Norstella is a group of prominent pharmaceutical solutions providers – Evaluate, MMIT, Panalgo, The Dedham Group and Citeline – that help clients navigate complexities at each step of the drug development life cycle, from pipeline to patient. For more information, please visit Norstella.com.
Evaluate is a global company providing outstanding market intelligence services for the Pharmaceutical, Medical Device, Financial and Consulting sectors, through the Evaluate Pharma®, Evaluate Medtech®, Evaluate Omnium and Evaluate Vantage® online brands. Our international clients in Pharma and Biotech, Medtech, Banking and Consultancy regard Evaluate Pharma® as the industry’s gold standard for timely and accurate analysis of reported drug sales, consensus sales forecasts, R&D pipeline, markets and comprehensive company financials.
At Norstella, we use data science to enrich, analyse and provide detailed insights on the pharmaceutical landscape. We do not just sell raw data; we deliver answers you can act on.
The Data Science Department consists of several teams: Strategic Intelligence, Market Access, Clinical, and Consulting, all of which are mature and well-functioning teams. However, the core of Norstella is the acquisition of data. This area is a significant investment for the business, and we have ambitious plans over the next three years to develop a new content ingestion platform (called Fusion) to unify our content teams across five different business units. We are building this to be AI-first, where the human team role will be to correct and train the ML models to improve performance over time. As such, we are looking for a leader to manage a new Data Science team within the department focused on this core part of the business.
SCOPE OF THE ROLE
We are looking for an experienced and capable leader to join as Content Data Science Lead to build and develop this team:
- Work with the Head of Data Science to ensure the practices and methodologies are aligned with the group;
- Manage the team of NLP data scientists already in the business;
- Develop and build out the roadmap for achievable and productive projects during your first few months as you speak to others in the business;
- Expand the team to include technical business analysts, ML engineers and related roles within the Content team to support the roadmap;
- Inherit and improve the existing DS frameworks we have developed for NER (drugs, companies, diseases, routes of administration, and other terms);
- Work with the engineering team to make these algorithms available in UI interfaces for data ops;
- Work with ML Engineers to make active learning and continual improvement a core part of this process.
HOW YOU’LL SUCCEED
Our goal is to smooth patient access to life-saving therapies. We can’t do this without high quality data to provide to our customers in the pharmaceutical sector, and to drive our product-facing data science algorithms.
We are currently rebuilding our process to collect this data, using a blend of sources both public and proprietary. This is a green-field build, so you will not be constrained by legacy processes or code.
Our sources include biomedical research documents, company trading updates and annual reports, web crawlers, clinical trial documents, and pharmaceutical claims data from the US covering hundreds of millions of lives.
You will work with the Fusion team initially to apply the existing techniques and frameworks we have to this ingestion process, while learning about any gaps in our capabilities. As a next step, you will hire additional people to fill those gaps and start working on the roadmap you will have laid out.
You will build a high performing team, manage projects to successful completion as well as mentor data scientists to develop their skills and ensure their approach to the projects is robust and reliable. You will be expected to be hands-on, review their code and methodology as well as help them present their work to the broader data science team. Each project will require metrics to describe performance, and have a plan for improvement in the future, once more ground-truth data is returned from the human curators.
WHAT IT TAKES
- A degree in a relevant field, such as computer science, mathematics, data science or a related field;
- Extensive data science experience including NLP experience;
- Exceptional problem-solving skills and the ability to think strategically;
- Understanding of pharmaceutical lifecycle;
- Proven experience of building and managing high-performance data science teams;
- Expert level Python skills;
- Passion for and knowledge of the cutting edge in data science, as well as proven traditional NLP methods;
- Experience of deploying ML models in the cloud, particularly AWS;
- Being detail-oriented and highly organised – an effective planner;
- Great communication skills, in particular for finding opportunities and shaping new research and DS services for the business.
WHAT WE OFFER YOU
- 25 days annual leave, 4 days for volunteering and a personal day
- 5% pension match
- Group Life Assurance (100% employer funded)
- Group Income Protection (100% employer funded)
- Other voluntary benefits such as: Dental, Cash Plan, PMI Excess Cover, Health Screening & Critical Illness
The guiding principles for success at Norstella:
01: Bold, Passionate, Mission-First
We have a lofty mission to Smooth Access to Life Saving Therapies and we will get there by being bold and passionate about the mission and our clients. Our clients and the mission in what we are trying to accomplish must be in the forefront of our minds in everything we do.
02: Integrity, Truth, Reality
We make promises that we can keep, and goals that push us to new heights. Our integrity offers us the opportunity to learn and improve by being honest about what works and what doesn’t. By being true to the data and producing realistic metrics, we are able to create plans and resources to achieve our goals.
03: Kindness, Empathy, Grace
We will empathize with everyone's situation, provide positive and constructive feedback with kindness, and accept opportunities for improvement with grace and gratitude. We use this principle across the organization to collaborate and build lines of open communication.
04: Resilience, Mettle, Perseverance
We will persevere – even in difficult and challenging situations. Our ability to recover from missteps and failures in a positive way will help us to be successful in our mission.
05: Humility, Gratitude, Learning
We will be true learners by showing humility and gratitude in our work. We recognize that the smartest person in the room is the one who is always listening, learning, and willing to shift their thinking.
Equal Opportunities Statement
Evaluate is an equal opportunities employer and do not discriminate on the grounds of gender, sexual orientation, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, gender reassignment, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, disability or age. Our ethos is to respect and value people’s differences, to help everyone achieve more at work as well as in their personal lives so that they feel proud of the part they play in our success. We believe that all decisions about people at work should be based on the individual’s abilities, skills, performance and behaviour and our business requirements. Evaluate operates a zero tolerance policy to any form of discrimination, abuse or harassment.
We know that sometimes the 'perfect candidate' doesn't exist, and that sometimes the best opportunities are hidden by self-doubt. We disqualify ourselves before we have the opportunity to be considered. Regardless of where you came from, how you identify, or the path that led you here, you are welcome. If you read this job description and feel engaged and excited, we’d love to see you apply.