The Role: Power System Operations Engineers
Location: Dublin or Belfast
Our client is an electric power transmission operator in Ireland, transforming the power system for future generations. Opportunities are now available for Power System Engineers to join the Operations team and be part of their journey to deliver the transition of Ireland’s electricity sector to low – carbon, renewable energy.
Our client’s purpose is to deliver a safe, secure and reliable supply of electricity, now, and for the future. Whether you are an ambitious Power Systems Engineer at an early stage in your career or a more seasoned problem solver, there are opportunities for you across the spectrum of power system operations.
As a Power System Operations Engineer, you will have the opportunity to challenge yourself in a highly collaborative team responsible for operating the power system in an efficient manner whilst maintaining system security and implementing change for the future. This includes incorporating new ways of working to support the facilitation of renewable generation and other new infrastructure while maintaining operational standards.
- enable safe, secure operation of the Irish power system and market through managing transmission and generation outages and maintaining enough margins and services
- apply knowledge and experience in power system modelling and simulation using PSS/E, DIgSILENT Powerfactory or DSA Tools with the ability to perform and coach others on operational studies such as thermal, voltage, transient stability, fault level, etc.
- integrate new technologies and systems into the Irish power system and market including new AC and HVDC infrastructure, synchronous compensators, battery energy storage systems, onshore and offshore renewable generation, large and flexible energy users, etc.
- contribute to the solution of operational challenges using knowledge of the Grid, Network and Market Codes as well as technical policies, operational standards and engineering procedures
- develop and optimise tools for use in control centres and supporting teams as well as increase process efficiency through automation with tools such as Python, VBA or Tableau
- engage and influence internal and external stakeholders to implement business process changes, incorporate operational methodologies and manage risk as required, to maintain the operability of the Irish power system.
- have an engineering degree & relevant experience.
- strive for “knowledge in power”, and be someone who enjoys solving complex problems in a fast paced, collegial environment
- understand the industry, environment and context with knowledge of the Irish power system and Single Electricity Market
- work in exciting areas such as:
- executing load flow and constraint studies
- performing system analysis and monitoring
- facilitating outage management,
- supporting protection and metering
- carrying out commissioning and testing
- ensuring operational readiness for new tools, systems and services
- demonstrate the ability to develop and optimise tools such as Python, VBA and Tableau
- produce meaningful visualisations to communicate both abstract and concrete ideas and datasets
- demonstrate ability to work well within a team together with flexibility in approach including a strong ability to work under own initiative
- encompasse strong communication and interpersonal skills, with an emphasis on high quality report writing and ability to communicate technical matters clearly and effectively.
Interested? Please send your CV and tailored/bespoke covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org