The purpose of this position is to design and manage the vessel plan for discharge and load operations. The planning process considers vessel stability, safety, and an efficient yard and vessel operation. It must be done within correct timeframe and deliver a remarkable customer service to the Shipping Line. This position is responsible for an efficient use of the Terminal Operating System using established standards and best practices. During operations, also monitors that vessel stowage to be executed according to plan and providing alternative plans in case of deviation to ensure productivity and capacity targets are safely met.
During Terminal design phase the vessel planner shall support the design, analysis, development, and implementation of the complete vessel planning processes and training material.
- Prepares, communicates, and controls the vessel plan for discharge and load operations.
- Process various vessel related EDIs and follow up on their timely submission as applicable.
- Participates in shift handovers meetings to update on planned items: vessel in/out, game plan, internal movements planned, productivities, etc.
- Ensure efficient and highly productive planning as per established standard with due consideration to the vessel stability and safety under load and discharge.
- Responsible of managing the Terminal stowage plan acceptance prior vessel operations
- Interact closely with the shipping lines regarding additional stowage changes during operations.
- Responsible for providing vessel and shipping agents with information about vessel load and discharge processes.
- Maintain ownership of the vessels under your control and assist if planning disturbances occur during vessel call.
- Monitor and fine-tune the vessel operation to ensure that vessel planning is satisfactory and meets the stowage requirements and international safety standards.
- Ensure that the Terminal Operating System is properly updated according to vessel operation.
- Communicates with Execution Supervisors, Process and Engineering teams on planned activities and follows up when planned resources unavailable.
- Reports the Vessel KPI´s at the correct time.
- Ensure a timely delivery of Terminal Departure Report per vessel call.
- Advice for support material to be in place prior to shortage or system failure: TOS, printer, vehicles, stationary, etc.
- Maintain a continuous improvement mindset by actively seeking ways to reduce wastes in operations through optimizing the planning processes.
- Constantly pursue for ways to improve own skills level in using the terminal operating system.
During Terminal Design phase:
- Define process flows and procedures.
- Define best practices within his role and responsibilities.
- Actively participate in the implementation of the TOS in its different phases.
- Participate in the development, testing and implementation of functional, integration, stress, performance, regression, and user acceptance tests.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology, engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in vessel planning positions
- High level of planning and organizational skills
- Ability to maintain high level quality of work under pressure
- Requires TOS experience for container handling and advanced computer skills
- High level of integrity and able to collaborate effectively in a dynamic environment maintaining good relationship to customer, staff and other project team members
- Must have good analytical skills to be able to provide solutions to issues/exception in a relatively short timeframe
- Expertise and solid understanding of conventional and semiautomated container terminal operations and container handling equipment
- Requires advanced level of verbal and written communications skills in English