Our Central London team is looking for talented and enthusiastic analysts to perform weapon system assessments for our UK Ministry of Defence (MOD) customer. The role will suit either recent STEM graduates, postgraduates, or those with relevant industry experience of systems engineering who wish to apply their abilities in a technical analysis and systems assessment environment. This is intended as a fulltime position, but we would consider part time working of 4 days per weekThe type of project will you be working on
What You’ll Do As a Defence Analytics Engineer
- Customer Integration You will be a member of a weapons project team within our larger Defence Analytics Group working in Central London. The group is integrated into a joint unit with government employees, members of the armed forces, and other contractors.
- The Challenge To conduct analysis to assess the performance and capability of weapon systems. Complex problems are solved through the application of scientific methods, physical principles, and analytics to intractable data sets. This process may involve new techniques and their encapsulation in improved tools.
- Collaboration You will be working in close liaison with teams within the UK and partner nations, with the opportunity to contribute, influence, challenge and improve joint ways of working and knowledge.
- Breadth You will be working in an environment where both the complexity and capabilities of the systems are continually evolving throughout the world.
What We Need From You
- Conduct analysis through the application of physical principles to real world problems. This will be facilitated through the suite of in-house software tools and the development of ad-hoc software, primarily in Python.
- Production of reports and presentations of your work and presentation of them to local MOD customers and the wider community both within the UK and partner nations.
- Provide ad hoc advice and support to MOD customers, often at short notice.
- Use your developing experience and knowledge to propose and implement improvements to tools and processes.
- In conjunction with the project team conduct regular liaison with both MOD and the wider customer base to keep them informed of recent developments and to determine future analysis requirements.
- Seek co-operative and collaborative approaches with our UK and multi-national partners, identifying best practice.
- Travel for technical exchanges with our partners, in the UK and abroad.
It would be nice if you had
- A good understanding of scientific methods and their use through the application of fundamental physical principles.
- A degree in a STEM subject and strong numerical and analytical skills, with the ability to apply these to real world problems.
- Good Interpersonal skills to facilitate collaborative and effective working within an inter-disciplinary team.
- Ability to problem solve and self-steer, work to deadlines as necessary, sometimes at short notice.
- Ability to communicate, both in writing and verbally, with audiences of differing technical backgrounds and seniority.
What You Will Get
- Although not essential, an appreciation of aerospace technologies, such as aerodynamics, propulsion, guidance & control, weapon systems sensors would be an advantage.
- Experience of Python and C# would be a distinct advantage.
- Impact You will help ensure that MOD’s weapon assessments are robust and delivered in a timely manner to UK Defence partners and front-line forces.
- Opportunity To play a key role in MOD weapon assessment which is a critical input to MOD’s equipment procurement programs.
- Knowledge You will develop a detailed understanding of weapon systems and how they operate.
- Skills You will develop a range of analytical, software and interpersonal skills.
- Insights Working within a Leonardo team that is fully integrated with its MOD customer will provide an excellent opportunity to see up-close how the MOD operates.
- Teamwork You will work with a diverse technical team in a highly collaborative environment.
- Delegation It is expected that you will steer tasks, processes and improvement initiatives.
You will have, or be able to obtain, UK national security clearances appropriate for sensitive assessment work. For more information and guidance please visit
https //www.gov.uk/government/publications/united-kingdom-security-vetting-clearance-levelLife at Leonardo
With a company funded benefits package, a commitment to learning and development, and a flexible approach to working hours focused on the needs of both our employees and customers, a career with Leonardo has never offered as many opportunities or been more accessible to as many people.
- Pension Award winning pension scheme (up to 10% employer contribution)
- Holidays 25 days plus bank holidays, option to buy/sell leave and to accrue up to 12 additional flexi leave days per year
- Flexible Working Flexible hours with hybrid working options. For part time opportunities, please talk to us
- Wellbeing Employee Assistance Programme, access to Mental Health support, Financial wellbeing support, network groups (Enable, Pride, Equalise, Reservists, Carers)
- Lifestyle Discounted Gym membership, Cycle to work scheme
- Company funded flexible benefits Access to private healthcare, dental schemes, Workplace ISA, Go Green Car Scheme, technology and lifestyle options (£500 annual allowance)
- Training Free access to more than 4000 online courses via Coursera
- Referral Incentive You can earn a reward for successfully referring a friend or family member
- Bonus Scheme in place for all employees at management level and below
For a full list of our Company benefits please visit our website.
Leonardo is a global high-tech company and one of the key players in Aerospace, Defence and Security. Headquartered in Italy, Leonardo has over 45,000 employees, of which 7,000 are based in the UK.
At Leonardo UK, we believe that a diverse and inclusive work environment unlocks our people’s full potential and drives innovation and creativity. We work hard to offer a welcoming, accessible and inclusive place to work for all of our people, creating a culture where everyone can thrive, feel safe and have a sense of belonging and connection.
This is a great opportunity to bring your talents and form an integral part of Leonardo’s future. We can help you develop your skills and offer great opportunities to develop and grow, so why not join us.Primary Location
GB - London - WhitehallContract Type