Hybrid. Remote with 1 day a week in London preferred (UK wide applications accepted)Salary:
Full Time; 40hrs/ week, with flexible start/end timeAbout Generation
Generation is a charity with the mission to place people into life-changing careers that would otherwise be inaccessible to them.
We deliver clear pathways to careers via profession-specific skills bootcamps, connecting our learner to vacancies with our employer partners and extensive one-to-one coaching and support.
We focus our work on supporting diverse groups of learners facing barriers to employment and areconstantly looking to expand our reach, and ensure we reach under-represented groups. Our learners are ~70% ethnic minorities in the UK, ~20% with a physical or mental health challenge or disability, and ~30% long-term unemployed for >12 months.
We achieve industry-leading employment outcomes for our learners, consistently placing 70% of learners into jobs paying an average of £24k/year and that would have been otherwise inaccessible to them.
Our innovative bootcamps train learners for roles in high, unmet employer demand across the tech, health and green sectors. Programmes include cloud computing, data engineering, IT support, data analytics, healthcare assistant and retrofit advisor (an innovative new green jobs programme!).
We have grown and continue to grow rapidly supporting >2000 people across the UK and Ireland since 2019 and from part of a global network of 16 other Generation country operations which has supported >70,000.
On the journey, we’ve developed enduring partnerships across the public sector - where we deliver skills bootcamps for local authorities across the UK - and private sector where we’re working with Macquarie, Microsoft and JP Morgan (to name but three…) to launch new programmes geared at driving step changes in social mobility.
We’re super proud of what we’ve achieved and excited about what’s to come!
Find out more and by looking at our website or watching some learner stories on our youtube channel. You can also learn more about our culture, directly from our incredible people - What is it like to work at Generation?About The Role
We are looking for a Data and Ops Analyst to lead work at the heart of Generation’s day-to-day operations.
At Generation, we put “data at the centre”. Insight based on statistics, analysis and investigation drives our activity, decision making and planning every day. It’s also a key strength. Our private sector and public sector partners regularly highlight the depth of our data, the sharp nature of our analysis and how real-time dashboards keep stakeholders and us informed. (We collect 100 data points plus on every applicant!)
In this role, you’ll be key to this. You’ll lead the next stage of our data and systems strategy as the organisation matures and grows, designing and scaling a modern, sector-leading data architecture of flows and dashboards. The work will be detailed and complex, requiring working with multiple tools (Alteryx, Salesforce, Powerbi, Excel/Gsheets, …), blending them together for efficient and automatic streams with extensive iteration and problem-solving.
The role will also shape our day-to-day tech and operational processes crucial for our delivery. This will include line-managing a junior colleague to coordinate a number of critical logistical processes, such as the delivery of laptops, dongles and graduation packs across our UK&I-wide learners. This work will also mean collaborating with our operational teams that work directly with our learner and employer partners. This could include rolling out a new survey method to better capture programme experience, supporting the placement team to better capture their case load, and/or supporting the partnerships team to step-change their sales flow. In each case you’d building the data systems and
operational checklists and timelines and brief the teams involved.
This role will form part of the Growth, Data and Operations team, reporting directly to the function’s Director (who in turn reports to the CEO).
The role is a unique and exciting opportunity for someone who relishes the challenges associated with designing and troubleshooting data and operational processes, getting into the detail and making things work like clockwork.
The work will be fast-paced and the impact clear!Key Responsibilities
The role will have the following key responsibilities:Manage a data infrastructure that supports Generation’s growth and impact
Deliver and improve key central operational processes
- Design, build, and maintain ETL processes to clean and transform our data for reporting (e.g. using alteryx) and analysis working with Generation’s Global data team to implement improvements.
- Continuously improve existing data reporting and dashboard (in Powerbi) to support decision-making at all levels
- Analyse data seeking insights and making suggestions to improve our impact.
- Support the Funding and Grant Management team to produce and deliver monthly reporting for key partners
- Regularly review and deliver improvements to data collection, ensuring completeness, standardisation and accuracy
- Example KPIs: Power BI usage statistics, staff satisfaction, funder reporting on time
Deliver high standards of data and system compliance
- Lead central operational processes including our national provision to learners of laptops/wifi and end-of-class packs
- Line manage the IT Operations Associate to deliver on these processes, helping that colleague grow and develop in their role
- Support operational functions to implement new operational/data tracking processes (e.g. partnerships team sales/lead tracking).
