At ZeroAvia, we’re clean sky thinkers. For the world to achieve truly clean, guilt-free flight, we need a scalable solution; hydrogen-electric powertrains. As a leader in zero-emission aviation and a UK Jet Zero Council member, we’re designing and commercialising hydrogen-powered solutions that will positively impact the future of aviation, global connectivity, and the world.
Engineering designs our next-generation hydrogen electric engines. Working across Hydrogen, Propulsion and Integration divisions, they solve technical problems and help decarbonize aviation by finding solutions for electric propulsion, hydrogen storage, fuel cell technology, power distribution, thermal management and more.
Catalyst Group of ZeroAvia is working on the development of the new higher performing and durable electrocatalyst for application in High Temperature PEM fuel cells. The result of the work may make a significant contribution into the specific power and lifetime of the future hydrogen energy system to be used for the bigger and long-range aircrafts. Being a part of this group, you will be responsible for technical activities on the development of new electrocatalysts and conducting of the R&D projects.
This is a great opportunity for individual to build up the expertise in nano-scale materials synthesis and characterisation, electrochemical investigation of the electrocatalysts with projection and confirmation of their in-situ performance as part of electrodes and fuel cells.
- Leads and completes self-initiated and assigned technical and experimental activities directed to development and scale up of new materials and processing conditions, modification of the existing materials and technologies, manufacturing, and quality support for the components of the hydrogen fuel stacks (bi-polar plates, membrane electrode assemblies, etc)
- Analyses and interprets results of technical and experimental work. Recommends and develops solutions for technical and product problems
- Build and utilizes knowledge of technical, product, and market information and understanding of project scope, expectations, and requirements to contribute to the development of project strategy
- Develop new laboratory capabilities (equipment, methods), run R&R (reproducibility and repeatability) analysis and lead improvement activities
- May assist in the development of other technical employees, contract workers, tech aides, etc
- Documents experimental data/observations in technical notebooks or electronic files
- Develops an understanding of the IP landscape and takes part in generation of the new IP positions for the Company in the assigned technology
- Communicates results of assigned and self-initiated technical tasks to appropriate technical community. Communicates relevant findings to external parties as appropriate. Prepares reports, presentations, and other written documents
PhD or MSc in Chemistry, Material Sciences, Chemical Technology, Nanotechnology.
>2 years of practical experience in development of materials and their properties characterisation, preferably by electrochemical methods
Understanding of technology trends and demonstration of knowledge, skills, abilities in areas related to electrocatalysts for hydrogen fuel cells:
Development of methods to synthesize electrocatalysts (for example, Pt/C and PtM/C materials) for oxygen reduction and hydrogen oxidation.
Characterization of the composition and microstructure of nanostructured electrocatalysts (XRD, TEM, TGA & DSC, XRF analysis, XPS, etc.);
Evaluation of the electrochemical performance of the electrocatalysts with the help of potentiostat, rotating disk electrode, impedance meters, and other tools.
Possesses and applies advanced analytical problem-solving skills.
Possesses good technical and non-technical communication skills.
Possesses interpersonal and team skills necessary to perform effectively in variety of cross-functional team situations.
- Experience of work as part of a well-known team of researchers
- Publications in areas close to the topic of this project; patents
Our solution-focused culture champions fast decision-making and empowers our people. We value results and efficiency and prioritise achieving our mission in the most effective and innovative way possible. We collaborate as a unified team to create solutions and solve problems, so we want people who share our principles to join us. If you’re eager to take radical ownership and are unafraid to ask questions or challenge the status quo, then we want you to be part of our Clean Sky Thinking.
Diversity and Inclusion
As a young company shaping the aviation industry, we know that diversity fuels success and unlocks potential. We embrace being an equal-opportunity employer and actively seek individuals from diverse backgrounds. We value the multitude of skills, perspectives, and mindsets everyone can bring to the table. These experiences ignite creativity, originality, and growth. We proudly reject discrimination in all forms, including that based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.