operating emissions. Vertical is transforming the way people travel through offering a faster, safer and greener way to move.
Founded in 2016, Vertical is a leading aerospace and technology company, with the largest global pre-order book with prestigious airline partners such as Virgin Atlantic and American Airlines, and our exceptional partner ecosystem includes the likes of Rolls-Royce and Honeywell.
My Impact as a Flight Controls Manager
Be responsible for the core fly by wire flight control system. This is a matrix management level position within a small and dynamic company so you will be expected to wear many hats from line management to strategy, from driving architectural design to supporting problem solving.What success will look like for the Flight Controls Manager
Everything sounds very interesting but how do I know this is the role for me?
- Setting department strategy of; technology routemap, skillsets, focus areas.
- Hiring & leading a second to none team of systems engineers to deliver a world-leading lightweight eVTOL aircraft capable of achieving the most stringent safety standards being set by the various aviation authorities around the world.
- Lead critical discussions with key suppliers & partners as well as finding new ones.
- Mentoring, growing and appraising the team.
- Working with peers to deploy the right skills into each sub project within the company.
We are looking for people that will have the following qualifications and experiences:
What can you expect from us?
- The ability to manage multiple tasks and thrive in a complex aircraft development environment managing multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Knowledge of regulatory certification specifications such as SC-VTOL, CS/FAR-23, 25, 27 or 29, ARP4754, ARP4761, DO-178/254
- Significant experience in: Requirement Management, Management of technical risk, V&V, Scheduling and resource planning.
- A passion for modern development tools & techniques including; MBSE/UML, Automated testing, CI/CD, python & Agile
- Proactivity, forward thinking and self-motivation with the ability to build and lead a team of like-minded systems engineers.
- A passion for building something new.
- A demonstrable track record of managing high performing teams.
- A core strength in leading and motivating highly innovative and technical teams, able to create differentiated value.
- The leadership capability to shape and deliver the company strategy as part of the engineering leadership team, serving as a true partner to colleagues across the business.
- Degree in Electronics, Software or equivalent and related experience working in an engineering discipline.
For us it is important that people feel valued for the impact they have and are able to thrive and experience the career journey of a lifetime. Our overall approach to reward seeks to offer competitive packages that attract the diverse and talented people we need to achieve our ambitious objectivesOur Vertical Additional Benefits
Our Ways of Working
- 'Primary Benefits' are available as standard, 5% Pension Match, 2 x Salary Life Insurance, Income Protection, 26 days + bank holiday and the opportunity for extra 5 days when getting married or forming a civil partnership
- 'Flex Fund Benefits' are benefits that don't come as standard, but you can 'pay' for using a company provided 'Flex Fund' (equal to 4% of salary) Private Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, EV Car Subscription, Home EV Charger, Holiday Buy, Pension Top Up, and many more
- 'Payroll benefits' Workplace ISA, Commuter Loan, Interest Free Technology Loans
- 'Extra benefits' are the many benefits we offer that can be accessed through our rewards platform, incl. Discounted Shopping Scheme, Eye Care Benefits, Free Mortgage Advice, Financial and Comprehensive Wellness Benefits
- Eligibility to participate in our market leading employee long-term-incentive plan
In the UK we have two offices and a Battery facility in Bristol, an office in London and a site in Kemble with well stocked free kitchen provisions including hot drinks, fruit and breakfasts every weekday. Our typical full time working week is 37.5 hours. We recognise the world of work is rapidly evolving and that 9-5 is no longer a fitting pattern for many. We want to support all employees to deliver their roles to the best possible standard by offering an additional level of flexibility between our sites and home where suitable for your role. Typically, this is agreed with your team, ensuring there are times for collaboration on site and work from home as appropriate.Do you like the look of this opportunity but not sure if you meet all the criteria we've outlines?
Here at Vertical, we are working to create an environment of growth, diversity and opportunities for people to take on challenges and push the status quo.
We understand some people may not apply to jobs unless they tick every box. If you're excited about joining us and think you have much of what we're looking for, even if you're not 100% sure... we'd love to hear from you.
This is an on-going advert and interviews will be held on an ad-hoc basis until sufficient applications have been received.