Who are we:
Ceres is a leading developer of clean energy technology, enabling the world’s most progressive companies to decarbonise at scale and pace.
Ceres technology includes fuel cells for power generation and electrolysers for green hydrogen. Our licensing model has seen us establish partnerships with some of the world's most progressive companies to develop clean energy systems at the scale and pace needed to decarbonise power generation, transportation, industry, and everyday living.
Purpose of the role:
You will apply materials science theory and experimental methodology to improve performance of metal-supported solid-oxide cells (SOC) through advancing our understanding in materials and processes. Initially, you will support the development of metal oxide thin films functional layers of solid oxide fuel cells (SOFCs).
- Provide strong scientific / technical expertise in ceramic materials and processing for the development and manufacturing of SOC technologies
- Be a subject matter expert, and provide scientific and technical expertise by:
- Delivering improved materials and processes required to meet project technical objectives within agreed timescales
- Completing background research into innovative materials and processing routes and create strategies for development
- Creating, implementing, and supporting strategies to characterise the performance and stability of the fuel cell
- Presenting technical progress and timing against delivery targets to the technical management and program management office
- Transferring process developments into the cell and stack manufacturing team
- Support processes for the development and manufacture of components used in SOC Technologies and be a trouble-shooter providing solutions to technical challenges faced in projects
- Support resolution of issues (technical, scientific, analytical, IP, etc) that affect, or have the potential to affect, the development of SOC Technologies, component manufacturing processes, meeting “life” and “cost” targets for product development
- Identify and analyse design problems to achieve optimal solutions that satisfy cost and technical requirements using both internal and external technical resources. Formulate new, innovative approaches to solve technical problems on a consistent basis
- Recognise and disseminate information about emerging trends (scientific, technical, IP, etc) that impact Ceres Power’s ability to deliver its customer projects or win business in both short and long terms
- Support definition of new and existing materials engineering design requirements and develop specifications in accordance with manufacturing, marketing, and customer expectations and requirements
- Communicate key information and recommendations to influence technical decisions and strategy
- Support the company’s in-house analytical characterisation and data analysis capabilities to ensure they are developed sufficiently and used and maintained effectively to meet materials characterisation requests
Knowledge and skills required for the role:
- BEng (+3-5 years industrial/relevant experience), MSc/MEng (+1-2 years of relevant experience) or EngD (or equivalent) in Materials Science and Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or related field
- Scientific knowledge/understanding of some of the following: ceramics materials and processing, sintering of ceramics, ceramic coatings, metallurgy, electro-ceramics, and electrochemistry
- Experience with some of the following materials characterisation techniques: dilatometry, indentation and mechanical properties testing, SEM with EDS/WDX, XRD, XRF, STA/DTA, rheology, particle size distribution, surface area (BET), ACIS/EIS, electrochemical testing
- Experience with some of the following manufacturing processes: powder processing, isostatic pressing, screen-printing, jetting, spraying, or other thin film deposition techniques, ink formulation, synthesis of ceramic nanoparticles, ceramics sintering
- Demonstrate entrepreneurial, can-do attitude and adaptability to meet the goals of a fast-paced technology development environment
- Experience in advanced processing of metal processing (sintering, laser drilling, etc)
- Some understanding of SOC technologies
- Expertise in 6-sigma/DoE techniques
- Demonstrable problem-solving skills
What Ceres offers you:
You will be working with a leading developer of clean energy technology who care deeply about our purpose, our people, our customers, and our planet.
We have created a fantastic working environment with hybrid / flexible working and offer professional development, excellent career opportunities and comprehensive benefits. You can expect to work collaboratively with like-minded colleagues in the knowledge that together we create Zero Carbon Energy Solutions.