Our solutions are a key part of most industries - electronics, medical research, renewable energy, food production, infrastructure and many more. Working with us means working with the latest technologies and groundbreaking, sustainable innovations.Join us on our journey for a better tomorrow.
Mission/Purpose of the Job
To guide the vision for the generation of software architectures that build on current deployed systems and to develop strategies to realise both the business needs of today as well as setting the path for future business opportunities.Main Responsibilities
Scope of the job
- Maintain awareness of product roadmaps and priorities in the Vacuum Technique Business Area as well as related research developments taking place in the NTV department.
- Use specialist software knowledge to guide and provide consultancy on the development of innovative software solutions that solve complex problems and deliver added value to Atlas Copco products.
- Provide mentorship and guidance on software architecture and designs to ensure reliable, scalable and maintainable software products can be developed.
- Establish both formal and informal networks to enable the breaking of new ground in software development. Make technical recommendations and pitches to key stakeholders to adopt new and innovative ways of working, tools and process improvement.
- Adopt and promote a continuous improvement mindset both in terms of software quality as well as delivery through measurement of KPIs as well as improving software methods.
- Provide guidance and practical recommendations on the adoption of testing frameworks to optimise delivery of software in line with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery methodologies.
- Consult with the Engineering Manager on the development of the Software Engineering Roadmap. Identify threats and maintain awareness of competitor and wider industry solutions.
- Provide guidance on the software release process and make recommendations on potential areas of improvement in terms of reliable software deployment and upgrade management.
Knowledge / Skills / Experience
- The job is involved in all stages of the software development lifecycle from requirements capturing to release validation and approval.
- The Eastbourne Product Company potentially serves all six Vacuum Technique Divisions: Scientific Vacuum, Industrial vacuum, Semicon, Semi-Service, Vacuum Technique Service and Semi-Chamber.
- The role requires very close interaction with Divisional level Engineering Managers and Marketing / Product Managers, as well as with peers at some other Product Companies, e.g. Engineering Managers, Quality Managers etc.
- There will be some need to travel to UK & European locations, and maybe very occasionally to Asia or US locations, e.g. to other Vacuum Technique sites, key suppliers and, possibly, customers.
- The role is based in Eastbourne, East Sussex, UK.
Diverse by nature and inclusive by choice
- Bachelor or Masters degree or equivalent in Computer Science or a related engineering discipline.
- Experience in developing software architectures for embedded systems. Significant experience (more than 10 years) in developing and supporting customer-deliverable software-based products
- Experience in working with Linux Operating Systems would be an advantage.
- Experience developing and introducing new software development processes.
- Must be a good communicator and have excellent fluency in spoken and written English. Must be able to develop strategies for software development and demonstrate strong influencing skills
- Significant experience working in a global engineering environment and working with international teams to deliver software solutions. Experience working in a multi-disciplinary design environment
- Significant experience working in a regulated, compliance-driven industry
- Preferably some experience in a project management role using both Waterfall and Agile (SCRUM) frameworks.
- Preferably some software team management experience
Bright ideas come from all of us. The more unique perspectives we embrace, the more innovative we are. Together we build a culture where difference is valued and we share a deep sense of purpose and belonging.