Contract Term: Permanent
Closing date: 11th June 2023
Salary: Commensurate with experience
About the role:
We are looking for an outstanding, passionate, creative, and motivated individual to lead and grow the Energy Transition offer, team and impact. The role is responsible for leading the development of impactful new initiatives and business across the Carbon Trust with a focus on international countries and markets to accelerate the energy transition.
The Energy Transition team’s purpose is to enable the development of an affordable, user centric, flexible and zero carbon global energy system. The team do this through taking a whole system thinking approach underpinned by innovation, impartiality, and robust evidence generation. We are focused on a wide range of energy transition topics, including early coal retirement mechanisms, grid innovation, accelerating the adoption of energy flexibility, understanding the role of hydrogen, and helping governments set policy direction.
The Carbon Trust is a global climate consultancy driven by the mission to accelerate the move to a decarbonised future. We have been pioneering decarbonisation for more than 20 years for businesses, governments, and organisations around the world.
Drawing on a network of over 400 experts internationally, the Carbon Trust guides organisations through their journey to Net Zero. From strategic planning and target setting to delivery, activation, and communication - we provide smarter ways to turn intent into impact.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Bring an innovative and creative approach to new propositions that challenge clients and accelerate energy transition solutions
- Initiate and develop business opportunities for Carbon Trust through our energy Transition propositions, in line with the 3-year growth plan
- Pre-position, bring forth, research, champion, write, manage and/or participate in client proposals, leveraging and working collaboratively with Carbon Trust experts and partner organisations
- Build strategic alliances with stakeholders, and establish and manage a comprehensive network of key partners and clients
- Develop key large-scale, low-carbon programme opportunities that are based on our expertise, knowledge and network
- Represent the Carbon Trust by providing speeches, presentations and media interviews that explain what we do and market our work
- Provide direction and leadership across a portfolio of the Carbon Trust’s projects and programmes, working collaboratively with colleagues and partners
- Quality control deliverables and ensure that they meet or exceed client expectations
- Provide performance oversight across a portfolio of projects to ensure that the outputs are delivered on-time and within budget
Strategy, team management and operations:
- Continually develop, agree and implement the strategy for the Energy Transition team and provide input to the company’s wider strategy
- Lead a talented team, ensuring that the working environment is a productive and happy place to work and that all team members are suitably supported and inspired in their roles
- Build out the team and oversee recruitment and training in collaboration with the Energy Transition Director
- Ensure that the team comply with the relevant health, safety and environment policies. Ensure that Carbon Trust policies including procurement, anti-bribery and personal conduct are followed.
Knowledge management and learning:
- Lead the development and operation of the Energy Transition knowledge management plan.
- Monitor the development of low carbon policy, technologies and market trends to understand market potential and to develop new capabilities to deliver impact
- Keep track of policy news, publications and events on relevant topics including energy transition, energy flexibility, hydrogen, renewable energy, smart grid and energy storage
- Keep up-to-date with the development of new propositions and initiatives across the rest of the Carbon Trust, and ensure that the office’s knowledge management systems are effective
Key skills we are looking for:
- Can bring an entrepreneurial and innovative thinking approach to the team
- Creative development of new impactful initiatives that address future energy transition and system issues, e.g. energy flexibility, hydrogen, energy storage
- Excellent business development skills, including an ability to engage effectively with clients and senior stakeholders, as well as to craft successful business propositions
- Proven team and business leadership skills
- Collaborative approach to conducting work – a team player, who is responsive, reliable and consistently meets deadlines
- Exceptional communication skills (written and oral), with the ability to lead and run workshop sessions, present to audiences and write high quality reports and proposals
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build client and partner relationships and influence stakeholders
- Strong knowledge of low carbon policy, technology, finance and market context with a focus on the energy utility sector
- Excellent strategic problem-solving skills and solution development
- Comfort with financial analysis
Qualifications and experience:
- Significant experience working on and leading energy transition related activities, ideally with much of this time based in an energy supply, energy network, research/innovation body, academia, or consulting organisation
- Demonstrated leadership on strategic business development, including a strong track record of developing successful proposals in the low carbon space
- Demonstrated original thought and the ability to challenge conventional wisdom
- Strong relevant networks in the energy utility sector and government
- Experience of team leadership and line management
- Experience of communicating effectively in writing and speech at senior level for government and business audiences
- Experience of running projects, delivering high quality outputs, and managing budgets effectively
- Fluency in English, proficient in Spanish and/or Mandarin desirable
Salary & Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary and a performance based bonus. Our hours are 37.5 per week with 28 days paid holiday plus bank holidays and a generous pension scheme.
At the Carbon Trust we offer flexibility around working from home and our employees are able to work from home for half of their weekly working hours. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need.
Our head office is in London, close to Blackfriars and Waterloo stations, we offer travel card loans, a cycle to work scheme, company away days and a 24-hour Employee Assistance Helpline.
Joining the Carbon Trust provides an opportunity to work alongside some of the leading practitioners in the low carbon arena so if you are excited by this opportunity and would like to join us please follow the link to our application page and submit your CV and a cover letter.
We are an equal opportunities employer, value diversity in our workforce and make our decisions based on your skills and experience.
We can only accept applications from those who can prove their eligibility to work in the UK. No agencies or publications.
Please be aware that due to our hybrid working model the interviewing and onboarding processes may take place via video conferencing.
The Carbon Trust values are integrity, ambition, collaboration and excellence.