Smart Wires is reimagining
the grid with high-impact technology and services that provide a digital, secure, and accessible power system – accelerating renewable energy adoption and wide-scale electrification for a net zero world. We collaborate with our customers to achieve their strategic objectives and help them face an uncertain energy future with flexible, high-impact solutions.
The Smart Wires Application Engineering team aims to educate the world about solutions and facilitate the execution of projects to enable rapid deployment of said solutions. This will accelerate the energy transition and help ensure electricity is both sustainable and affordable. Come join our team!
Qualified candidates are energetic, excellent communicators with power sector experience who thrive when working as part of a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team.
Smart Wires is currently looking for an Application Engineer
, based in remotely in the UK
, to join our Application Engineering team.Primary Responsibilities
- Serve as the primary product expert throughout the sales process and project delivery process. This includes educating customers and other stakeholders on Smart Wires’ products and solutions.
- Develop and maintain product collateral (e.g., spec sheets, manuals, and application guides).
- Conduct site-specific studies for different applications of Smart Wires’ products and solutions (e.g. O&M cost projections, RAM studies and noise emissions studies).
- Develop and review technical reports to support the sales and deployment process.
- Participate in cross-functional teams to support the new product introduction process by representing the technical needs of the customers during the design process and studying the customer-impact of design decisions.
- Represent Smart Wires’ products in industry and academic working groups.
Required skills and experience
Desired Skills And Experience
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or a related engineering field, preferably with an emphasis in Power Systems and/or Power Electronics.
- Minimum 2 years of industry experience.
- Excellent written communication and verbal presentation skills in English (i.e. at least CEFR C1 or equivalent) to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams, customers, and stakeholders.
- Ability to work collaboratively in global teams.
- Ability to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment and not be hindered by ambiguity or multiple competing priorities.
- History working for a utility, power-system consultant or power-system equipment vendor with experience that overlaps with the responsibilities of this position.
- Experience with one or more of the following:
- FACTS or HVDC
- Power electronics
- Power system protection
- Substation design
- IEEE and/or IEC standards for high-voltage equipment
- Knowledge of power systems maintenance, operation, and control.
This position is based remotely in the UK.Employment status
This position requires the employee to have legal right to work in the UK. Smart Wires is unable to sponsor a visa for this position.Travel Requirements
This position will require ~20% travel. This travel is expected to consist mostly of day-trips or one-night trips within Europe but will also include spending ~4 weeks per year in the US. These 4 weeks will be spread across the Smart Wires’ headquarters (in Durham, NC) and the Smart Wires manufacturing facility (in St Petersburg, FL).Benefits
At Smart Wires, we strive to foster an inclusive and supportive environment that focuses on our employees’ total wellbeing, and our benefit offerings reflect that commitment to our people.We Offer
- Unlimited annual leave (Yes, we encourage employees to make full use of this benefit)
- Paid volunteer time off to give back to your community.
- Eighteen weeks of paid parental leave to support you and your family.
- Flexible workspace policy
Benefits/perks may vary depending on the nature of your employment and the country where you work.Safety Requirements
Smart Wires team members are expected to comply with all safety requirements and regulations when working at Smart Wires facilities and visiting customer sites. This includes adherence to all state and local regulations. Additional safety precautions may include the use of PPE gear as needed per site requirements.The Company
Smart Wires is a global power technology company advancing the delivery of affordable, clean electricity worldwide. With our innovative technology and advanced analytics, we maximize the grid’s capacity. This means more renewables, at a lower cost and with less disruption to communities and the environment. Smart Wires is headquartered in Durham, North Carolina, with a global workforce spread across four continents. Our team collaborates with our customers to achieve their strategic objectives and help them face an uncertain energy future with flexible, high-impact solutions.The Culture
We are passionate about creating a culture that empowers our team to create positive change for everyone., and achieve their full potential, based on our core values:Making an impact -
We are passionate and ambitious about a better future for everyone. We are laser-focused on creating a meaningful, positive impact with real change for our customers, our industry, electricity consumers, and the planet.Collaboration to drive success
- We collaborate with each other, and our stakeholders, because we know even better outcomes come from great teamwork. We have humility which allows us to listen, learn and improve. We value diverse perspectives and seek high impact results.Accountability
- We take responsibility for our actions and behaviors, and for the outcomes we deliver. Acting with integrity and authenticity – and maintaining clear, open communication – ensures we are always improving, and delivering safe, high-quality solutions. We do what we say we will do.Tenacious courage
- We are clear on our path. We have always pioneered new ideas that challenge the status quo, even when it’s not popular. We have tenacity, grit and determination. We push the boundaries of what’s thought to be possible – so we can leave the world a better place than we found it.
- Smart Wires is committed to diversity in our organization and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. Smart Wires complies with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination and we especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of any skin color, LGBTQ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.**