We are breaking the boundaries and pushing our commitment to the EVTOL world by changing the way the world travels. Our mission is powered by pioneers and progress is our prerogative.
Here at Vertical, we are developing the UK’s first fully electric, vertical take-off and landing aircraft (eVTOL), the VX4. With zero-operating emissions. Vertical is transforming the way people travel by offering a faster, safer, and greener way to move.
My impact as the The Cockpit & Cabin Systems Architect
The Cockpit & Cabin Systems Architect and will be responsible for the development, integration and verification of Cockpit & Cabin Avionics, Vehicle Management, Navigation, Communications, Flight Management, Flight Guidance and Cockpit Human Machine Interface systems on our demonstrator & production aircraft programmes.
Cockpit & Cabin Systems is an exciting area responsible for avionic equipment that is functionality-rich in order to manage a complex vehicle and simplify pilots’ tasks of flying, navigating and communicating. We are looking for someone with good knowledge of available and upcoming technologies and an ability to work in a fast-paced, agile environment.
This role will require you to take technical responsibility for the integrated verification through component, rigs, ground and flight testing. In doing this you will deploy a multitude of engineering tools and methods and need to act as a Compliance Verification Engineer (CVE).
What success will look like for the Cockpit & Cabin Systems Architect?
- Lead the technical development strategy for the Cockpit & Cabin Systems to meet the aircraft and programme objectives.
- Own the technology roadmap for the current and future development of Cockpit & Cabin Systems.
- Have responsibility for overall system architecture and design, integrating this across multiple aircraft disciplines.
- Undertake duties which requires the application of fundamental principles of engineering, control, systems integration and systems thinking in a wide and often unpredictable range of contexts.
- Approve technical IPT deliverables (plans, requirements, descriptions, reports, tasks, instructions, declarations etc).
- Mentor and develop the team on technical topics.
- Define and carry out technical trade studies for your team’s systems to meet aircraft functionality, integration and other programme objectives.
- Establish fit for purpose requirements and criteria by which the product plan will be executed to meet or exceed the aircraft objectives and certification.
- Define and maintain key interfaces (functional, comms, structural) between your systems and other aircraft teams.
- Liaise with authorities such as the CAA, EASA and FAA.
Everything sounds very interesting but how do I know this is the role for me?
- Proactivity, forward thinking and self-motivation with the ability to build and lead a team of like-minded engineers
- A clear passion for building something new.
- The ability to manage multiple tasks and thrive in a complex aircraft development environment managing multiple priorities simultaneously.
- A degree in electronics, systems or avionics engineering or similar
- A Demonstrable track record in a highly regulated industry
- A organised self-starter approach
- Experience leading the development and integration of complex systems, tightly coupled with other complex systems, within time critical programmes. You will have the technical background necessary to successfully lead the technical definition of these systems.
Specific Technical Experience in:
- Knowledge of regulatory certification specifications such as SC-VTOL, CS/FAR-23, 25, 27 or 29 is highly desirable.
- Experience working with authorities
- Experience with ARP4754, ARP4761, DO178, DO254, DO160
- Requirement Management
- Management of technical risk
- Validation & Verification
- Driving software and hardware development
- Supplier management to deliver projects involving software and complex electronics
- Avionics, data buses and communications
- Navigation, Flight Guidance and / or Flight Management
- Human Factors or Ergonomics
- An awareness of cybersecurity
Why work with us?
For us, it is important that people feel valued for the impact they have and are able to thrive and experience the career journey of a lifetime. Our overall approach to reward seeks to offer competitive packages that attract the diverse and talented people we need to achieve our ambitious objectives.
Our Ways of Working
In the UK we have two offices and a Battery facility in Bristol, an office in London and a site in Kemble with well stocked free kitchen provisions including hot drinks, fruit and breakfasts every weekday. Our typical full time working week is 37.5 hours. We recognise the world of work is rapidly evolving and that flexibility is important for us all to thrive. We want to support all employees to deliver their roles to the best possible standard by offering the right level of flexibility between our key sites and home where suitable for your role and its deliverables and our company goals. Typically, this is agreed with your team and people leader, ensuring there are times for collaboration and other activity on site and the ability to work more remotely from home as appropriate.Our Vertical Additional Benefits
- ‘Primary Benefits’ are available as standard, 5% Pension Match, 2 x Salary Life Insurance, Income Protection, 26 days + bank holiday and the opportunity for extra 5 days when getting married or forming a civil partnership
- ‘Flex Fund Benefits’ are benefits that don’t come as standard, but you can ‘pay’ for using a company provided ‘Flex Fund’ (equal to 4% of salary) Private Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, EV Car Subscription, Home EV Charger, Holiday Buy, Pension Top Up, and many more
- ‘Payroll benefits’ Workplace ISA, Commuter Loan, Interest Free Technology Loans
- ‘Extra benefits’ are the many benefits we offer that can be accessed through our rewards platform, incl. Discounted Shopping Scheme, Eye Care Benefits, Free Mortgage Advice, Financial and Comprehensive Wellness Benefits
- Eligibility to participate in our employee long-term-incentive plan
Do you like the look of this opportunity but not sure if you meet all the criteria we’ve outlined?
Here at Vertical, we are working to create an environment of growth, diversity and opportunities for people to take on challenges and push the status quo. We understand some people may not apply to jobs unless they tick every box. If you're excited about joining us and think you have much of what we're looking for, even if you're not 100% sure... we'd love to hear from you.
This is an on-going advert and interviews will be held on an ad-hoc basis until sufficient applications have been received.