Abingdon Rd, Culham, UK
Salary: £38,620 (inclusive of MPP) + excellent benefits including outstanding pension
Site Location: UKAEA Culham, Oxfordshire
Confirmed Grade: Level 4
Department: H3ATCompany Description
By 2050, the planet could be using twice as much electricity compared to today. Are you interested in contributing and helping to shape the future of the worlds energy? If so, read on.
Fusion, the process that powers the Sun and Stars, is one of the most promising options for generating the cleaner, carbon-free energy that our world badly needs.
UKAEA leads the way in realizing fusion energy, partnering with industry and research for ground-breaking advancements. Our goal is to bring fusion electricity to the grid, supported by tomorrow's power stations. In pursuit of our mission, UKAEA embraces core values: Innovative, Committed, Trusted, and Collaborative.Salary: £38,620.
As An Employee Of UKAEA You Will Benefit From
- Outstanding defined benefit pension scheme, details of which can be found at the end of this advert.
- Corporate bonus scheme up to 7% and a Relocation allowance (if eligible).
- Flexible working options including family friendly policies.
- Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders.
- Emergency paid leave, Generous annual leave allowance (30.5 days) increased with length of service.
- Wide range of career development opportunities.
- A vibrant culture committed to being fully inclusive.
This role requires employees to complete an online Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS),
including The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks for criminal convictions.Job Description
Are you looking for an exciting opportunity to make a difference? Join our team and contribute to the future of fusion energy. As a Process Engineer (Research Experiments) in Hydrogen-3 Advanced Technologies (H3AT), you will conduct functional and development activities for world class fusion devices on site as well as contribute to the design of new facilities that advance enabling technologies for the international market in fusion development. These projects embody our mission to develop nuclear fusion as a source of energy generation, demonstrating the technology with a view to it ultimately becoming commercialised.
The role sits within the H3AT Tritium Innovation Unit. The Unit seeks engineers to find technical solutions to resolve, interpret and apply their knowledge to complete projects to a high standard, according to established technical management processes and deliver solutions of engineering integrity commensurate with nuclear operations. In addition, they will assist teams in the development, procurement and construction of experimental apparatus and prototyping rigs to evaluate relevant technologies.Additional Responsibilities
- Support detailed design of an experiment or small pilot plant in a research environment as a process engineer.
- Produce Block Flow Diagrams, Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs), Process & Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs), and, when required, functional specifications for managing supply chain input.
- Support the design, installation, commissioning, and early operation of an experiment.
- Chemical or Process Engineering degree, and experience in chemical, process or project engineering environments.
- Experience producing concept, preliminary, and detailed design documentation, including Block Flow Diagrams, Process Flow Diagrams, Process & Instrumentation Diagrams, and Functional Specifications for managing supply chain input.
- Experience with process hazard studies, for instance HAZIDs and HAZOPs.
- Experience interfacing with multi-discipline design elements, such as Electrical, Control and Instrumentation, Mechanical, and Safety.
- Experience with high purity gas systems and vacuum systems.
- Experience of procurement in support of project work.
- Experience working within a research environment.
For a full list of benefits and to apply, select the apply button to be taken through to the UKAEA careers pages.
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, people with disabilities, and women. Our Executive team, supported by our 'Equality, Diversity and Inclusion' (EDI) Partner and Inclusion Ambassadors, actively promotes EDI and takes steps to increase diversity within our organization. We reinforce best practices in recruitment and selection and evaluate approaches to remove barriers to success.Please note that vacancies are generally advertised for 4 weeks but may close earlier if we receive a large number of applications.
For applicants applying from outside the United Kingdom or those who have spent time outside the UK in the last five years, please visit the UK Government website for information on criminal records checks. If your country of residence or previous residence is not listed on the website or if the UK Government does not have information on obtaining a criminal records check from that state, we regret to inform you that we cannot process your application.