ZeroAvia is a leader in zero-emission aviation, flying the world's largest hydrogen-electric aircraft. Our focus is the design and commercialization of hydrogen-powered aviation solutions to address a variety of markets; initially targeting short-haul, sub-regional commercial flights up to 500 miles. To date, ZeroAvia has secured the UK CAA and FAA experimental permit to fly for its 19-seater Dornier 228. We successfully flew the Dornier in January 2022 and we are now gearing up for commercial production. Our achievements to date have been rewarded with significant investment and being invited by UK Prime Minister to be a member of the UK Jet Zero Council.
ZeroAvia’s powertrain development focuses on integrating hydrogen storage tanks, fuel cell systems, and electric motors, delivering a solution that will be not only without carbon emissions but also cheaper to operate. Commercializing the solution requires the establishment of a new clean aviation ecosystem, encompassing hydrogen production from renewable energy sources and tackling public perception of safety.About the role:
The Safety & Reliability Engineer supports the engineering team in understanding how the system will deteriorate as it progresses through life and ultimately fail, determining what the resulting failure effects might be.Key responsibilities:
Essential experience and qualifications:
- Utilize understanding of how fuel cell systems, hydrogen systems and their associated subsystems fail and characterize those failures numerically, using probabilistic and deterministic mathematical methods;
- Develop and maintain safety and reliability models for the fuel cell system, hydrogen management system and associated subsystems;
- Facilitate R&M tasks (FMEA, FMECA FTA, etc) with component-responsible engineers and suppliers;
- Utilize reliability models and analysis as inputs to system life cycle cost models and system op-operation and maintenance planning strategies;
- Work closely with system engineers to develop and cascade reliability requirements from the aircraft level to the subsystem and component level;
- Work closely with component responsible engineers and suppliers/partners to analyze the reliability of designs and ensure reliability is considered from the onset in the initial design stage.
- A degree level qualification in a STEM subject and/or experience in a relevant engineering environment (Mechanical, Aeronautical, Propulsion, Electrical or Controls). Other qualifications, in combination with relevant experience, may also be considered.
- Strong skills in mathematics and experience with statistical techniques
- A logical approach to problem-solving the ability to collect, filter and analyze data from design, test and service using various statistical techniques.
- knowledge/experience in Safety & Reliability engineering.
- Experience in applying Reliability & Safety processes and tools e.g. Hazard Analysis, Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), Failure Modes Effects & Criticality Analysis (FMECA), Failure Reporting Analysis and Corrective Action System (FRACAS)
Diversity and inclusion
- Experience in de velopment and layout of PEM Fuel cell systems for mobile applications
- Experience in design, characterization, verification, and testing of fuel cell system components.
- Experience in developing fuel cell system Balance of plant (BoP) components and understanding of PEM fuel cell stack operating conditions, stack testing and characterization.
- Knowledge and understanding of the requirements and methods for showing compliance to 14 CFR 25.1309
- Experience and Knowledge of Development Assurance and ARP4754A and AC20-174
- Proficient in requirements development for aerospace systems and hardware
- Development Assurance and experience with ARP4754A and AC20-174
- Experience and knowledge of design requirements for High Voltage systems as part of PEM fuel cell systems.
- Experience in Engineering Simulation Software (ANSYS, MATLAB Simulink, Python)
ZeroAvia is an equal opportunity employer and as a young company in the aviation industry, we value diversity and need people of different backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives, and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, and creativity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.