An exciting opportunity to work at the Shell Energy Software Engineering organization in Shell IT. We are looking for a talented Senior Software Engineer – Application Development with great interpersonal skills to join our team. Shell’s business has been built on a foundation of innovative technology and skilled people. By providing energy to sustain people’s lives over 125 years, Shell is one of the world’s leading companies. Information & Digital Engineering gives you an opportunity to make an impact that matters.Where you fit in
At Information & Digital Engineering, we believe in nurturing your potential, as it directly shapes our collective future. Technology underpins every facet of our operations, and we tackle some of the world’s most intricate challenges. Here, you'll not only engage with cutting-edge technology but, given Shell's expansive reach, you'll also play a role in defining the next era of digital innovation alongside industry leaders. Embracing open source principles in our tech ecosystem means you'll have the chance to give back to the global software community. Our diverse range of roles ensures ample room for your professional development.What’s the role?
Full stack C# .NET Developer with experience in a trading environment (ideally commodity / energy), required to join the Market Analysis team within Trading and Supply at Shell Energy. You will be working in a front office trading environment dealing directly with business users & stakeholders. The role involves development & support of the existing platform for managing market and fundamental data across capture, forecasting and visualisation for Power, Gas and Weather. The team is growing rapidly as the platform is evolved to match our low carbon ambitions.
What We Need From You
- Provide expert guidance and develop solutions in alignment with enterprise technology principles, methods, standards, and practices.
- Handle estimation, solution design, detailed technical planning, and deliver application-related technical components, encompassing code, associated tests, and documentation.
- Contribute to achieving functional excellence by defining and upholding standards, methods, and tools, incorporating industry best practices.
- Effectively manage intricate integration scenarios and interfaces across on-premises solutions, cloud, and legacy systems.
- Collaborating directly with business users (desk analysts) to comprehend and enhance requirements.
- Partnering closely with the lead functional developer to outline, create, test, and deploy new features.
- Offering workarounds and bug fixes for critical production issues.
- Promoting best practices and standards within the development team.
We are keen to hear from the candidates with below skill set:
- The candidate should have substantial years of relevant software development experience, encompassing front-end, back-end, and cloud automation and orchestration, with a strong focus on either front-end or back-end development.
- Experience working in Agile teams, applying the best architectural, design, and unit testing patterns and practices, while maintaining a high standard of code quality and adherence to coding standards.
- Proficiency in .Net/C# programming.
- Robust experience with SQL Server.
- Expertise in Docker and Kubernetes.
- Familiarity with Redis.
- Knowledge of CI/CD pipelines.
- Understanding of Storage accounts and service bus in Azure.
- Previous involvement in a high-paced demand-driven trading environment (e.g. embedded desk developer).
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, demonstrating an ability to balance diplomatic and pragmatic approaches with formal processes.
- Proactive learning capabilities, able to swiftly grasp the domain and existing solution with support and guidance from the lead functional developer.
- Proficiency in fundamental modeling of commodities, particularly in the energy sector (power, gas, environmental products), and familiarity with meteorology would distinguish top candidates.
- Experience with Azure or other Cloud-based hosting.
- Familiarity with Entity Framework.
- Proficiency in Terraform.
- Expertise in .Net Api.
- Familiarity with Azure Event Hub.
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.