The acquisition, development, construction, and operation of Cubico’s renewable energy assets, together with the associated business processes, create a diverse mix of data with significant potential for procedural efficiency gains and value add through data analytics and automation.
You will be part of a small team that is responsible for delivering Cubico’s Data Strategy, which is to build data capabilities of teams across Cubico and to apply these capabilities to better achieve their business objectives. Your role will require you to support the identification and realisation of opportunities to use data, analytics, and automation wherever they align with Cubico’s business strategies.
As a Data Engineer, a key aspect of your role will be to translate intricate technical terminology into terms easily grasped by those without expertise in the field. Your skill in demystifying complex topics will enhance collaboration among various teams and departments, ensuring that data-driven insights and solutions are effectively communicated to a diverse audience.
Cubico is currently in the early stages of a journey towards data maturity. By joining the team at this early stage, you have a unique opportunity to help shape and establish the role of data and related processes throughout Cubico. This role also offers a unique opportunity for substantial interaction with various teams, providing the successful candidate with lots of exposure to the inner workings of different departments, likely fostering lots of opportunities for further growth and development at the company.
The role is based in London, UK, and will report to the Data Manager in a two-person central team which is expected to grow in the future.
Day to day, you will work closely with the Data Manager, while also consulting, collaborating, and enabling various teams across Cubico to streamline business processes and arrive at better business decisions using data and analytics. You will drive projects but also contribute to a change in culture around data within the company.
Other responsibilities include:
- Data Opportunities: Actively recognize and act on data opportunities that can benefit Cubico.
- Data Flow Management: Design, monitor, and automate Cubico's data processes ensuring consistency and accuracy.
- Strategy Implementation: Regularly refine and apply data management strategies and procedures to keep up with the evolving business needs.
- Technical Troubleshooting: Address and rectify any issues within the data flows, bringing innovative solutions to the table when necessary.
- Project Management: Take the lead on small projects, guiding others through the data problem-solving process from beginning to end.
- Stakeholder Interaction: Engage directly with both internal and external stakeholders, guaranteeing that our data systems are populated reliably.
- Reporting: Aid in the creation of data reports and visualizations to translate technical terms into simple language, providing clarity to stakeholders.
- System Integration: Oversee and implement integrations with applications, including but not limited to APIs.
Skills, Knowledge and Expertise
- Strong communicator with an ability to build strong relationship with people across reporting boundaries and departments and to translate complex problems clearly and in nontechnical terms.
- A genuine passion for renewables and a strong interest in contributing to the global energy transition.
- An enthusiasm for sustainable technologies and a strong understanding of the evolving energy landscape.
- Collaborative and adept at working in cross-functional teams to identify and prioritise data-related needs.
- Driven and able to take initiative while contributing to the ongoing development of our data strategy and envision how data can help Cubico teams achieve their outcomes.
- An understanding of how tools such as Python/Power BI or Azure (or AWS) can help teams build capabilities and achieve business outcomes.
- Experience in data management and analysis and maintaining data management systems.
- Experience with tools such as: Excel, Power BI and Power Automate.
- Data visualisation skills (tools such as Tableau and Power BI).
- Experience in programming languages and tools such as Python, SQL and Git.
- Experience in building Data Pipelines, preferably through Azure or AWS.
- Experience in the management of operational data, preferably from renewable energy assets, e.g., Primary/secondary SCADA data, systems, and analysis an advantage.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer, Data Science, Data Engineering, or related field.
- Keen interest in demonstrating the value of data and use cases to the wider business
- An interest in learning DevOps practices such as Infrastructure as Code (IaC), CI/CD is also advantageous.
The ideal profile of an individual in this role is open and outward-looking, self-motivated, with well-rounded interpersonal skills and adept at working in different cultures.
You know how to use data and analytics effectively, are collaborative, inclusive, and passionate about making great products and services that make people’s lives easier.
The ideal candidate for this role should also demonstrate a genuine passion for renewables and a strong interest in contributing to the global energy transition. An enthusiasm for sustainable technologies and an understanding of the evolving energy landscape is essential.
Finally, a role in the data team often involves identifying problems and finding solutions using data, so being proactive and innovative is important. Moreover, you need to be excited and motivated to learn new skills and solve complex issues whilst working on different projects.
This is a great opportunity to work with an ambitious and fast-growing global company supporting the clean energy transition across several countries in a multicultural and fun team.
This role offers competitive salary subject to skills and experience, along with our comprehensive benefits package as follows:
- Additional bonus incentive
- Hybrid working arrangements
- 25 days annual leave
- Private health insurance
- Time off for life’s special events
- Regular social events
- And more
About Cubico Sustainable Investments
Cubico Sustainable Investments (Cubico), a London-headquartered firm, is one of the world’s leaders in providing renewable energy across the Americas and Europe. Cubico was established in 2015 to manage and invest in renewable energy assets globally. Owned equally by Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan and PSP Investments, the firm has significant capital to invest and is committed to a long-term growth strategy designed to make it one of the largest and best in class renewable energy investors in the world.
Cubico holds a portfolio of more than 7 GW, with assets across the wind, solar PV, solar thermal and transmission line technologies. Covering the whole energy chain from development and construction to operation, the company’s portfolio is located across 11 countries: Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, Uruguay, the United States (USA), Greece, Italy, Portugal, Spain, the United Kingdom (UK) and Australia.
Cubico is driven by five core values: diversity, respect, integrity, value creation and excellence, which make up our sixth value, DRIVE. These values encourage employees to take pride and satisfaction in their work, strive to achieve their goals and go the extra mile to attain outstanding results. Cubico’s employees are central to its success and, as a result, the company looks for people who believe in its purpose, will take full account of its impact and are motivated to make a positive contribution to the world.
At Cubico, we firmly believe that the best outcomes arise when we bring together individuals with diverse backgrounds, skills and experiences. For this reason, we have embraced Diversity as our first and foremost corporate value, enabling us to foster open dialogue and tackle complex challenges from multiple angles. Our recruitment processes reflect this dedication to diversity, as we consistently strive to provide equal opportunities to all applicants and create an inclusive work environment for all.