Why work with us?
We are breaking the boundaries and pushing our commitment in the EVTOL world by Changing the way the world travels. Our mission is powered by pioneers and progress is our prerogative.
Here at Vertical, we are developing the UK's first fully electric, vertical take-off and landing aircraft (eVTOL), the VX4. With zero-operating emissions. Vertical is transforming the way people travel through offering a faster, safer and greener way to move.
Founded in 2016, Vertical is a leading aerospace and technology company, with the largest global pre-order book with prestigious airline partners such as Virgin Atlantic and American Airlines, and our exceptional partner ecosystem includes the likes of Rolls-Royce and Honeywell.
My Impact as the Senior Battery Test Engineer
You are a team player, and you enable your team to perform at their best by giving clear direction, and push back on requests when they do not align with the battery team mission. You embody the aerospace 'just work culture', and you advocate for your team to work with integrity in everything they do. The team has freedom to be fast-paced, innovative and creative, and you believe that the best engineering idea should always win. As the Senior Battery Test Engineer you will make decisions based on the best compromise of cost, timing, safety, weight and quality and stand by team decisions and are able to justify them to external stakeholders. What success will look like for the Senior Battery Test Engineer
What can you expect from us?
- Help support the coordination of battery test team activities to meet battery team deliverables on time and within budget.
- Lead and support the development of internal test procedures and standards through engaging with the wider battery team and business.
- Robustly record test methodology and results for certification authorities and the wider business to review
- Lead planning, delivery and reporting for battery testing activities that are associated with mechanical, thermal and electrical performance of the battery assembly and its sub systems, examples of which are:
- Long term electrical cycling
- Battery abuse testing (drop, thermal runaway, crush, short circuit, mechanical shock)
- Battery vibration testing
- Characterisation testing for the development of new simulation models.
- Ground equipment testing which is associated with the battery assembly.
- Battery management system testing
- Battery cooling system testing
- Scheming and designing electrical systems to enable various test activities, this can cover HV and LV networks/systems of the battery assembly.
- Perform risk assessments of testing activities and ensure the right measures, documentation and measures are in place, whilst being a role model of the company's safety-first culture.
- Support the planning, development and delivery of new battery test facilities.
- Mentoring others within the company to ensure knowledge is shared
- Leading test operations at third party facilities away from normal operating base and when required to travel and work extended hours
- Supporting the development of requests for information and requests for quotation for testing services and equipment from third party providers.
- Support the definition of requirements for the battery system and battery associated group equipment
- Lead and support the writing of technical documentation for the aircraft
- To undertake live working on high voltage battery assemblies in support of pre and post test inspections, instrumentation and system analysis.
For us it is important that people feel valued for the impact they have and are able to thrive and experience the career journey of a lifetime. Our overall approach to reward seeks to offer competitive packages that attract the diverse and talented people we need to achieve our ambitious objectivesOur Vertical Additional Benefits
Our Ways of Working
- 'Primary Benefits' are available as standard, 5% Pension Match, 2 x Salary Life Insurance, Income Protection, 26 days + bank holiday and the opportunity for extra 5 days when getting married or forming a civil partnership
- 'Flex Fund Benefits' are benefits that don't come as standard, but you can 'pay' for using a company provided 'Flex Fund' (equal to 4% of salary) Private Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, EV Car Subscription, Home EV Charger, Holiday Buy, Pension Top Up, and many more
- 'Payroll benefits' Workplace ISA, Commuter Loan, Interest Free Technology Loans
- 'Extra benefits' are the many benefits we offer that can be accessed through our rewards platform, incl. Discounted Shopping Scheme, Eye Care Benefits, Free Mortgage Advice, Financial and Comprehensive Wellness Benefits
- Eligibility to participate in our market leading employee long-term-incentive plan
In the UK we have two offices and a Battery facility in Bristol, an office in London and a site in Kemble with well stocked free kitchen provisions including hot drinks, fruit and breakfasts every weekday. Our typical full time working week is 37.5 hours. We recognise the world of work is rapidly evolving and that 9-5 is no longer a fitting pattern for many. We want to support all employees to deliver their roles to the best possible standard by offering an additional level of flexibility between our sites and home where suitable for your role. Typically, this is agreed with your team, ensuring there are times for collaboration on site and work from home as appropriate.Do you like the look of this opportunity but not sure if you meet all the criteria we've outlines?
Here at Vertical, we are working to create an environment of growth, diversity and opportunities for people to take on challenges and push the status quo.
We understand some people may not apply to jobs unless they tick every box. If you're excited about joining us and think you have much of what we're looking for, even if you're not 100% sure... we'd love to hear from you.
This is an on-going advert and interviews will be held on an ad-hoc basis until sufficient applications have been received.