Requisition ID: 263373
- Relocation Authorized: National/International - Single
- Telework Type: N/A
- Work Location: Sharma
Design Manager - Power SystemsProject Description
NEOM Project Summary: Saudi Arabian Bechtel Company will provide executive project management consultancy services (including technical, commercial, and construction management) for the development of certain defined aspects of the NEOM Infrastructure in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.”
NEOM is a planned Border_town" style="color:blue" target="_blank"> cross-border city in the Tabuk Province of northwestern Saudi Arabia. The site is near the Red Sea and the borders of Egypt, Israel, and Jordan. It will cover a total area of26,500 km2 (10,200 sq. mi) and will extend 460 km along the coast of the Red Sea .”
NEOM will be the home and workplace to more than a million residents from around the world. It will include towns and cities, ports and enterprise zones, research centers, sports and entertainment venues, and tourist destinations. As a hub for innovation, entrepreneurs, business leaders, and companies will come to research, incubate, and commercialize new technologies and enterprises in groundbreaking ways.Detailed Job Description Summary
This key role provides technical and management leadership of activities relating to the Power system design and implementation, ensures the Employer Requirements are met by the suppliers and that robust justifications and technical assurance can be produced in support of the product Safety Cases and eventual NEOM Project Safety Case.
This role provides technical oversight of activities relating to the Traction Power and Non-Traction Power design and implementation and ensures robust justifications and technical assurance can be produced in support of the Traction Power and E&P product Safety Cases and eventual NEOM Project Safety Case.Job Duties
Qualifications/Experience Essential Technical Skills
- Manage the Power Systems team and support the Rail Systems Director in leading the delivery of Rail Systems
- Coordinate with NEOM Projects and Sectors in the definition of Power systems requirements.
- Support the client to define the electrical system requirements and expectations, focusing on railway electrical requirements as opposed to building services.
- Technical oversight and management of all Traction Power and non-Traction Power relevant Engineering activities so that they result in affordable and meet Programme requirements in a safe and environmentally responsible manner for time, cost, and quality.
- Ensure that robust safety management process is undertaken within the BEC and subsequent design and delivery contractors and identify any risks in the design of the operational railway.
- Support the specification and review of functions and characteristics of the operational railway identifying the system hazards and system assurance which will need to be addressed.
- Attending BEC and the design and delivery contractors electrical HAZOPs, SAFOPs, Power System Design review, Traction Power System Simulation and Studies, IDCs/IDRs, etc., sessions with Executive Project Management Engineers in line with the NEOM Projects processes.
- Support the identification of risk and measures including system safety analysis associated with the above Studies and other safety risk assessments and ALARP justification.
- Support the preparation and implementation of system safety assurance documentation and requirements management processes.
- Integrates and coordinates with the various Engineering and Systems Engineering disciplines.
- Oversees all Traction Power and E&P design and construction technical coordination and interface issues.
- Support the flow down of Traction Power and E&P requirements along with the review of verification and validating information and data received from other entities.
- Providing inputs into the common NEOM Projects risk register and participating in its regular review and during the life of the project.
- Providing advice as required on Power systems pertinent to railway operation.
- Support the System Assurance and Integration Manager in review of system assurance documentation to ensure the required Traction Power and E&P performance can be verified.
- Assist the System Assurance and Integration Manager with the review and acceptance of the design and delivery contractors Safety Cases for the elements, products and systems being delivered. The review and acceptance of the safety cases will take account of the safety argument and the safety evidence put forward incrementally, including supporting safety analyses and other supporting evidence/justifications.
- Support the NEOM Projects Independent Safety Assessor’s (ISA) review & coordinate the activities and the resolution and closure of observations raised.
- Understand a live operational construction environment with significant safety hazards including moving trains and 25kV Overhead Line Electrification.
- Ensuring Traction Power and E&P stage works considerations are addressed in the contractor's design.
- Ensuring required interface between Tracton System power system, and Rail station power system network for grouding, traction power continuiuty and other critical areas.
- Undertaking reviews of contractor design submittals relating to Traction Power and E&P.
- Undertaking reviews as required of other contractor technical submittals (including task briefs and work package plans) relating to systems assurance.
- Undertaking reviews of contractor inspection and test plans relating to Traction Power and E&P.
- Undertaking reviews of contractor handover plans.
- Support NEOM Projects in the liaison with Shadow Operator, ISA and Rail operators appointed.
- Take personal responsibility to ensure self and others’ health and safety – including those who may be affected by the delivery of this role.
- Co‐operate in all matters relating to health, safety, and environment, including following safe working procedures at all times and not deviating from agreed safe system of work.
- Advocate, promote and engage Bechtel’s health, safety and environmental policies and initiatives.
- Conducts annual performance reviews in accordance with approved procedures and holds career development discussions.
Essential Behavioral Skills
- Degree or postgraduate qualification in science, engineering of Electrical discipline from an accredited university or equivalent qualification.
- Minimum 15 years of progressive experience in delivering rail projects.
- Proven ability in the engineering delivery of railway infrastructure projects and specifically railway Power systems.
- Experience of the different Traction Power systems for High-Speed Rail, freight, and metro railways.
- Thorough knowledge of discipline engineering techniques, the design of engineered systems, and engineering and design calculations.
- Understands the principles of EN 50126 standard.
- Knowledge of Common Safety Method
- Knowledge of power sytem design review, traction power system simulatin software and studies
- Fully knowledgeable and conversant with relevant European, American, and international civil engineering and railway codes and standards
- Extensive knowledge of Traction Power and E&P equipment, systems and processes, Traction Power and E&P design, testing & commissioning, and handover procedures.
- Extensive experience in Auto Transformer distribution systems; High and Medium Voltage AC distribution systems; Low voltage AC/DC distribution systems; Overhead line equipment; Interfaces with the bulk supply points/substations; coordination with local power companies to obtain information regarding their substation design interfaces, incoming power; Traction power plans and details showing general layout of equipment for substations; Stray current and cathodic protection; Structure and utility bonding.
- Knowledge of Requirements Management and associated tools.
- Knowledge of Interface Management and the management of Traction Power and E&P to civil and Traction Power and E&P to rail system interfaces.
- Broad knowledge of precedents in the rail industry.
- Strong English language communication and report writing skills.
- Ability to prepare clear strategic planning procedures and user-friendly templates to assist entities in undertaking forward, strategic planning.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Design Suite software programs and have the ability to prepare reports.
Shaping tomorrow together
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical and communication skills (oral and written).
- Willingness to relocate to the job site in Saudi Arabia.
- Proactive, supportive, inquisitive, challenging and result driven.
- Hard working and motivated with high self-initiative.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments, changing priorities and work with ambiguity.
- Help others and receive help from others in achieving goals.
- Willingness to mentor others.
- Acknowledge and value contribution from other team members.
- Promote the creation of a work environment, supported by leadership, which fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
In accordance with Bechtel's duty to provide and maintain a safe workplace for our employees and to safeguard the health of our families, customers, and visitors, we have adopted mandatory COVID-19 safety protocols for each work location, which may include a vaccination or testing requirement. Please speak with your Bechtel recruiter to determine which protocols apply to the work location for the job you are seeking.