Term: Permanent, full time
Location: London, Edinburgh or Cardiff
Start Date: Flexible but preferred immediately
Salary: £50 – 65k, based on experience
Benefits: 28 days annual leave + public holidays, pension contributions, healthcare
Protium Green Solutions (Protium) is a UK Green Hydrogen Energy Company, which helps clients reach net zero emissions across their heat, power, and mobility requirements. We are a small but fast-growing company, with a network of partners that includes the world’s leading voices in the emerging green hydrogen market. We are a mission-oriented company. We are deeply passionate about addressing climate change and believe green hydrogen will be key to the UK (and the world)’s transition towards a truly sustainable future.
As the first pure-play hydrogen energy company in the UK, we offer a unique opportunity to learn about the possibilities and challenges of deploying green hydrogen solutions. Protium develops, constructs and owns the infrastructure that its customers use. You will work on some of the most challenging and innovative decarbonisation projects that have been proposed in the UK (and perhaps the world), whilst contributing towards the UKʼs Net Zero emission goals.
We pride ourselves on a flat, transparent organisational structure, where all opinions and ideas are valued. We offer mentorship and guidance but also instil autonomy, whereby staff are encouraged to lead project workstreams and own relationships with clients and suppliers. All staff are provided regular contact time with senior management and the advisory board, alongside frequent lunch and learns led by industry experts.
We are looking for an ambitious Business Development Manager to manage our growing relationships with forward-thinking clients across the UK and globally as well as forging new partnerships. The role will be a good fit for a multifaceted individual who already has experience in renewable energy project origination/project development and who can distil the technical, commercial and financial implications of decarbonising a target customer’s process using hydrogen and renewables, and then communicate that value proposition internally to the Protium decision-makers and to the Customer’s decision-making team.. The role will report to the Head of Business Development, feeding into the Chief Commercial Officer and will also work closely with the project management team/ the investment team.
The key responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
- Researching and identifying new business opportunities, including new markets, growth areas, trends, potential clients, partnerships, or new ways of reaching existing markets,
- Seeking out appropriate contacts in organisations of interest and building the outbound business.
- Fostering and developing relationships with new and existing clients over conference calls and in-person meetings,
- Managing and converting leads,
- Identifying and compiling grant applications, and responding to formal tenders,
- Developing and presenting scopes of work for client engagement, to senior managers in public and private organisations,
- Keeping abreast of trends, news reports, key policy initiatives or competitor developments as they relate to green hydrogen production, hydrogen-focused technologies, industrial decarbonisation, and climate change mitigation broadly,
- Representing Protium at industry-relevant events, webinars, conferences, and conveying important information and market intelligence with the rest of the team, and
- Liaising with other members of the team where necessary
Key Requirements and Skills
The successful candidate will have highly effective communication skills; verbal, written and presentation. They must be able to understand complex subject material but present it in a simple, understandable context for all audiences. We are looking for smart, ambitious, and proactive people who can think strategically, want to change the bigger picture, set big goals and objectives, and come up with a tactile action plan for achieving them. The ideal candidate will further be comfortable in a fast-paced and challenging environment, someone who is not afraid to ask questions and actively put their ideas forward. Specifically, we’re looking for:
- Experience in a similar role,
- Knowledge of the renewable energy industry (wind and solar, hydrogen, fuel cells, zero emission vehicles, battery storage) and/or deep decarbonisation,
- Master problem creator and solver with a customer-centric world view,
- Visual communicator, and exceptional writer (must be very comfortable with Microsoft PowerPoint and Word as a minimum),
- Strong quantification skills, including cost & benefit analysis, scenario analysis, projections, regressions, visualising data in charts and graphs (must be comfortable with Microsoft Excel),
- Good relationship management and interpersonal skills for establishing trust and building relationships with clients,
- Self-driven and taking initiative – having the confidence to start things from scratch and setting your own goals,
- Strong ability to multi-task and prioritise a rapidly changing workload.
- Strong desire to lead by doing.