We are breaking the boundaries and pushing our commitment to the EVTOL world by changing the way the world travels. Our mission is powered by pioneers and progress is our prerogative.
Here at Vertical, we are developing the UK’s first fully electric, vertical take-off and landing aircraft (eVTOL), the VX4. With zero-operating emissions. Vertical is transforming the way people travel by offering a faster, safer, and greener way to move.
More about the team you will be joining as a Test Rig Development Engineer
Vertical Aerospace is growing its existing Test team in preparation for an exciting novel aircraft development programme. Part of this expansion is to bring in an experienced, passionate, and driven Test Rig Development Engineer. The role will be crucial in Vertical’s programme delivery, developing various rigs to provide crucial data to support the aircraft design, technology development and certification workstreams. The work will involve gathering rig requirements, down selecting solutions, driving the build and commissioning of the rig, to ultimately running the asset to meet the objectives to the required standard and on-time/budget.
My Impact as a Test Rig Development Engineer
The Test Rig Development Engineer reports to the Test Operations and Facilities Team Lead, and will be allocated into workstreams in our matrix organisation.
The successful candidate will be able to work in dynamic innovative teams, building positive working environments and diplomatically resolving challenges to programme delivery. Some elements of “hands on” work will be expected, with the assistance of our skilled technicians.
What success will look like for the Test Rig Development Engineer
- Being an integral part of a collaborative planning, delivery and reporting for company rig test activities. Likely rigs include, structural, propulsion, sub-assembly, “iron bird”, and whole-aircraft setups
- Development of test rig software, human machine interfaces and data management systems
- Determination of safety provisions required for rig operations, whilst being a role model of the company’s safety-first culture
- Leading test operations in a dynamic, responsive environment at Vertical’s Ground Test Facility, in support of our ambitious Flight Test Program, and at other locations as required.
- As required assist with other, non-rig, test planning and activities, this could also involve flight test support
Everything sounds very interesting but how do I know this is the role for me?
We are looking for people that will have the following qualifications and experiences:
Experience Of The Following Is Desired
- Previous experience on rapid development programmes, maturing new technologies
- A great understanding of aerospace testing methods, instrumentation/calibration requirements, health and safety considerations, data acquisition and certification based activities
- Possess an understanding of common digital communication protocols (CANbus, ARINC 429 etc) and analogue-to-digital conversion for various sensor/IO types.
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with numerous internal and external stakeholders, with a passion for deliver
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with colleagues across a wide range of technical disciplines
- Be fluent in spoken and written English language
- Experienced with standard laboratory and workshop tools
- Competent with National Instruments Hardware and Software (Labview/VeriStand/Diadem)
- Competent with Microsoft Applications and IT proficient
- Technical report writing, including test plans
- Qualification and experiment requirements (must have):
- Engineering or Science degree (BEng or higher)
- At least 7 years experience in a high tech test engineering environment
- Previous experience with electric aircraft and/or VTOLs
- Developing test assets to support aircraft/vehicle certification
- Electro-mechanical systems integration experience
- Hands on electrical working experience, with both LV & HV systems
- Software and configuration management using GITHUB or similar tools
- CAD familiarity (CATIA/3DX preferably) for interrogating digital models
Why work with us?
For us, it is important that people feel valued for the impact they have and are able to thrive and experience the career journey of a lifetime. Our overall approach to reward seeks to offer competitive packages that attract the diverse and talented people we need to achieve our ambitious objectives.
Our Ways of Working
In the UK we have two offices and a Battery facility in Bristol, an office in London and a site in Kemble with well stocked free kitchen provisions including hot drinks, fruit and breakfasts every weekday. Our typical full time working week is 37.5 hours. We recognise the world of work is rapidly evolving and that flexibility is important for us all to thrive. We want to support all employees to deliver their roles to the best possible standard by offering the right level of flexibility between our key sites and home where suitable for your role and its deliverables and our company goals. Typically, this is agreed with your team and people leader, ensuring there are times for collaboration and other activity on site and the ability to work more remotely from home as appropriate.Our Vertical Additional Benefits
- ‘Primary Benefits’ are available as standard, 5% Pension Match, 2 x Salary Life Insurance, Income Protection, 26 days + bank holiday and the opportunity for extra 5 days when getting married or forming a civil partnership
- ‘Flex Fund Benefits’ are benefits that don’t come as standard, but you can ‘pay’ for using a company provided ‘Flex Fund’ (equal to 4% of salary) Private Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, EV Car Subscription, Home EV Charger, Holiday Buy, Pension Top Up, and many more
- ‘Payroll benefits’ Workplace ISA, Commuter Loan, Interest Free Technology Loans
- ‘Extra benefits’ are the many benefits we offer that can be accessed through our rewards platform, incl. Discounted Shopping Scheme, Eye Care Benefits, Free Mortgage Advice, Financial and Comprehensive Wellness Benefits
- Eligibility to participate in our employee long-term-incentive plan
Do you like the look of this opportunity but not sure if you meet all the criteria we’ve outlined?
Here at Vertical, we are working to create an environment of growth, diversity and opportunities for people to take on challenges and push the status quo. We understand some people may not apply to jobs unless they tick every box. If you're excited about joining us and think you have much of what we're looking for, even if you're not 100% sure... we'd love to hear from you.
This is an on-going advert and interviews will be held on an ad-hoc basis until sufficient applications have been received.