At Black & Veatch, our employee-owners go beyond the project. For over a century, we have been breaking down social, economic and geographic barriers by making life's critical resources accessible to all. Working with us, you will help provide critical expertise as we, along with our valued clients, deliver solutions that positively impact communities around the world. Our professionals are our greatest asset, and we believe nothing is more important than the health, happiness and professional growth of our employee-owners. With a focus on flexible work-life balance options, an expanding and diverse workforce, and limitless career growth opportunities, we will give you our best to help you give us your best, and together we can build a world of difference.
As a member of the Mechanical team at Black & Veatch, you will be part of a progressive, growing business within a global organisation recognised for consistently delivering impactful solutions for over a century. This team specialises in delivering Data Centres, Power Plants, Renewable Energy Infrastructure and Water treatment facility. Black & Veatch undertake planning, design, engineering, construction, technology, and energy services to our valued clients.
We're growing in EMEA with big ambitions! B&V are a major player in the US data centre space with existing relationships with key clients. Our goal is to build on our excellent reputation and grow the business in EMEA. Initially working on a key project in London, longer term there is the potential to support and lead projects across EMEA.
Working closely with the service solutions lead and other data centre discipline leads, you will lead the mechanical engineering work in Data Centre infrastructure projects. Strong collaboration and support from the DC teams in the US and India, with the opportunity to grow and shape the business in EMEA, make this a rare and exciting opportunity!
This a permanent role and will ideally be based in London, working hybrid from home and in the office (near Euston) 2-3 days per week. We're happy to consider applicants from outside the London area if you can commute at least a few times a month.
- Lead Data Centre Mechanical Discipline
- Lead efforts to deliver detailed design of large-scale HVAC and plumbing systems while following all company, client, and project design; may involve leading teams dedicated to these design deliverables.
- Provide subject matter expertise in Data Centre/ Mission Critical HVAC/plumbing design.
- Experienced with application of UK and European codes and standards.
- Work closely with engineering project teams and field personnel to complete and review projects on scope, budget and schedule. Perform project tasks and assignments within budgeted hours and deadlines. Incorporate schedules, budgets and project criteria into physical design and layouts.
- Possess a willingness to function in multiple job roles simultaneously.
- Provide guidance and insight into design risk factors for redundancy and resiliency.
- Conducts field surveys, to assess conditions of existing facilities and develop summary reports.
- Prepare and/or review and provide guidance on technical drawings to ensure that installations and designs conform to standards and customer requirements.
- Review drawing and modelling production work, including problem analysis.
- Compile data and create engineering studies and reports.
- Perform detailed calculations as needed by the project.
- Mentor, provide guidance, and potentially supervise more junior-level engineers and designers.
- Provide training for other technical personnel in areas of expertise.
- Coordinate with internal and external clients to determine proper requirements for projects.
- Professional written and verbal communication skills and strong analytical and problem-solving skills are imperative to success in this position.
Profile & Qualifications
The ideal candidate will bring expertise in Data Centres, or the role may also suit someone with a building services engineering background. You'll have strong experience in mechanical engineering with a proven ability to lead the work in this discipline. An ability and interest to engage in a variety of responsibilities to ensure we safely delivery projects that meet or exceed client expectations is important. To do so effectively, candidates must be able to problem solve and deal with ambiguous scopes to provide clients with flexible solutions on a fast-paced schedule. Additionally, a successful candidate must possess professional written and verbal communication skills as this role will interact directly with our clients, which include many of the top companies within the Data Centre industry as well as enterprise-level clients with mission critical infrastructure needs.
- Bachelor’s degree Mechanical Engineering
- Chartered Engineer (CEng) or CIBSE
- Mechanical MEP experience in the UK (typically 8+ years relevant experience at this level)
- Previous experience within Data Centre and/or Mission Critical Facilities OR a strong background in Building Services Engineering
- Experience in UK Codes & Standards.
- Familiarity with codes preferably including BS EN 50600 and ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 90.4 and CIBSE guidance documents
- Experienced with construction support
- Demonstrated understanding of design risk factors for redundancy and resiliency
- Understanding of design differences in hyper-scale, edge, and colocation data centres
- Possesses a proficiency in 3D modelling as well as managing and creating complex families with custom parameters within Autodesk Revit
- Sound problem solving skills and experience
- Familiarity with Data Centre tier rating systems
- Strong knowledge of Autodesk Revit
- Experience utilizing BIM 360, Navisworks, Revit work sets, view templates and project phasing
- Understanding of Bentley software
- Self-motivated to deliver results when given a deadline
- Attention to detail with the ability to manage competing priorities simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to analyse and leverage data and metrics to challenge current assumptions
- Use AutoCAD/Revit/BIM and engineering studies software to perform engineering tasks
- Sound, professional communication skills to engage in client-facing activities.
- Experience with CDM regulations.
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
Black & Veatch is committed to being an employer of choice by creating a valuable work experience that keeps our people engaged, productive, safe and healthy. We offer professionals an array of health and welfare benefits that vary based on their geographic region and employment status. This may include health, life accident and disability insurances, paid time off, financial programs and more. Professionals may also be eligible for a performance-based bonus program.
By valuing diverse voices and perspectives, we cultivate an authentically inclusive environment for professionals and are able to provide innovative and effective solutions for clients.