This is a leadership position for an experienced and motivated engineer who wants to drive hydrogen and energy infrastructure via a compelling use case, namely airports as energy hubs, and aircraft as a primary offer. The infrastructure team is focused on supporting the decarbonisation of airports through novel electrolytic operations and fueling transportation through liquid hydrogen. It is a small, highly talented, focused and motivated team and we believe it will be possible to accelerate the productisation of LH2, grid stabilisation and electrolyser technologies within this decade. We work with leading airports, utilities, fuel service providers and technology partners and we are building the future today–come and join us.
In this role, you will work closely with the Infrastructure Leadership Team across strategy, and commercialisation and report to the Head of Infrastructure Products. This role needs strong creative engineering skills, project management, team leadership and organization to manage a thriving and growing set of complex programmes in Liquid Hydrogen, gaseous hydrogen and conversion technologies. Project sizes may be small today but are complex and we expect them to grow in the next 12-24 months and eventually scale to multiple million-dollar investments. The role will cover US, UK and EU opportunities.
ZeroAvia is a leader in zero-emission aviation, flying the world’s largest hydrogen-electric aircraft since September 2020. Our focus is the design and commercialization of hydrogen-powered aviation solutions to address a variety of markets, initially targeting short-haul, sub-regional commercial flights up to 500 miles. To date, ZeroAvia has secured the UK CAA and FAA experimental permit to fly for its 6-seat aircraft powered by hydrogen-electric powertrain, passed significant flight tests, and is on track for commercial deliveries by 2023. Its achievements to date were rewarded by the UK prime minister by inviting ZeroAvia as a member of the UK Jet Zero Council. ZeroAvia’s powertrain development focuses on tightly integrating H2 Fuel Cell power systems and storage, along with electric drivetrain components, to deliver a unified solution that is both environmentally friendly and economically superior to traditional aircraft drivetrain solutions.Responsibilities
- Highly motivated to work hands-on with laboratory-scale hydrogen production, compression, liquefaction and auxiliary equipment. Lead hydrogen infrastructure product development from concept design through execution and startup from a subsystems-based approach. Liaison with specialists onsite to address speciality work.
- Operate, troubleshoot, and maintain key units including electrolysers, compressors and potentially cryogenic systems. Comfortable working with a multidisciplinary team including experts from electrical, software and safety teams.
- Mastery of at least 3 processes, gas, rotating equipment, maintenance/reliability or power engineering–preferably operational exposure to a number of disciplines leading to design integration roles
- Expertise in liquid hydrogen or other cryogenic systems
- Customer facing: the ability to engage with the local market including specialists in materials, thermodynamics, turbomachinery pressure equipment etc and integrate as needed into projects
- Develop and own safety procedures to be employed by workers operating equipment or working in close proximity to ongoing chemical reactions. Collaborate with safety focal points within the company to ensure a consistent approach across sites.
- Develop processes to separate components of liquids or gases or generate electrical currents, using controlled chemical processes
- Evaluate gaseous and liquid hydrogen equipment and processes to identify ways to optimize performance or to ensure compliance with safety and environmental regulations.
- Design measurement and control systems for hydrogen manufacture based on data collected in laboratory experiments and in pilot plant operations.
- Assist engineering and other personnel to solve operations problems.
- Support the development, design, or construction of energy conservation projects to ensure the acceptability of budgets and timelines, conformance to federal and state laws, or adherence to approved specifications.
- Hands-on approach with the ability to scale the team going forward: comfort with design, thermodynamic and CFD packages.
- Engineering; science/engineering degree necessary; further qualifications such as engineering specialism, PhD or professional engineer qualification a bonus
- Innovation, growth hacking project development experience within process industries, industrial gas companies, hard tech, automotive (CNG/H2), EPCM and O&G all strong
- Quantifiable Experience of delivery under pressure, a range of roles spanning gas technologies, cryogenics, operations (e.g. refining and chemicals) and engineering is necessary
- Top tier companies/start-ups track record with the desire to build something in a nimble but disciplined fashion.
- LH2 experience is a definite bonus; the ability to come up the curve on H2 codes, standards etc a must.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally, in writing and visually necessary
- Mastery with ANSYS (or similar), Solidworks (or similar)
Diversity and inclusion
ZeroAvia is an equal opportunity employer and as a young company in the aviation industry, we value diversity and need people of different backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives, and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, and creativity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.