If you would prefer this information or application form in a different format, please e-mail Julie Hirst at Julie.Hirst@aabpeople.com with the subject line 'Beyond Green Trainee Sustainability Advisor Application Request'.
Beyond Green is a multiple award winning and highly respected sustainability consultancy. That means we help people who run businesses to reduce their impact on our planet. We advise them on changes they can make. And these changes help them win work and awards from saving money and the planet.
For us, creating a sustainable world extends beyond the office: we actively volunteer for different projects that support our personal interests.
Working at Beyond Green
Beyond Green operates in a purely home-working environment supported by a variety of cloud-based systems and collaborative tools. Our team is made up of highly motivated people who can work effectively by themselves and as part of a team who regularly communicate in an open and supportive manner. Therefore, the Trainee Sustainability Advisor needs to be able to work in this online and collaborative environment, and be confident to learn on the job.
As a Disability Confident employer, we have an inclusive recruitment process and will hire anyone from any background. Where there are barriers to applying we are committed to discussing options with you to make the process more accessible, including making this document available in everyday language and less business speak.
4 Day Working week Pilot
As a forward-thinking company, we are currently piloting a 4-day working week (28 hours) as standard until 31 January 2024, at which point we will decide if to continue or revert to a standard 35-hour week. We have a robust set of objectives and measurable metrics to fairly assess the success of the pilot’s outcomes. Further details on the impacts of remuneration and benefits under a 35-hour week are detailed further below.
Why this role is important
Our mission is to ‘make positive change easier by inspiring everyone to create a sustainable world’ - to do this, we help our clients improve the way they run their business to reduce the impact on the planet. In the last year we have witnessed a growing demand for our highly regarded services for Net Zero Strategy due to COP26, became a leading contractor for Business Energy Scotland, and received excellent feedback from high profile clients.
To meet this growth and to continually achieve our mission, we need someone who brings a passion for creating a more sustainable future, a drive to learn and grow, and the ability to apply their transferable skills to new challenges.
The ideal candidate will have some relevant transferable skills, such as customer services, comfortable with data; be confident to work collaboratively with the wider team and have a basic understanding of the principles underlying Net Zero and carbon calculations. Developing their consultancy and technical competences, they will look to quickly grow into a Sustainability Advisor role. In this role, they will calculate the carbon impact for most main emission categories, contribute to client discussions to identify carbon reduction options, model Net Zero pathways to 2050, including data analysis for scenario planning, and conduct initial energy efficiency and renewable energy assessments.
- Support the delivery work programmes for small projects or sections of larger projects.
- Managing a workload of multiple tasks at the same time to a high standard
- Share knowledge across the team and promptly discuss barriers to progress with team
- Contribute to the development of our Net Zero resource library and methodologies
- Support the development of proposals for new projects.
What success looks like in the first 3 months
- A firm grasp of the Beyond Green values, processes and project management systems
- A valued member of the project delivery team by demonstrating your contribution
- Contributed to the preparation and facilitation of Net Zero workshops
- Successfully prepared carbon calculations for common areas of Net Zero projects
- Contributed to the delivery of smaller energy efficiency or renewables projects
What will you learn?
- How to work collaboratively, in a dynamic online environment, with a range of stakeholders
- Opportunities to research and advise on new technological developments and techniques
- Importance of accessible and inclusive work practices to ensure everyone can contribute their expertise
- How strategic decision making is directed by robust analysis and holistic thinking
What are we looking for?
We don’t expect perfection. So if you feel comfortable with over half of what we are looking for below then we encourage you to apply, as this is also an opportunity to develop your leadership skills, collaborative working, and technical knowledge and we provide time and space for you to do so. We are dedicated to considering candidates from diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds so please outline in your covering letter what motivates you for this role and what you hope to bring to Beyond Green. We are a Disability Confident employer and happy to provide any reasonable adjustments for the interview process and beyond.
- Ambition to continually improve how things are done with a problem solving attitude
- Initiative and proactive approach
- Comfortable in working remotely with the use of online systems and collaborative tools.
- Desire to work for a values-led company
- Organised and good time management
- Good communication skills, especially when you hit barriers and need feedback
- Competent with managing, analysing various numerical data and working with data limitations
- Collaborative mindset that brings your strengths and unique skills to find solutions together
- Comfortable with working with various data sets for data analysis
- Experience in helping others to work together to share ideas and achieve outcomes
- Awareness of the general principles underlying carbon calculations and Net Zero targets
- Familiarity with carbon accounting software
- Natural curiosity to research new technologies and techniques for solving problems
- Experience in delivering projects as part of a team or independently
What Beyond Green offers you
Beyond Green is a values-based company. Our values guide how we create a supportive team culture that strives for us all to be the best we can be; creating value from our unique abilities. We regularly meet to openly discuss problems and solutions, celebrate highlights and successes, and collaborate to deliver high quality outcomes. We are experienced in guiding graduates and modern day apprentices towards permanent roles through formal training and informal on the job coaching. As a Disability Confident Employer, we will make any reasonable adjustments to support accessibility to our homeworking environment.
We will provide the following salary and benefits for a 4-day week:
- Annual salary of £20,000 depending on experience*
- Company pension scheme (after probationary period)
- Paid annual leave 28 days, equivalent to 7 weeks.
- Agile/flexible working
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Wellbeing Support
- Membership of Enterprise City Car Club
- Share Options upon first year anniversary.
- Salary review after six months then annually as well as career development support.
*Please note in the event that Beyond Green returned to a 35-hour working week the 4-day week salary (currently the equivalent of 4.5 days per week salary) would be re-evaluated to take into account preferred working hours (28-35 hours) and pro-rated accordingly if less than 35 hours.
Beyond Green is a member firm of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales (ICAEW), a Disability Committed Employer, a Living Wage Employer and a Cycle Friendly Employer. Our staff are trained to the highest professional standards with ICAEW, and the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA).