Everyone belongs at OVO
At OVO, we are on a mission to solve one of humanity's biggest challenges, the climate crisis. And we know it takes all of us to change the world. That's why we need diverse people from all gender identities, ethnicities, ages, sexual orientations, life experiences and backgrounds to join us.
Teamworking for the planet
Everything we do here spins around Plan Zero. So, naturally, the team you’ll be joining plays a gigantic role in making that happen. Here’s how:
We’re hiring world-changers. Every role we’re hiring plays their own part in our mission; our role is to find those people and bring them on our Zero Carbon journey. Across OVO we have around 350 Engineers all with varying backgrounds and levels of experience. One key thing that all of our engineers have in common is a desire to develop brilliant, industry redefining products as well as their own skills.
This role in a nutshell:
You’ll be part of OVO’s Data Engineering Team, which will act as a Centre of Excellence for data engineering across OVO, providing strategy, advice and guidance, reusable approaches, patterns and assets, and tool recommendations. This team creates and facilitates a Data Engineering community to support data engineers working in product and business teams as they build data pipelines and transform data for new products and for analytics and reporting.
Your key outcomes will be:
- Part of a team responsible for setting a strategy for data engineering across OVO and developing guidelines for how we work across our streaming and data warehouse technologies.
- Building a data engineering community with engineers working in product teams, providing advice and guidance, tool recommendations etc.
- Building and maintaining integration pipelines that power our automated journeys.
- Transforming streaming data to meet target schemas.
- Being part of an agile engineering team where you will have the opportunity to influence technology selection.
- Establishing good data engineering practices including using infrastructure as code; contributing to automated testing strategies; setting up monitoring and alerting tools; employing CI/CD best practices to deploy regularly to production.
- Participating/leading efforts in the Open Source community, speaking at conferences, contributing to OVO’s tech blog, etc.
- Engaging and encouraging engagement in the wider community through conference participation and contributing to our Tech Blog.
- Working with key stakeholders to understand their data needs and help deliver solutions that provide them with excellent quality data that allows teams to realise their objectives.
You’ll be a successful Data Engineer at OVO if you have…
- Experience of designing, building, monitoring and managing large-scale data products, pipelines, tooling and platforms.
- A track record as a Data Engineer, setting strategy and defining ways of working.
- Experience working on streaming ETL solutions utilising streaming data processing tools (e.g. Kafka Streams, Kinesis, Spark or similar).Experience developing cloud-based solutions on GCP (preferably), AWS or Azure using Infrastructure as code tools such as Terraform.
- Excellent knowledge of at least one programming language e.g. Scala, Python, Typescript
- Knowledge of the best engineering practices and continuous delivery.
- An understanding that building quality software is essential and you value automation and continuous delivery.
- A love for building scalable, resilient solutions, and you enjoy influencing the team’s technology selection and architectural direction.
- You will be comfortable working in an agile software development environment and have experience of CI/CD and deployment strategies
- A background in Software Engineering
Brilliant benefits for a world-changing team
Our people are at the heart of Plan Zero. That’s why we offer plenty of green benefits and progressive policies to make you feel at home.
For starters, you’ll get 34 days of holiday (including bank holidays).Then there’s Flex Pay. It’s an extra 9% of your salary on top of your core pay to use as you like. You can take it as cash, add to your pension, or choose to spend it on a huge range of flex benefits.
Here’s a taster of what’s on offer:
- For your health - With benefits like a healthcare cash plan or private medical insurance depending on your career level, critical illness cover, life assurance, health assessments, and more
- For your wellbeing - With gym membership, gadget, travel and cyber insurance, workplace ISA, will writing services, DNA testing, dental insurance, and more
- For your lifestyle - With extra holiday buying, discount dining, culture cards, tech loans, and supporting your favourite charities with give-as-you-earn donations
- For your home - Get up to £300 off any OVO Energy plan (when you pay by Direct Debit), plus personal carbon offsetting and great discounts on smart thermostats and EV chargers
- For your commute - Nab a great deal on ultra-low emission car leasing, plus our cycle to work scheme and public transport season ticket loans
Want to hear about our full range of flexible benefits and progressive people policies? Our People Team can tell you everything you need to know.
Oh, and one last thing...
We’d be thrilled if you tick off all our boxes yet we also believe it’s just as important we tick off all of yours. And if you think you have most of what we’re looking for but not every single thing, go ahead and apply. We’d still love to hear from you!
- Phone call (20-minute chat with one of our tech recruiters)
- First stage (1-hour video call with hiring manager)
- Final stage (2-hours of Pair Programming and System Design)