ev.energy set up in 2018 to make electric vehicle charging greener, simpler and cheaper. We do this by ingesting real-time data from various sources which, partnered with our smart-charging algorithm, means we align charging sessions with energy from renewable sources, helping drivers avoid charging their car at peak times using fossil-fuel derived energy.
EVs are growing in popularity; a third of new cars sold by 2030 will be electric. At the same time, power outages in the US have already grown 64% from the previous decade, and the rise of EV ownership will likely cause further strain. Solutions like ours offer a way to reduce this demand on the grid, benefitting utilities as well as drivers and the environment.
To make this happen we’ve brought together a great team of 100+ bringing expertise from previous roles at National Grid, Tesla, Amazon, Enel-X, Meta and others, secured over 50m USD in funding, and achieved accolades like ‘World’s Best Energy Start-Up’ in the Free Electrons programme. We’re looking for more mission-driven and talented folk to join the team, working remotely in either Europe or North America, to drive change for the better. The role
We’re looking for our first Analytics Engineer to join the team! You’ll be implementing the tooling required for all of our analytics and activation use cases, enabling this to scale to over one million users. You will work closely with Product, Marketing, Analytics, and Commercial teams to empower them to make data-driven decisions based on reliable real-time information. You will also play a critical role in delivering value directly to our drivers, utility clients and hardware partners through embedded insights. This is a chance to build the analytics stack and platform you have been dreaming of from the ground up, and make a tangible impact on addressing climate change in the process!What will you do?
- Partnering with Product, Marketing and Commercial teams to understand their needs and expectations and translate these into concrete deliverables
- Designing and building robust data models supporting many facets within the business as we scale to over 1m users over the coming years
- Enabling analytics internally and externally, including product analytics; market activation; KPI dashboards; self-serve analytics; and embedded analytics for utilities and hardware partners
- Create elegant foundational ETL processes to support these use cases
- Continuously design, transform, test, deploy and document data sources and data models (mostly using SQL and dbt)
- Working with engineering teams to ensure data are flowing accurately through from creation to presentation layers
- Proactively identifying technical debt and communicate any risks
- Optimising for performance and cost across different data warehouses
- Collaborating with peers across the company, communicating deadlines, understanding needs and priorities, and building great working relationships
What are we looking for?
How will we support you?
- Previous experience as an Analytics Engineer, ideally within a start-up of a similar size with an awareness of the challenges that can arise at this point in the journey
- Expertise in at least one data warehouse and experience of others, with an understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of each
- An understanding of data warehouse optimisation techniques
- Experience delivering data products from conception through to delivery
- An understanding of different data modelling architectures
- Excellent experience and proficiency with SQL and dbt (and ability to work with our wider stack - Python, AWS, PostgreSQL, Rudderstack, Snowflake, Fivetran, etc)
- Confidence when taking ownership, and comfort working autonomously as part of a distributed and high-performing team
- Eagerness to understand industry trends and new tools or approaches and how this can benefit the company longer term
- Capability to drive initiatives and communicate their value to Engineering and other stakeholders
- Previous experience or deep understanding of the energy sector is desirable but not essential - we do want to bring someone in who will be passionate about our product and mission, however!
- Remote working, investing in your home office setup or a co-working location convenient for you
- Access to conferences, meet-ups and training with an L&D budget
- A top of the range Macbook Pro and all you need to do your best work
- A structured career progression framework and advancement opportunities
- Health insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Generous equity
- Quarterly team meet-ups, to collaborate and have fun in person!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are transparent about salaries - this role pays 65,000 - 85,000 GBP for candidates based in the UK, as well as share options. We welcome applications from mainland Europe as well, but would apply a cost of living adjustment to the salary.