Reserving Data Technician
London - Hybrid
£Competitive + Bonus & Benefits
This role is specific to reserving, but will involve touchpoints with aggregations, pricing and capital model parameterisation. The role will assist MINT in achieving consistent underwriting profit with timely and accurate analysis of business performance. This will require the development of positive relationships with key individuals in other departments and to remain up to date with claims and underwriting activity.
What you will be doing:
This individual will support actuarial processes, automating them as far as possible to allow more time for valuable analysis by the team.
The focus of the role is three-fold:
SQL database support for our two resident experts (BAU); Power BI integration as our new reporting software of choice; Support for other projects, which may involve learning basic level Python, Alteryx, etc. (see below).
This may include improving existing reports, building new ones and coaching other resource to also develop our models.
The other significant projects we anticipate the successful candidate:
- Solvency II Technical Provisions calculation and reporting modifications
- Power BI reserving pack automation (this may involve Python but could have an alternative solution)
- Optimisation of the “Overs & Unders” (GAAP) process, which is likely to involve the use of Alteryx
- Enhancements to improve our Lloyd's Brussels and Trust Fund reporting from our central reserving model
- Support for the integration of new policy administrations systems data into the actuarial process for triangulation production and reporting
What we are looking for:
- Be a graduate, having completed a numerical degree with a classification of 2:1 or above, or equivalent
- Be able to demonstrate knowledge of the London General Insurance Market
- Have excellent IT skills – especially Excel and SQL. Intermediate Power BI skills are desirable. Python and Alteryx a nice-to-have
- Display excellent analytical skills. Specific data analytics experience would be beneficial
- Be comfortable presenting to groups of actuaries on technical content
Markel Corporation (NYSE – MKL) a fortune 500 company with over 60 offices in 20+ countries, is a holding company for insurance, reinsurance, specialist advisory and investment operations around the world. In each of our businesses, we seek to deliver innovative products and adaptable customer service so that we can be a market leader. Our time horizon is long-term, our approach is disciplined, and our focus is on continuously improving the quality of the customer experience.
What’s in it for you?
- A very competitive basic salary plus bonus & benefits
- 25 days’ holiday plus Bank Holidays, with the opportunity to buy / sell extra leave
- Company matched pension scheme, private medical and dental cover, life assurance, travel insurance cover, income protection, Green car benefit scheme, a cycle2work scheme, season ticket loan, Employee Assistance Programme (EAP), adoption and shared parental leave pay... And plenty more
- Voluntary benefits designed to suit your lifestyle – from discounts and cash back on retail and socialising, to health & wellbeing, travel and technology
- Depending on the role there is the possibility of working from both the office and from home (hybrid) and flexible working requests are supported
- You’ll get the chance to follow your chosen career path anywhere within Markel
- You’ll be joining a global network of experienced, innovative and dedicated individuals across multiple teams and countries. There are countless opportunities to learn new skills and develop in your career, and we’ll provide the support you need to do just that
What we hope you’ll do next:
Choose ‘Apply now’ to fill out our short application, so that we can find out more about you.
We’re an equal opportunity employer, which means we’ll consider all suitably qualified applicants regardless of gender identity or expression, ethnic origin, nationality, religion or beliefs, age, sexual orientation, disability status or any other protected characteristic.
We recruit and develop our people based on merit and their passion and we’re committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We are a Disability Confident Committed employer which means we want to ensure that you have a positive experience applying for a role at Markel and are able to perform at your best. If there are any adjustments we can reasonably make to ensure that the process is accessible for you at every stage please contact us on: email@example.com