Software Engineer - FlexLocation:
Lisbon, London, Edinburgh or Bristol (including hybrid)Part time available:
Yes up to 80%Salary:
£53,000 - £82,000Visa Sponsorship Available:
Kaluza wants to power a world where net-zero is within everyone’s reach, by building the platform that will accelerate a sustainable, affordable and resilient energy transition. It’s a huge challenge, but often the toughest problems are the most rewarding to solve.
Since launching in 2019, Kaluza’s technology has been empowering some of the biggest energy suppliers to better serve millions of customers.
From revolutionising billing to smart electric vehicle charging, our real-time cloud platforms transform supplier operations, reducing cost to serve and boosting engagement. And most importantly, they enable suppliers' customers to drive decarbonisation with smart, low carbon technologies.Where in the world of Kaluza will I be working?
You’ll be working on Kaluza’s Flexibility platform. Designed to be the nervous system connecting energy retailers, grid operators, and consumers, Flex will aid us in creating the distributed, consumer-centric, dynamic energy system of the future. Bridging the gap between distributed renewable generation and smart devices, it helps consumers shift their energy consumption to times when there's more renewable energy. This not only saves them money, but enables society as a whole to meet the challenge of decarbonising transport and residential heating/cooling. We’re also supporting this vital shift by building the innovative technology behind unique, market-leading customer propositions like Vehicle to Grid and Charge Anytime Energy Plan with our energy retailer partners.
You'll be joining the Kaluza Technology community. We’re a large team of both data-led and product focused Software and Production Engineers, pushing the boundaries of technology and working at an extraordinary scale. As a collective we strive for engineering greatness and by ensuring best practices across the board of the community.What will I be doing?
We have a backend and a fullstack roles available on a team that is working on integrating new electric vehicles from one of our partners to the Flex platform and building interfaces to integrate with an energy retailer to offer flexible propositions to their end customers (such as Charge Anytime for OVO Energy).
You’ll be involved in the full lifecycle from rapid prototyping to helping us scope our work and backlog refinement to developing. You will join our support rota to triage platform issues and respond to incidents. Kaluza itself has a great learning culture and as an engineer in Flex you can also expect to dedicate some of your time to active learning and development.
We don’t expect you to arrive with experience of all of them, but you can expect to learn about and get hands-on with many technologies, in particular Go, Kafka, Flutter, and GCP.
Kaluza teams typically follow a Scrum approach to Agile development, making use of tools like Miro, Confluence, Jira and Trello for workshops, documentation, task management, etc.Is this the job for me?
You’re the right person for us if…
- You’re a hands-on engineer with expertise in at least one programming language - if your experience doesn't match our stack exactly then don't worry, we hire based on software engineering talent, not language-specific skillset. Interested in us? We're interested in you!
- You have built or contributed to a variety of systems, ideally in different technologies
- You have knowledge of the best engineering practices and continuous delivery
- You are genuinely passionate about developing products that will positively impact over a million people and also our environment
- You love working in teams and collaboratively building features that impact customers
- You are motivated by owning products, from inception to continuous improvement
- You have a bias to action and a ‘Can do’ approach to problem solving in the face of uncertainty
- You seek learning opportunities to deepen your expertise or broaden your knowledge
- Experience and expertise building iOS and/or Android apps with Flutter or similar framework is a plus
- Experience of developing backend applications in Go is a plus
- Experience with event-driven architectures is a plus
Here at Kaluza we have five core values that guide us as a business:We’re on a mission, We build together, We’re inclusive, We get it done, We communicate with purpose.
Our values are not words on a wall — they are at the heart of our culture. They are how we make decisions and how we treat each other. They are concrete and clear, and reflect what we as people, and as a business, really care about.
Kaluza’s vision is to power a world where net-zero is within everyone’s reach. Would you be interested in joining us to help achieve this?From us you’ll get
- Pension Scheme
- Kaluza Share Scheme
- Discretionary Bonus Scheme
- Private Medical Insurance + Virtual GP
- Life Assurance
- Access to Furthr - a Climate Action app
- Free Mortgage Advice and Eye Tests
- Perks at Work - access to thousands of retail discounts
- 5% Flex Fund to spend on the benefits you want most
- 26 days holiday
- Flexible bank holidays, giving you an additional 8 days which you can choose to take whenever you like
- Progressive leave policies with no qualifying service periods, including 26 weeks full pay if you have a new addition to your family
- Dedicated personal learning and home office budgets
- Flexible working — we trust you to work in a way that suits your lifestyle
- And more…
Even better? You’ll have access to these benefits from day 1 when you join.We want the best people
At Kaluza, we empower our people to have choices around where and when they work - flexible working arrangements can be discussed for all of our roles. Please speak to the Talent Acquisition team for more info.
We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds - our view is the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We want to build teams which represent a variety of experiences, perspectives and skills, and we recognise talent on the basis of merit and potential.
We understand some people may not apply for jobs unless they tick every box. If you're excited about joining us and think you have much of what we're looking for, even if you're not 100% sure… we'd love to hear from you.
Learn more about working in Kaluza
on our careers page