Job Description And Qualifications
At Air Products, our purpose is to bring people together to reimagine what’s possible, collaborate and innovate solutions to the world’s most significant energy and environmental sustainability challenges. Grow with us as we embark on building tomorrow together by being the safest, most diverse, and most profitable industrial gas company in the world.Reimagine What’s Possible Roles and Responsibilities:
We are seeking a Research Engineer within our Green Hydrogen Technology team located in Hersham, UK.
The Green Hydrogen Technology team provides technical expertise in the field of low carbon-intensity hydrogen production with the express mission of innovating new technologies that improve the cost competitiveness, efficiency, productivity, and/or on-stream availability of Air Products’ offerings. A secondary purpose of the team is to provide high level support and troubleshooting capabilities for the operating plants. The team primarily works with the Green Hydrogen Product Line and associated commercial teams but will also support other technology areas (e.g., helium), as needed.
The Research Engineer will need to work with the Product Line and Commercial organizations to develop novel, and often patentable, process cycles and technologies to either progress into a product offering or implement immediately in a project. This role requires the candidate to have innovative and out-of-the-box thinking in order to generate differentiating and valuable ideas. The role also requires good organizational skills and discipline in driving development efforts toward completion using the rigorous stage-gate approach. Additionally, the role requires strong chemical engineering fundamentals and a sense of practicality to guide idea screening and technology development. The successful candidate needs to be comfortable with ambiguity and complexity, have a positive attitude, and be self-motivated with a strong sense of project ownership. Nature and scope
This is an individual contributor technologist role with a focus on cycle and new technology development for a variety of green hydrogen technologies which may include Electrolysis, Ammonia Cracking, Hydrogen Liquefaction and more. We will look to this technologist to provide leadership in green hydrogen-based process technologies. The ideal candidate should have demonstrated experience in designing and optimizing process cycles using process simulation tools utilizing an appropriate combination of reaction, adsorption, compression, and heat exchange unit operations. Prior experience in design, scale-up, start-up, and trouble-shooting of hydrogen installations, although not required, can be a desirable differentiating qualification. Skills Required / Abilities:
- Deliver all objectives safely and achieve 100% compliance with safety requirements.
- Drive competitiveness of Green Hydrogen products by developing, leading, and delivering new or improved technology offerings.
- Evaluate new ideas, processes and technologies based on applicability, CAPEX, OPEX, and return on investment.
- For ideas evaluated to be promising, build a business case, gather support, take the concept rigorously through the stage gate process, and drive it to conclusion.
- File patent applications, if appropriate, to support our new technology development efforts. Maintain awareness of current competitive activities and the state of the development of new green hydrogen technologies by outside entities.
- Work with the Product Line, Commercial, and Operations organizations to facilitate commercialization and start-up of new technology in the field.
- Work with the Technology Manager to assess new technology risks and mitigations and support the technology testing needs of newly commercialized green hydrogen-based offerings.
- BS, MS, or PhD in Chemical Engineering. A PhD degree is strongly preferred.
- Prior experience in process modeling tools, preferably ASPEN Plus.
- Demonstrated prior experience in process flow sheet development.
- Demonstrated prior experience in developing novel processes as evidenced by patent applications or granted patents.
- Familiarity with reaction, electrochemical, or cryogenic principles and operations is a plus.
- Demonstrated track record of commercializing novel technologies is a strong plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and project management skills.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with team members in remote locations.
We are the world’s largest hydrogen producer with over 80 years of industrial gas experience. We are hydrogen experts delivering safe, end-to-end solutions, investing in real, clean energy projects at scale, and driving the industry forward to generate a cleaner future.
At Air Products, we work in an environment where we put safety first, diversity is essential, inclusion is our culture, and each person knows they belong and matter. To learn more, visit About Air Products.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including paid holidays and vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance, retirement plans/401(k), and sick time. You will be eligible for benefits and also be 100% vested in your retirement benefits on your first day of employment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer (U.S.). You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, citizenship, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or veteran status.
Air Products is committed to working with and providing a reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability and you believe you need a reasonable accommodation to search for a job opening or to submit an online application, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org . General application status inquiries are not answered by this mailbox rather you’ll receive an e-mail directly from our Career Center and/or the Talent Acquisition Specialist.
# IND GEMReq No.
Global Engrg Mfg Technology & EquipmentBusiness Sector / Division
Global Gases TechnologyRegion