Wood Mackenzie are the global research, analytics, and consultancy business powering the natural resources industry. For 50 years, we have been providing the quality data, analytics, and insights our customers rely on to inspire their decision making.
Our dedicated oil, gas & LNG, power & renewables, chemicals, metals & mining sector teams are located around the world and deliver a variety of projects based on our assessment and valuation of thousands of individual assets, companies, and economic indicators such as market supply, demand, and price trends.
We have over 1,900 employees in 30 locations, serving customers in nearly 80 countries. Together, we inspire and innovate the markets we serve – providing invaluable intelligence to help our customers overcome the toughest challenges, and make strategic decisions that will, ultimately, accelerate the world’s transition to a more sustainable future.WoodMac.com
Wood Mackenzie brand video
We are seeking an individual with gas/LNG commercial experience, and management consulting skills, to help grow our Gas & LNG consulting practice in the EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa) Region. The Principal Consultant will be a senior member of the EMEA Gas & LNG consulting team based in London or Edinburgh, responsible for delivering an expanding range of gas/LNG commercial consulting assignments. As a Principal Consultant, you will take a leading role in our project team delivering a wide variety of consulting projects to clients.
As a key member of our EMEA team, you will be responsible for project managing commercially-driven consultancy projects and for helping us enhance and deepen our advisory relationship with clients. You will be supported to grow your understanding of the evolving gas & LNG sector to become an industry subject matter expert. The position requires the ability to apply detailed knowledge of and experience in the gas/LNG industry to a broad range of client situations, including the implications and opportunities inherent to the energy transition, and to develop strategic insight from an array of analyses, making use of our in-house tools and products.
While the role is part of the EMEA team, you will be involved in a range of consulting projects spanning the globe including the Americas and Asia. The successful candidate will therefore be expected to travel on a project-specific basis. Our clients include energy companies, private equity firms, financial institutions, infrastructure operators, investors, traders, governments and others.Main Responsibilities
- Project planning – define course of action to accomplish goal of assignment
- Maintain close communication with clients to keep them informed of progress and ensure projects bring impactful insights that add strategic value
- Organise proper resources for projects, manage project implementation, structure deliverables and ensure high-quality delivery within the budget and timeline
- Oversee the work of other members of the team including Associates
- Identify follow-up and resale opportunities
- Follow company consulting procedures and methodologies
- Develop relationships with consulting clients to foster repeat business
- Discuss consulting needs with clients, prepare and present proposals to clients
- Collaborate with the team to scope opportunities and to estimate fees for quotation
- Participate in industry events to network with potential clients, where appropriate
Analysis and Commercial/Strategic Intelligence
- Coach and mentor more junior consultants, taking personal responsibility for their development and tracking of their progress
- Support the regional VP of Gas & LNG Consulting in expanding the consulting practice
- Assist with the development of new consulting offerings, to provide better insights and solutions to our clients
- Work with colleagues in other sector consulting teams – Upstream, Downstream, Power & Renewables, Chemicals, Hydrogen, Emissions and Carbon Management – to ensure good coordination across the value chain for our clients
- Lead project reviews to foster continuous improvement
- Identify, obtain, sort and organise sources of information, both from the public domain, industry network and internal databases.
- Validate, analyse and critically assess sources of information
- Select an appropriate analytical tool(s) for each assignment, with the ability to also build simple excel models where required
- Utilise Wood Mackenzie products to extract information and data useful for the consulting engagement, when applicable
- Take ownership of and responsibility for analysis undertaken
Communication and approach
- Work in an open and trusting way ensuring team spirit is maintained
- Ensure high quality work standards are met
- Show empathy towards others
- Adopt flexible approach towards work
- Keep abreast of developments across the Gas & LNG space, to identify business development opportunities and to provide insightful discussions and results to clients
- Collaborate closely with project team members, consultants from other projects / regions / sectors, research and sales teams, etc.
- Offer solutions to problems and challenge the status quo
- Minimum of Bachelor degree in relevant field
- Preference for advance degree candidates (e.g. MBA, MSc, PhD)
- At least 6years experience within the natural gas/LNG sector with a strong understanding of the trends and drivers that are shaping the industry or equivalent experience in management consulting (energy-related management consulting preferred)
- Knowledge of other European languages (e.g. French) is advantageous but not a mandatory requirement
- Demonstrated passion for the Gas & LNG Sector
- Ability to quickly become knowledgeable and speak credibly about a wide-range of subjects and themes related to gas and LNG
- Ability to travel as required
- High levels of self-motivation and drive
- Personal time management skills and self-direction
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Excellent communication, influencing, negotiating and interpersonal skills
- Track record of ensuring high quality work standards are met and appropriate audit trails and processes are maintained
- Creativity and adaptability
- Determination and resilience
- Organisation and logical thinking
- Issue identification, problem solving and analysis
- Strong analytical and presentation skills
- Advanced Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel skills
- The successful candidate will be expected to work mainly from one of our offices. However, we are a hybrid working company and the successful applicant may work up to 2 days each week from home, however, this may be subject to change in the future.
- Due to the global nature of the team and clients, a degree of flexible working will be required to accommodate different time zones
WoodMackenzie is an equal opportunities employer.
We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran’s status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to WoodMackenzie, including unsolicited resumes sent to a WoodMackenzie business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to WoodMackenzie employees, will be considered WoodMackenzie property. WoodMackenzie will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of unsolicited resume.