Ready to apply Before you do, make sure to read all the details pertaining to this job in the description below.
We're seeking an experienced engineer that will be responsible for designing or reviewing electrical plans for ground mounted multi-megawatt PV plants. Responsibilities include: equipment selection; energy production analysis; engineering support during construction, evaluation of future technologies; and developing internal intellectual property products and offerings.
- Develop detailed layouts and electrical design packages (including also single-line diagrams, panel schedules, connection diagrams, conduit and wire scheduling, routing and equipment plans) for PV systems and BESS that meet all contractual, grid, and permitting requirements
- Provide engineering solutions during the development, proposal, pre-construction, and construction phases
- Perform accurate system sizing calculations
- Build detailed bills of materials based on system specifications
- Support the Project Manager as necessary with technical specifications and scopes of work for engineering firms and contractors including major equipment selection and BOM
- Review and approve the detailed electrical design prepared by contractors or engineering firms
- Perform site visits for project assessment and feasibility
- Provide support as necessary on the interconnection application
- Provide support as necessary on the permitting application processes
- Coordinate with civil, structural, and electrical engineering firms to obtain detailed design packages
- Coordinate and obtain SCADA designs from third-party monitoring companies
- Provide engineering support during construction and commissioning as necessary
- Coordinate the electrical integration and interconnection of energy storage systems
- Assess existing system configuration and operation
- Establish basis of PV design including module selection, string sizing, etc.
- Mentor and train team members on project design, interconnection, and energy modelling
Skills & Competencies
To be successful in this role, you will demonstrate:
- Time management & prioritization skills - things can get a little hectic, so the ability to effectively manage yourself and your workload is critical
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (in English or/and other European languages) - you must be able to organize your thoughts in a way that others find clear and compelling. You will be expected to together well-written, grammatically correct emails and other communications. When communicating verbally – whether over the phone, on video calls, in person or in meetings – you will need to be articulate, warm and engaging
- Flexibility - being an effective team player means being flexible in your approach and open to getting involved with new things, even if they are not spelt out in your job description
- Intellectual Curiosity – Technical Management is a broad and nuanced field and we are looking for someone who is truly interested in our profession and has the intellectual curiosity to delve deep into topics and bring fresh ideas to the team
- IT Literacy - you need to be comfortable with IT systems and working with data (you should have at least intermediate-level excel)
- Delivery focus – it may sound obvious, but the ability to proactively churn through work at pace and deliver quality outputs really matters
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Passion for our mission ‘to generate a more sustainable future by leading the transition to clean energy
- Our values: be a leader, build trust, be responsible, be innovative and ‘bring your alpha’.
Experience & Qualifications
- 5 or more years’ experience in the DC and AC electrical design of PV plants
- Degree in engineering (preferably electrical or energy or mechanical engineering)
- Advanced knowledge of the key components of PV plants (supporting structures, PV modules, inverters)
- DC and AC cables interconnection infrastructure (switchgears, transformers, relays)
- Proficiency in commercial software to design PV ground mounted plants (e.g., AutoCAD, PVcase, PVSyst)
- Knowledge of the PV sector international standards for the design and connection of plants
- Proficiency in performing Energy Yield Assessments and knowledge of the PV industry modelling and simulating assumptions
- Understanding of the site surveys that inform the PV design (e.g., topographic survey, geotechnical survey, hydrological survey)
- Experience in working across multiple jurisdictions
- Knowledge of main players in the industry (investors, EPC contractors, Technical Advisors, third party labs etc.)
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of Italian is advantageous.
What We Offer
- A busy role in a supportive team, with plenty of opportunities to learn
- International scope – we operate in over 8 countries
- Hybrid working – we will need you in the office at least twice a week, but you will normally be able to work remotely for the remainder of the week
- Annual discretionary bonus.
How To Apply
If you are interested in this opportunity, please follow the link to apply or send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have been shortlisted for the next stage, we will be in contact within 14 days. The closing date for applications is 4th August 2023.
By selecting “Apply” or sending us your CV, you indicate you have read and acknowledged NextEnergy Group’s Candidate Privacy Notice.