Do you want to work to make Power for Good?
We're the world's largest independent renewable energy company. We're guided by a simple yet powerful vision: to create a future where everyone has access to affordable, zero carbon energy.
We know that achieving our goals would be impossible without our people. Because we're solving some of the world's toughest problems, we need the very best people to help us. They're our most important asset so that's why we continually invest in them.
RES is a family with a diverse workforce, and we are dedicated to the personal professional growth of our people, no matter what stage of their career they're at. We can promise you rewarding work which makes a real impact, the chance to learn from inspiring colleagues from across a growing, global network and opportunities to grow personally and professionally.
Our competitive package offers rewards and benefits including pension schemes, flexible working, and top-down emphasis on better work-life balance. We also offer private healthcare, discounted green travel, 25 days holiday with options to buy/sell days, enhanced family leave and four volunteering days per year so you can make a difference somewhere else.Summary
RES is seeking a Controls Software Engineer in the Group Engineering SCADA and Controls Team. The Controls Software Engineer will be responsible for the development and support of edge device-based control systems used in wind, solar, and energy storage projects. You will be programming container-based applications primarily in C# for deployment at the location of renewable energy projects. Python is sometimes used for parts of the control system, and for data analysis. You will work with other members of RES teams to understand the requirements of the projects, then implement those requirements using modern software development techniques. The goal is to develop safe, secure, robust, and reliable controller applications that can be easily understood and supported by other team members.Specific Duties
- Design and develop software solutions that meet the requirements of the project.
- Develop and support tests and testing systems to ensure the software is adequately tested before deployment.
- Develop and deploy analysis software to evaluate the performance of control systems.
- Design and implement optimal cloud and edge solutions using Azure IoT technology that meet the RES performance and security requirements.
- Work with other teams to develop and deploy software modules to provide inputs to the Edge Controller.
- Use git and GitHub to manage the software lifecycle including version control, issue management, feature branches, and pull requests.
- Manage work assignments and application deployments using agile processes.
- Design and document contractual testing procedures for controls code.
- Ensure that all safety and security requirements are met.
- Troubleshoot and debug issues throughout the software lifecycle.
- Stay current with professional and industrial best practices.
- Follow any other job-related duties/functions requested by your supervisor.
- Follow safety and security procedures and determine appropriate action including reporting potentially unsafe conditions. Use materials and equipment properly.
Following is a list of qualifications that would be ideal for the position. Candidates with only some of these qualifications will also be considered.
- Proficient developing applications in C#, C++, or Java.
- Familiar with Python and data analysis techniques.
- Experience with Azure IoT Edge framework and Docker.
- Proven software experience that includes a proven track record of deploying production-level code.
- Knowledge of power industry communication protocols (OPC, Modbus, DNP3, IEC61850)
- Understanding of, and experience with, RTACs and PLCs.
- Data acquisition, storage, and handling experience including experience with relational databases.
- Experience working with SCADA systems.
- Knowledge of networks and security best practices.
- Experience developing human-machine interfaces (HMI’s) and considering user experience.
- Experience with renewable assets including solar inverters, wind plant SCADA systems and plant controllers, and energy storage systems.
- BS degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Computer Engineering. Another degree with extensive relevant experience will also be considered.
- Ability to read, write, and speak in English; additional languages such as Spanish, French, or Chinese a plus.
- Ability to interact with customers, suppliers, and coworkers in multiple countries in a professional and respectful manner.
- Ability to estimate work schedule effectively, prioritize tasks, and deliver on schedule to make cost-effective projects.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with other internal and external teams to ensure that projects are delivered in an orderly fashion with a high degree of safety and quality.
- Employees must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess an appropriate valid driver's license, possess personal insurance coverage, and have an acceptable driving record.
- Must be willing to travel 10% of the time.
At RES we celebrate difference as we know it makes our company a great place to work. Encouraging applicants with different backgrounds, ideas and points of view, we create teams who work together to solve complex problems and design practical solutions for our clients. Our multiple perspectives come from many sources including the diverse ethnicity, culture, gender, nationality, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, marital status, parental status, education, social background and life experience of our people.