Depop is the community-powered fashion marketplace to buy and sell circular fashion, with over 30 million registered users in more than 150 countries. Depop is a place for anyone to discover and celebrate their style on their own terms, and to feel good about their fashion choices by extending the lives of millions of garments.
The company was founded in 2011 and is headquartered in London with offices in Manchester and New York. Depop has approximately 400 employees dedicated to its mission of building the world’s most diverse progressive home of fashion, that’s kinder on the planet and kinder to people. In 2021, Depop became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Etsy - the global marketplace for unique and creative goods - and continues to operate as a standalone company.
Depop is an equal-opportunity employer. Our mission is to build the world’s most diverse progressive home of fashion. To do this, we encourage people from underrepresented communities to apply. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We’re continuing to build recruitment processes that are fair and welcome requests for any reasonable adjustments required throughout your interview experience with us.Job Description
Application Deadline: December 1st
Location: London, UK. Please only apply if you are currently UK based
Depop is looking for talented Data Science Interns to join our Applied ML team for 12 weeks from March 2024.
Our team of 17 Data Scientists and MLOps engineers work at the forefront of ethical fashion understanding, leveraging cutting-edge ML techniques and technology to empower our community and enhance their experiences. We're passionate about what we do and invite you to be a part of it.
As a Data Science intern at Depop, you’ll join one of our high performing teams:
- Search: Dive into the world of search technologies, primarily Elasticsearch and Learning to Rank. Optimise our search algorithms to ensure that users can effortlessly discover their perfect fashion treasures within our vast marketplace.
- Recommendations: Join the team responsible for crafting our popular daily recommendations that connect our community with items they'll love. Leverage the power of data and machine learning to create personalised shopping experiences.
- Trust and Safety: Play a vital role in keeping our platform secure and trustworthy. Develop models to identify prohibited items, fraudulent activities, and other trust and safety concerns, ensuring that our users can shop and sell with confidence.
- Sellers: Work alongside our sellers' team to automate the listing process, making it as seamless as possible. Build solutions to streamline and enhance the experience for our valued sellers.
As an intern at Depop, you'll experience a unique and highly individualised mentorship program within the Data Science team. You'll be able to learn directly from seasoned professionals who will guide you through every aspect of your role. Our team is dedicated to fostering your growth, ensuring you gain hands-on experience, and you’ll receive personalised guidance to hone your data science skills, enabling you to make a real impact in the field.Timelines
Candidates must be available to start in a full-time capacity for 12 weeks commencing early March 2024.
Please clearly state your availability in your application, as preference will be given to candidates committed to these start dates.
Applications will be reviewed in early December, and successful candidates will be invited for interviews throughout January and February 2024.Responsibilities
- Research, design and deliver machine learning solutions to tackle problems within the Applied ML space
- Read around the state-of-the-art research for your internship project, with the opportunity to apply this within the product
- Participate in team ceremonies (follow the agile cadence, technical whiteboarding sessions, product roadmapping, etc)
- Report and present technical findings to technical and non-technical audiences
Skills and experience
- Completed a degree programme in a quantitative subject such as Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics or related disciplines or a track record of relevant industry experience
- Experience in at least one coding language
- Solid understanding of machine learning and data science concepts,
- Collaborative and humble team player with an ability to work with cross-functional teams, including technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Passion for learning new skills and staying up-to-date with ML algorithms
- Experience with Python
- Familiar working with common frameworks such as scikit-learn, TensorFlow, or PyTorch
Health + Mental Wellbeing
- Healthcare with Bupa - access to PMI and a cash plan with Bupa
- Subsidised counselling and coaching - we partner with Self Space to provide you with the opportunity for a good conversation with a qualified person
- Cycle to Work scheme - choose between Evans or the Green Commute Initiative to help access a bike for your commute
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) - have access to a confidential support network of expert advice 24/7
- Mental Health First Aiders - we have trained individuals across the business to offer support and signposting
- 25 days annual leave pro-rated, with the option to carry over up to 5 days
- 1 company-wide day off per quarter, for you to take some time for yourself and decompress
MyMode is our hybrid-working model, designed to empower our employees to choose a working mode that works for them. MyMode is composed of 3 working modes: Flex, Office Based and Remote.
- Flex: we'd love you to head to your nearest Depop office once a week, but feel free to work from home the rest of the week.
- Office: Want to head into the office more? No problem, you can opt to be "Office-Based", with your very own desk.
- Remote: depending on your role you can request to be a remote worker, and only head into the office 4 times per year.
All of our offices are also dog-friendly! Do your best work with your best friend.Family Life
Our parental leave policies aim to support and enable parents to play equal roles in nurturing their families, in a way that is flexible and truly gender-neutral. Our full-time regular employees are eligible for 18 weeks of paid parental leave for the birth or adoption of their child. We also offer IVF leave, shared parental leave and paid emergency parent/carer leave.Learn and Grow
- We offer budgets for conferences, learning subscriptions and more. We also sponsor and run a myriad of programmes, conferences and meet-ups to upskill our employees and enhance their journey with us.
- Life Insurance (financial compensation of 3x your salary)
- Pension (Depop will match your contribution up to 6% of your qualifying earnings)
And finally, as a valued Depop employee we waive all of our employees’ fees when they sell on Depop so you can ship your sold items anywhere in the UK for free.