Trading Data ScienceSalary range:
£50,000 - 70,000Experience:
Dave Eagon - Trading Data Scientist LeadSponsorship:
Unfortunately we are unable to offer sponsorship for this role.This role in 3 words:
Technical. Collaborative. Challenging.Top 3 qualities for this role:
Smart. Cool-headed. Approachable.In the words of the team, you should leave your current role for this one because….
“You will be able to work on important problems, creating novel solutions, alongside other great people”
Everyone belongs at OVO
At OVO, we are on a mission to solve one of humanity's biggest challenges, the climate crisis. And we know it takes all of us to change the world. That's why we need diverse people from all gender identities, ethnicities, ages, sexual orientations, life experiences and backgrounds to join us.Teamworking for the planet
Everything we do here spins around Plan Zero. So, naturally, the team you’ll be joining plays a gigantic role in making that happen. Here’s how:
We are looking for the smartest people who want to work on the hardest problems. Our specialist data science team is collectively responsible for demand forecasting, forward curves, predictive modelling and advanced risk analytics.This role in a nutshell:
You will help us develop, deploy and maintain world class models and deliver deep insights to drive success at OVO. You will bring skills, knowledge and experience which complement the existing team.Your key outcomes will be:
- Supporting the core trading functions through demand forecasting and forward curve modelling. As part of the Data Science team you will become an expert in keeping these models running smoothly and creating incremental improvements
- Developing new products to enhance our ability to effectively risk manage our trading book
- Improving our data and data pipelines to ensure our models are seeing the most accurate picture of the world
- Providing expertise to other teams to support our common goals
Within your first 6 months you’ll:
- Have a good understanding of our core functions
- Be able to triage operational issues appropriately, resolving or escalating as required
- Be playing an active role in long term development projects
- Be able to represent Data Science in the wider team and beyond
You will already have:
- Masters level qualification (PhD preferred) in a quantitative subject or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience working as a data scientist / data engineer / similar role
- Strong modelling and programming skills using Python (Pandas, NumPy & SciPy libraries)
- Experience writing repeatable code using techniques like version control, testing and continuous deployment
- Experience with production engineering technologies such as docker, GCP, linux and kubernetes
Experience with Python, SQL, Git and Tableau is highly preferred. Experience with R, GCP, Airflow, Excel and PowerPoint (or Google equivalent) is desirable.You’ll be a successful Data Scientist here at OVO if you…
You won’t like this role if you…
- Prioritise - you will be simultaneously working on high-value long-term projects and supporting our core trading operations. The ability to transition seamlessly between the two is essential
- Find a way - being on the cutting edge means there is often no path to follow. You will be able to find a way of getting things done, asking for help when needed and plotting a route through complexity
- Support - we work together with a wider team to deliver our objectives so being willing to lend a helping hand goes a long way
Let’s talk about what’s in it for you
- Struggle to communicate - explaining why is often as important as being right
- Are uncomfortable with uncertainty - we deal with risk and uncertainty every day and have to make calculated judgements with incomplete information
- Are a perfectionist - the world is a complex place and often ‘perfect’ solutions do not exist
- Can not work as part of a team - to be successful in this role you will need to leverage the skills and experience of other team members
We’ll pay you between £50,000 and £70,000, depending on your specific skills and experience. If your expectations are a little different, have a chat with us!
We keep our pay ranges broad on purpose to give us, and you, flexibility to match your experience to our zero carbon mission.
You’ll be eligible for an on-target bonus of 15%. We have one OVO bonus plan that focuses on the collective performance of our people to deliver our Plan Zero goal.
We also offer plenty of green benefits and progressive policies to help you feel like you belong at OVO…and there’s flex pay. It’s an extra 9% of your salary on top of your core pay to use as you like. You can take it as cash, add to your pension, or choose to spend it on a huge range of flex benefits.
Here’s a taster of what’s on offer:
For starters, you’ll get 34 days of holiday (including bank holidays).For your health
With benefits like a healthcare cash plan or private medical insurance depending on your career level, critical illness cover, life assurance, health assessments, and moreFor your wellbeing
With gym membership, gadget, travel and cyber insurance, workplace ISA, will writing services, DNA testing, dental insurance, and moreFor your lifestyle
With extra holiday buying, discount dining, culture cards, tech loans, and supporting your favourite charities with give-as-you-earn donationsFor your home
Get up to £300 off any OVO Energy plan (when you pay by Direct Debit), plus personal carbon offsetting and great discounts on smart thermostats and EV chargersFor your commute
Nab a great deal on ultra-low emission car leasing,
plus our cycle to work scheme and public transport season ticket loans
Want to hear about our full range of flexible benefits and progressive people policies? Our People Team can tell you everything you need to know.For your Belonging
To find better ways to support our people, we need to listen to each other’s experiences and find ways to build a truly inclusive and diverse workplace. As part of this, we have 8 Belonging Networks at OVO. Led by our people, for our people - so when you join OVO, you can play a part - big or small - with any of the Networks. It's up to you.Oh, and one last thing...
We’d be thrilled if you tick off all our boxes yet we also believe it’s just as important we tick off all of yours. And if you think you have most of what we’re looking for but not every single thing, go ahead and hit apply
. We’d still love to hear from you!
If you have any additional requirements, there’s a space to let us know on the application form; we want to make the process as easy and comfortable for you as possible..