Grid Connections Manager
London, Douglas House
Engineering, EV Charging
Contract (12 Months)
8 per day/ 40 per week
Engagement via umbrella company only
Must have the right to work and reside in the UK.
An integral part of bp’s transition from an International Oil Company to an Integrated Energy Company is the entry of electrical vehicle (EV) charging markets in key countries e.g. UK, Germany, Spain, US and China. Our mission is to create the fastest and most convenient charger network in the markets we operate in.
This is an opportunity to join a business with an envious position in a fast-growing business, and ultimately help enable more people to transition to electric vehicles. You will not just be part of the biggest change in the automotive industry for a century - you will be at the forefront of it as we shape the EV charging market in key regions.
This Grid Connections Manager role plays a key part in the EV roll out by managing the grid connections process for multiple projects from feasibility through to delivery/energisation. You will be at the fore front as the main point of contact for DNOs/DSOs, IDNOs and ICPs liaison for the purpose of progressing the pipeline of EV projects and roll out of other innovative solutions.
Success is contributing to the fast-paced role out of this unique charging solution, through quality design solutions whilst facing the challenges of complex brownfield and greenfield sites.
- Manage the grid connections process for multiple projects from feasibility to energisation
- Main point of contact for DNO/DSO and TSO liaison
- Works with the Network Development Team to determine the power requirements for potential sites that are being evaluated for acquisition, including enquiries with the DNO’s on power availability
- Coordinate/Support external and internal parties with the Grid Connection activities
- Carry out power feasibility assessments, submit DNO/DSO applications and optimise connection offers
- Review Connection Offers and Budget Estimates in terms of technical and commercial requirements
- Carry out technical assurance for designs ensuring compliance with Distribution Code, G99, G100, P28, P29 etc.
- Support/input to initial layouts, CAPEX and timelines to optimise connection to site
- Provide technical support to other functions (such as planning, HSSE, etc) to allow site to be defined – output is Statement of Requirement (SoR)
- Ensure projects meet engineering standards and that design proceeds compliant with bp’s Operating Management System (OMS)
- Capture Lessons Learned through engineering and installation delivery and ensure Continuous Improvement throughout our EV deployments
You will need:
- Preferably a university degree in Engineering
- Strong technical knowledge of LV, HV and EHV grid connections, standards, regulations, constraints, and requirements
- Relevant years’ experience within the UK
- Experience working for IDNOs, DSOs, TSO, ICPs or Power System Consultancies
- Knowledge of the use of LTDS and other public data available to carry out initial Feasibility assessments
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships with external parties
- Good organisational and analytical skills
- A strong track record in project delivery or in supporting complex Project management
- Fluent in English
- Competency and experience in the grid connection of renewable energy projects
- Proficiency in power systems analysis
- Direct experience of industry standards in the EV and Battery Energy Storage space
- Sound knowledge of EV charging technology and thorough understanding of the operation and structures of charging networks and how they are integrated
- Chartered Engineer or equivalent (working towards application would be considered)
- Fluent in any of French, German, Spanish, Polish
Values & Behaviour:
- Follow and uphold the rules and standards of BP and hold others to account for doing the same thing.
- Support those I work with and help to build the effectiveness of my team to achieve the best results.