- Serve as the subject matter expert on all core tech systems (including GenRecruiting - our bespoke recruiting software - and Salesforce - our CRM for learners and employers) delivering on projects to improve their usage
- Example KPIs: # items delivered on time, # new laptops ordered (minimisd), learner feedback, initiative-specific targets
Contribute to the wider success and growth of Generation
- Act as the organisation’s Data Protection Lead ensuring our organisation is abiding to GDPR best practices, dealing with data breaches and subject access requests, and acting as the key contact with our external expert GDPR advisor
- Ensure IT processes and systems meet the requirements of “Cyber Essentials” and work towards increased compliance up to “Plus” standards.
- Example KPIs: % staff trained in key processes, Cybersecurity and GDPR standards achieved
- Lead weekly training sessions with a junior group of staff to support their tech/analysis skills development
- Actively and respectfully participate in team and staff meetings and retreats
- Get close to our impact and work as a charity, devoting time to delivering mock interviews for learners on cohorts, and helping out with interviewing prospective applicants with feedback afterwards
We’re looking for people passionate about making a difference,and excited to help us scale our social impact work in a fast-paced and fluid environment.
To succeed in the role we think you’ll need the following characteristics/attributes:
- You’re a problem solver - you have a solutions-oriented attitude and run towards challenges
- You’re a tech and process leader - you learn new technologies (e.g., Salesforce) quickly and enjoy being the expert
- You’re detail and data orientated - you’ revel and thrive in numbers, information and detail, encouraging others to take a data-driven approach
- You’re passionate about the cause - you understand the need for our work to build a better society
- You build great relationships with colleagues and can communicate technical concepts to non-technical people
We also think you’ll need the following experience…
- Experience with data ETL tools (Alteryx or Snowflake preferred), data visualization (preferably PowerBI) and with a broad range of tools and tech for data management (preferably, a mix of Salesforce and/or relational databases).
- Clear verbal and written communication skills, particularly in the context of telling stories with data to technical and non-technical audiences.
- (Preferred) Experience managing a junior/direct report for >6 months
- (Preferred) Experience as a subject matter expert with technology platforms, e.g. Salesforce, Hubspot, Asana, Microsoft Power Platforms, Zapier etc.
- (Preferred) Experience with organisational compliance with IT and data regulations (e.g. Cyber essentials certification process, ISO 27001, GDPR compliance) and a strong understanding of data privacy and security best practice
At Generation, we're changing the lives of many individuals, and that in itself gets us out of bed! Here are a few other benefits you'll experience working with the UK team:
A FAIR CHANCE
- Purpose and social impact in the heart of your work;
- Opportunity to make your mark - you'll have a lot of autonomy to bring the Generation blueprint to life in a way that makes sense for your region;
- Opportunity to get involved with a range of activities and varied projects - we're a small team, so there are lots of opportunities to get involved in projects across the whole organisation;
- We offer Flexible and remote working to accommodate everyone's preferred working pattern/preferences and unique needs.;
- WFH set up offer of support of £300 to help you make your working-from-home setup comfortable and efficient;
- Professional Development is a priority for Generation and employees and you can access to up to £1,000 towards your learning & development per year. This support is accompanied by up to 5 days of training days/ study leave per year to enable your development activities.
Every role at Generation is open to applications from all sections of society. We believe in the potential of everyone; regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other aspect that makes you, well, you.
We believe that the more diverse we are the better we become. More than just encouraging your application, we're committed to conscious inclusion that (we hope) cultivates an ethos of belonging, connection and shared purpose. We go further together. It’s this philosophy that drives us towards our mission. We open our doors to those who share this mindset.
We are particularly interested in hearing from candidates from marginalised groups. We will assess applications on a rolling basis and close this posting as soon as we have found the right candidate. We look forward to hearing from you.How To Apply
We operate a multi-stage application process including the following steps, as we aim to fairly assess candidates against a rubric.
- CV and details upload (cover letter not required, expected or evaluated and may not be read!)
- A set of written answer questions in the application form
- A recorded video interview at a time of your choosing
- A live video interview
- A follow-up senior manager interview
- DBS check on offer