ZeroAvia is a leader in zero-emission aviation, flying the world’s largest hydrogen-electric aircraft since September 2020. Our focus is the design and commercialization of hydrogen-powered aviation solutions to address a variety of markets, initially targeting short-haul, sub-regional commercial flights up to 500 miles. To date, ZeroAvia has secured the UK CAA and FAA experimental permit to fly for its 6 seat aircraft powered by hydrogen-electric powertrain, passed significant flight tests, and is on track for commercial deliveries by 2024. Its achievements to date were rewarded by the UK prime minister by inviting ZeroAvia as a member to the UK Jet Zero Council.
ZeroAvia’s powertrain development focuses on tightly integrating H2 Fuel Cell power systems and storage, along with electric drivetrain components, to deliver a unified solution that is both environmentally friendly and economically superior to traditional aircraft drivetrain solutions.
Working closely with other engineering functions, assume responsibility for all aspects of thermal management of power and propulsion systems. Demonstrate recent practical experience and comprehensive knowledge of various thermodynamic technologies to help meet current and future system requirements. Be prepared to act as a subject matter expert and lead on thermal topics.
Dynamic approach to complex problem solving including utilising empirical methods, basic calculations from first principles and 1D & 3D simulation tools. Use CAD to create designs and drawings of related system components and assemblies, and maintain design data in PLM system in accordance with company and industry standards.
Self-starter, diligent, results focused and flexible. Aerospace experience, knowledge of CAA, EASA, FAA certification processes and objectives a plus.
- All aspects of system thermal management from design to manufacture, including requirements capture and definition
- Detailed design, analysis, testing and verification in line with aerospace regulations
- Specification and delivery of equipment such as heat exchangers, system plumbing and instrumentation
- Support certification plan means of compliance with regulatory bodies
- Liaise closely with internal and external stakeholders to ensure accurate and efficient implementation of thermal solutions and requirements
- Where necessary be responsible for / assist with fault finding and/or design evolution
- Host, participate, present as appropriate in internal and external design and project reviews
- Definition and reporting of project timing and cost management
- Innovative thermal concept generation, prototype design and development
- Support bids by providing technical solutions, estimates and plans
Experience and qualifications
Education: Bachelor's degree in an appropriate discipline and commensurate depth of technical experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- First hand knowledge of implementing innovative thermal management solutions
- Experience with integrating both proprietary technologies and new product development
- Prior knowledge of H2 fuel cell and/or electric powertrain cooling systems a plus
- Conversant with associated components such as heatsinks, pipework, pumps, valves and sensors
- Working knowledge of phase change, high and low temperature thermodynamics
- Experience of high voltage enclosures, power electronics and associated thermal management practices a plus
- User of MATLAB Simulink/Simscape or similar 1D thermo-fluid software
- Experience of commercial CFD codes (e.g. Ansys Fluent/CFX)
SolidWorks CAD including engineering drawings, surface modelling a plus
- Use of Teamcenter PLM or similar
- Knowledge of materials, finishes and other processes including additive manufacturing
- Hands-on experience of testing and validation in physical and/or virtual domains
- Commensurate depth of related aerospace industry experience
- Have the ability to assimilate technology and technical details quickly and communicate the requirements clearly to ZeroAvia colleagues and stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal skills and level of spoken and written English, additional languages a plus
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as part of a growing multinational team
Diversity and inclusion
ZeroAvia is an equal opportunity employer and as a young company in the aviation industry, we value diversity and need people of different backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives, and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, and creativity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status