Help us create a net zero emission future! Founded in 2020, Acua Ocean is a fast-growing and dynamic start-up at the forefront of the carbon net zero and maritime autonomy sectors. AO is at the convergence of cutting-edge technologies, e.g., hydrogen propulsion, IoT, marine robotics and AI. We make the transition to hydrogen propulsion for marine vessels seamless with a range of products and services that help businesses and organisations achieve their zero-emission goals.
We are hiring a Hydrogen Engineer to work within our growing Engineering Team developing cutting edge technology to use in our first hydrogen-powered marine autonomous surface ship (MASS).
A successful candidate must be a team player with a passion for sharing knowledge and be ready to be at the grassroots of this growing business supporting the growth of a robust and diverse team delivering results that will revolutionise the way we protect and monitor our oceans.
Who you are:
- Able to work and lead teams of colleagues from diverse backgrounds, skills, knowledge, levels of experience and expertise as part of an early stage team.
- A hydrogen technology expert with an interest in innovation and new commercial applications.
- A Chartered Engineer or an Incorporated Engineer with an ambition to chartership during your time at ACUA Ocean.
- Able to work autonomously with a proactive mindset.
- You balance commercial considerations with a drive for quality, evaluating the data to inform your decision making.
What you’ll do:
- Act as the internal subject matter expert on hydrogen systems from a design and regulatory perspective.
- Lead the technical design, development and integration of hydrogen systems working with the wider engineering team. This will include scoping components and ensuring they work within the system of systems architecture.
- Collaborate with commercial partners - including suppliers of hydrogen - to develop processes and method statements for the bunkering of compressed gaseous and liquid hydrogen into the ACUA Ocean vessel.
- Lead the delivery of on-site hydrogen testing, including operating hydrogen equipment and training technicians to safely operate systems.
- Support the Head of Delivery in the sourcing, managing and maintaining of a top-class hydrogen supply chain.
- Participate in industry associations and client meetings, communicating and presenting insightful technical information to conferences and clients.
What you’ll need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering accredited by the Institute of Chemical Engineers as a minimum, likely with an integrated masters degree in chemical, design or systems engineering or process safety.
- +5 years experience working with hydrogen in the chemical, automotive or aerospace industry. This should include ‘hands on’ experience with hydrogen systems (operation of fuel cells and associated equipment such as fittings, valves, hoses etc).
- Experience working with cryogenic fluids, ideally liquid hydrogen.
- Experience developing risk assessments and method statements.
- Experience supporting HAZID and HAZOP workshops, preferably with regulatory bodies.
- Ability to work independently under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Eye for detail, problem solving and managing client communications and expectations.
- Competitive salary.
- 25 paid vacation days (inc birthday and Christmas closure) plus Bank Holidays.
- Comprehensive benefits package from Vitality - access to full health insurance including dental coverage.
- Awesome perks such as discounted gym memberships, mental health cover and global health coverage.
- Company laptop.
- Generous training allowance to help develop your skills.