We’re making zero carbon happen
We’re OVO Group, a big family of companies united by a single vision: to get to zero carbon, fast.
We call this Plan Zero – and it shows how we’ll be fighting the climate crisis and transforming the way people use energy over the next decade. To do this, we need the sharpest minds. Are you up for the challenge?Do great green things with OVO Energy
So much has changed since we launched in 2009. Our goal remains the same though: make energy cheaper, greener, and simpler. Just as it was on day one.Everyone belongs at OVO
Our aim is to build a diverse and inclusive movement: teams of brilliant people, with unique talents, skills, passions, and experiences.
We encourage everyone to join us, whatever your gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, life experience, or background. So please come as you are – we can’t wait to meet you.Where in the world of OVO will I be working?
This role sits in the Portfolio Management team within the OVO Energy function. We are collectively responsible for understanding and managing the risks to which we are exposed as a Retail Supply business. You will be based in the data science team (reporting to the Lead Data Scientist) to ensure that you have a network of support throughout your career at OVO, and that your work is aligned with the wider Energy team.
Your main work focus will be to support the Senior Portfolio manager to identify, value and mitigate emerging risks. In particular this will involve providing quantitative support to help deal with some of our more complex risks through the use of tools such as hedging strategies and derivatives.What will I be doing?
Is this the job for me?
- Working closely with the Senior Portfolio manager you will help us identify key risks associated with OVO’s Energy supply business
- Working across the Portfolio Management team you will take a lead in building and maintaining models to value OVO’s key risks and support in testing and executing hedging frameworks to mitigate these risks
- Working across the Portfolio Management team you will support our reporting framework for assessing model performance and ensuring accurate risk premia and transfer pricing
- Collaborating with Trading Data Science you will help us develop and maintain a Gross Margin at Risk framework and model
Brilliant Benefits For a World-changing Team
- We are looking for a mix of skills broadly consisting of industry knowledge, communication and technical skills:
- Solid understanding of gas and electricity markets, fundamentals and derivatives products, as well as pricing and hedging practices;
- Experience of domestic or B2B Energy supply and of modelling the associated insurance risks would be useful;
- Strong communicator with the ability to bring people together to solve problems;
- Keen commercial acumen and the ability to simplify complex problems to reach a ‘good enough’ answer;
- Expertise in Python programming language plus third-party libraries (including NumPy and Pandas) is essential;
- Good understanding of mathematical finance, including stochastic calculus and probability theory, plus associated numerical methods for their practical implementation;
- Proven strong technical skills in manipulation, extraction and analysis of large data sets (eg SQL/BigQuery and visualisation software such as Tableau);
- Practical knowledge of software development practices.
Our people are at the heart of Plan Zero. That’s why we offer plenty of green benefits and progressive policies to make you feel at home.
For starters, you’ll get 34 days of holiday (including bank holidays).
Then there’s Flex Pay. It’s an extra 9% of your salary on top of your core pay to use as you like. You can take it as cash, add to your pension, or choose to spend it on a huge range of flex benefits.
Here’s a taster of what’s on offer:For your health
With benefits like a healthcare cash plan or private medical insurance depending on your career level, critical illness cover, life assurance, health assessments, and moreFor your wellbeing
With gym membership, gadget, travel and cyber insurance, workplace ISA, will writing services, DNA testing, dental insurance, and moreFor your lifestyle
With extra holiday buying, discount dining, culture cards, tech loans, and supporting your favourite charities with give-as-you-earn donationsFor your home
Get up to £300 off any OVO Energy plan (when you pay by Direct Debit), plus personal carbon offsetting and great discounts on smart thermostats and EV chargersFor your commute
Nab a great deal on ultra-low emission car leasing,
plus our cycle to work scheme and public transport season ticket loans
Want to hear about our full range of flexible benefits and progressive people policies? Our People Team can tell you everything you need to know.Oh, and one last thing...
We’d be thrilled if you tick off all our boxes yet we also believe it’s just as important we tick off all of yours. And if you think you have most of what we’re looking for but not every single thing, go ahead and hit apply
. We’d still love to hear from you!