School of Computing and Digital Technology is expanding its key teaching and research strategic academic area around artificial intelligence and data science by creating a number of job opportunities at a professorial level to create impact and provide thought leadership on one of the defining trends for the 2022s - the evolution of developed economies to drive digital transformation across industry sectors and society.
This will bring together big data, machine learning, and artificial intelligence to the next development phase of smart systems. It is the next edge in the development of the global digital economy and digital society. Artificial intelligence and Data analysis present enormous opportunities to wider sectors and application domains such as smart manufacturing, digital health, and sustainable green cities.
To realise the vision of the School of Computing and Digital Technology, we are recruiting a team of outstanding, internationally recognised research leaders, including a professor of artificial intelligence and machine learning.
The successful candidate will have an exceptional research track record and will be able to work across disciplinary boundaries. They will be committed to the highest standards of Learning and teaching, research culture, including research integrity, and creating an inclusive research environment. They will also have international research networks and excellent links with businesses.
We welcome expressions of interest from candidates from under-represented groups in higher education.
PROVIDING YOUR SUPPORTING INFORMATION:
We are delighted you are applying for one of our vacancies.
As part of our application process, we would like you to submit your CV with a covering letter and have provided some additional guidance to help you understand what we are looking for.
We are not asking you to complete a specific CV template. However, we do encourage you to tailor your CV, so you demonstrate how your experience, skills and expertise match the Job Description for the role(s) you are applying for.
To give your application the best possible chance of success, please ensure you highlight all your specific areas of relevant activity, which may include:
- career experience, covering your current and previous employment, including role titles, responsibilities and key achievements
- teaching experience, setting out your teaching expertise, subject teaching specialisms, and activities relating to teaching quality and student outcomes
- practice based experiences gained across workplace roles and practice where you have developed your professional expertise, including, as and where appropriate, how you use this experience to bring alive your contribution to education, research, and enterprise
- research experience, research specialisms, research outputs (publications, including percentage contribution if you are a joint or one of multiple-authors, impact rating (for journal articles), research income (UKRI and other) including all external funding bids that have been successful / not successful (and whether Co-I or P-I)
- enterprise activities you are or have been associated with, including description of impact (such as policy changes, IP), outcomes and income associated with them; leadership, management, and citizenship activities across your career (including supervision of Masters and Doctoral students, coaching and mentoring colleagues and leading teams).
Given the number of roles we are advertising and the specific nature of them, we would not expect every applicant to be able to demonstrate to the same degree all of the suggested areas we have covered above.
What we want to ensure is that you tailor both your CV and covering letter to the requirements for the role(s) you are applying for, which reflects your career to date and provides you with the best opportunity of success in your application.
In support of your application, we would also like you to prepare a covering letter that provides a narrative of your career and expertise against the Job Description for the role(s) you are applying for.
To help provide you with some guidance on the length of the covering letter, and to also ensure fairness for all candidates, we ask that your covering letter is no more than 1250 words. We request that you submit the covering letter in Arial font, size 11 and 1.5 spacing, which equates to almost 3 pages of A4 paper.
We look forward to receiving your completed application form by the closing date.