MUST HAVE 5 YEARS UK RESIDENCY AS A MINIMUM TO APPLY
We are looking for talented Scientists and Engineers with experience in research and collaboration to join us at Leonardo in Luton, Bristol and Lincoln.
Do you love the technical detail?
Does learning new subjects interest you?
Would you thrive in a collaborative environment?
Are you an innovator?
Do you want to make the leap from Science into Engineering?
We are not expecting you to have domain knowledge of electronic warfare systems and theory, or significant experience in engineering. What we are looking for are scientists and engineers with a solid technical foundation which we can build upon through training, team working, and one to one mentoring.
Leonardo is a global leader in defence electronics and delivers mission critical systems for situational awareness, electronic warfare and surveillance across land, sea and air.
The Electronic Warfare and Major Air Programmes lines of business are uniquely positioned as one of the world's top developers of electronic surveillance and countermeasure systems as well as being a core member of Team Tempest.
Our Systems Engineers span a different types of work
- Applied research Early research looking into exploiting new technologies or concepts.
- High level design Higher level understanding of the impact of design decisions can have on performance.
- Low-level design Detailed design/redesign, prototyping and optimisation of a particular processing solution using their expertise within their technical domain.
As a Systems Engineer you will bridge the gap between the theoretically possible and what is practically implementable in a real system. We need talented scientists and engineers to take early concepts from a variety of sources and turn them into working solutions for a radar.
You do not need a background in engineering to make a difference. Our System Engineers predominantly come from science backgrounds. Many of these people at Leonardo have PhDs/EngDs from a diverse range of research domains such as condensed matter physics, theoretical physics, quantum physics, nonlinear optics, applied mathematics and statistics, nuclear physics, astrophysics, signal processing, radar systems, mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, information fusion, and robotics and autonomy.
We will support you in your technical and professional development whatever your background, and provide challenging technical work to allow you to excel. Our working environment is fast-paced but relaxed. We value the expertise of our engineers and work to ensure they have the autonomy and confidence to make decisions themselves or as a team. We put trust in all our engineers to ensure they remain in control of their work and future career prospects.
We are recruiting for a number of roles from a variety of backgrounds and skillsets. Based upon your skills and foundation knowledge, we will assess where your knowledge and skills would best fit and discuss options with you.
Typical work you might be involved in
- Contribute or even lead an early concept study investigating whether a new type of algorithms could improve the detection of threats at range
- Collaborate with hardware experts, design and prototype detailed models of
- Support the development and implementation of data fusion across multiple sensor types
- Apply your knowledge of physics to develop simulators used in supporting test and validation of processing solutions
What we can offer you
- Flexible working We offer our employees the time and flexibility they need to enjoy abalanced life
- Continuous Learning You’ll be supported in ongoing personal development includingaccess to thousands of online courses free of charge via Coursera
- Annual leave We offer 25 days holiday plus 8 bank holidays
- Award-winning pension scheme Our multi-award-winning pension scheme includesgenerous employer contribution
- Flexible benefits Our company-funded approach to flexible benefits allows employees to make choices appropriate for them. Each employee has access to a wide choice of lifestyle, health and wellbeing options best suited to their individual lifestyle goals.
- Employee discount schemes In addition to the above flexible benefits, our employeesbenefit from access to everyday discounts with many high street and online retailers, restaurants and days out.
- Family friendly policies
- Positive support for the Reserve Forces, including additional time off for Reservists
What you will get
- Advanced Technology You will have the ability to contribute to the development of market-leading product development, providing advanced capability and protection to UK platforms.
- Agile Systems Engineering Apply and develop your machine learning skills as part of systems engineering in a fast-paced and dynamic agile development team.
- EW Expertise Leonardo has subject-matter experts with extensive and detailed knowledge of the EW domain, technology, performance, and operational capabilities
- Continuous Learning Whether it’s EW, engineering lifecycle processes, leadership, or personal development, you’ll be supported in your ongoing professional development though training and mentoring.
- Teamwork You will work alongside like-minded professional engineers in a highly collaborative environment.
- Connections You will be joining an expansive team of around 7,000 people at six major sites across the UK.
- EW Heritage We are proud of our rich heritage in EW, with 100 years of pioneering EW development. Today we’re providing the latest advances in sensor technology and enabling our customers to keep pace with an ever-evolving EW environment.
What we are looking for
You will have a Phd, EngD or other relevant research experience within a Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths subject.
We would be interested in hearing from you if you also have
- Experience of collaborating with others either within your research group or wider afield
- A drive to continuously improve your own skills and knowledge
- A methodical approach to solving large complex problems
- Experience in planning, leading and overseeing technical research or development tasks
- An appreciation of Systems Engineering process
Coding is central to our day to day work. You should have some experience of using a programming language to solve problems or develop models. Experience using Matlab and Simulink would be an advantage.
Due to the nature of our work, you must be capable of achieving full SC security clearance and will require access to caveated information such as UK eyes only.
Please see the UK National Security Vetting site for more details. Some roles may require office based working.
GB - Luton - Cap. Green 300
GB - Bristol - Coldharbour Lane, GB - Lincoln