Are you a talented, hungry and ambitious graduate engineer looking to embark an exciting and rewarding career enabling the Energy Transition? Do you want to work for a company that you care about and can be proud of and which cares about you? Do you want to work within a supportive, encouraging and empowering environment where you can stretch yourself and shine? Do you want to work on some of the UK’s most innovative and transformative projects that are leading the way in decarbonising energy?
If so, please read on….
Cairn Risk is an independent, employee-owned risk management consulting business providing pragmatic and proportionate support to enable the transition to net carbon zero in a safe, effective and attentive way. We provide clear, impartial and practical advice to developers, owner-operators and technology providers, primarily around the generation, storage, transmission, transformation and consumption of clean, sustainable and secure energy. We help our clients demonstrate their risks to people, environment, business and reputation are being managed effectively throughout the full lifecycle of their assets.
We have an in-depth understanding of the technologies that underpin the Energy Transition and the risks they pose. Our integrated services combine to meet all the risk management challenges the energy transition faces to protect PLANT, PEOPLE and the PLANET.
We understand that effective risk management will be a key enabler of the Energy Transition and we relish the challenge and responsibility this brings.
Our highly experienced consulting team have been extremely successful in winning work supporting a wide range of Energy Transition projects, including offshore wind, onshore solar, hydrogen and energy storage.
We are now looking for junior engineers to join us and work under the direction and mentorship of this team to support the delivery of this work delighting our clients and building long term relationships.
This is a fantastic opportunity to learn from some highly experienced and competent engineers who are passionate about developing and nurturing the engineering leaders of the future. Working for a small, independent business you will be exposed to a wide variety of tasks and opportunities and you will be given responsibilities, helping you to accelerate your development.
Qualifications & Attributes
You will have a degree level qualification in a relevant engineering or scientific discipline e.g. Chemical, Mechanical or Electrical/Electronic Engineering.
Ideally you will have ~2-5 years industrial experience in some of the following areas:
- The Technical Safety/Safety Assurance workshops, studies, analysis etc. completed to help steer projects from concept design through to operation in a way that reduces risk As Low as Reasonably Practicable (ALARP), including; Hazard Identification Studies (HAZID, HAZOP, e-HAZOP, HIRA etc.); Development of qualitative Risks Registers; Qualitative and Quantitative Risk Assessments; Fire and Explosion Modelling; Process Safety Management; Functional Safety Assessments; Safe by Design Decision Making; ALARP Assessments; HSE/Safety Case Development.
- The science and engineering that will enable the world’s transition to net zero focused on the reduction and removal of harmful greenhouse gas emissions and the repair of damage already done, including experience in the following technologies; On and Offshore Wind; Wave/Tidal; Solar; Bio Energy; Hydrogen (productions, storage, distribution and consumption); Energy Storage (including Battery Energy Storage System (BESS)); Carbon Capture, Utilisation and Storage (CCUS).
However, ambitious, talented engineers should not be deterred by the above. We are happy to consider candidates with less experience than this, including recent engineering graduates. We recognise you are in the early stages of a career in safety and risk management and have great potential to learn and develop. If you bring passion and energy, we will train, coach and mentor you to support the projects and build an exciting and rewarding career as a risk management consultant.
The successful candidate will:
- Have the confidence and willingness to take on new tasks and challenges yet the self-awareness to understand their limitations, not hesitating to ask for support and learn from those around them to develop into an effective, rounded consultant.
- Have excellent communication skills – written and verbal.
- Adopt a highly flexible and collaborative approach to help us meet the challenges of building and growing a new and profitable business.
- Be able and willing to travel within the UK and overseas as required from time to time to deliver the above duties.
- Be passionate about the transition to net zero carbon.
A full UK drivers license is preferred.
Duties & Responsibilities
You will work under the direction of our experienced consulting team to support the delivery of a wide range of technical tasks on diverse and interesting engineering projects as highlighted above.
However, this opportunity is much broader than the support to individual projects. We want you to roll your sleeves up and support the team in building a highly successful employee-owned consulting business where you will share in our success.
We have recently opened our first office in Glasgow and expect to open further offices elsewhere in the UK, and possibly beyond, as we continue to grow. We are committed to finding the best talent to support our business regardless of our location and our systems support effective team working in this flexible, agile environment.
Our values present the “CASE” for people to join us and for clients to use us. We are looking for people to buy-into these and help us be accountable to one another on them:
Collaboration: We work together and alongside our clients to achieve common goals.
Authenticity: We are honest, dependable and straightforward, and accountable for our actions.
Solutions: We focus on results by delivering clear, impartial and practical advice.
Empowerment: We encourage everyone to flourish in the work they do in meeting our clients’ needs.
Remuneration & Benefits
The benefits provided by Cairn Risk are an important part of an employee’s total remuneration package. Our benefits are aimed at making our employees’ lives easier, removing unnecessary worries and promoting a healthy work-life balance. These benefits encompass health, financial, lifestyle and personal development.
- Competitive salary
- Shares/Share Options
- Profit Share
- Pension (7.5% employer contribution)
- Private healthcare (includes immediate family)
- Life assurance
- Income protection (sickness or disability)
- Flexible working arrangements
- Buy-and-sell holidays
- Electric car scheme
What can you expect from a career at Cairn Risk?
- Opportunity to help enable the transition to net carbon zero in a safe, effective and attentive way.
- Opportunities to work on interesting and influential projects across different sectors and for highly prestigious clients.
- A supportive, encouraging and empowering environment where you can stretch yourself and shine.
- A working environment where we look out for each other.
- Opportunity to work as part of a highly collaborative, talented, flexible and client focused team for greater good.
- None of the bureaucratic and hierarchical hurdles that stifle progress and innovation within more corporate organisations.
- Training, mentoring and support to help you meet your full potential in supporting the objectives and goals of the business.
- An annual 360 degree Performance Development Review (PDR) to help identify, enable and drive improvement for everyone at all levels of the organisation, both individually and as a business.
- As an employee-owned business, everyone has a stake and voice in the company allowing you to shape our future and share in our collective success.
How to Apply
If you would like to apply for a position with Cairn Risk please e-mail your CV along with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.