Pressure Systems Engineer - Permanent £40k - £60k - Manchester / London
- Provide technical support and advice to clients in the area of pressure systems design and integrity.
- Produce high quality formal technical reports, on time and within budget.
- Be an ambassador for nurturing internal stakeholder relationships and identifying future business needs.
- Support and assist in the development of other team members as required.
- Carry out activities associated with our Pressure Systems (Safety) Regulations Competent Person role.
- Design and/or design review of boiler pressure parts and vessels for new-build or retrofit applications to established design codes e.g. EN12952, ASME I, EN13445, ASME VIII, PD5500.
- Design and/or design review (including flexibility analysis) of power plant piping systems for new build or retrofit applications to established design codes e.g. EN13480, ASME B31.1.
- Design and/or design review of boiler hot structures e.g. ductwork, supports, framing systems, expansion joints.
- Site inspection of power plant boiler pressure parts and structures, assessment of condition and production of recommendations for any remedial work.
- Site inspection of piping system supports with analysis of cold to hot movements, assessment of condition and production of recommendations for any remedial work.
- Carry out or contribute to boiler & pressure systems plant operational assessments relating to e.g. flexible operation, proposed plant upgrades, troubleshooting plant issues, etc.
- Carry out or contribute to boiler & pressure systems plant failure investigations.
- Carry out or contribute to boiler & pressure systems plant status review / due diligence.
- Sufficient educational or vocational qualifications / experience to carry out the role safely and effectively.
- To be, or have the prerequisites to be, a chartered member of a relevant institution, or have an equivalent recognised professional qualification.
- Ability to plan and manage a portfolio of jobs to cost, quality and time.
- Familiarity with power plant design and operating principles and with site inspection, particularly in the areas of fired boilers, heat recovery steam generators and associated piping systems.
- Familiarity with relevant pressure part design standards, industry guidance and legislation, e.g., Pressure Systems (Safety) Regulations, Pressure Equipment (Safety) Regulations.
- Familiarity with degradation mechanisms relevant to power plant boilers & pressure systems.
- Possess drive, energy and commitment with a history of delivering to tight deadlines.
- Strong communication & interpersonal skills to build positive working relationships.
- Ability to work effectively and flexibly, working away from home on occasion at sites both within the UK and overseas for typically short periods of time.
- Commercially aware.
- A high technical standard of written and spoken English, including report writing.
- High level of IT Literacy to support technical analysis.
- Positive approach to change and contributes to the culture of continuous improvement.
- Ability to co-ordinate work across multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to recognise and take advantage of business opportunities.
- Familiarity with power plant water/steam system process design e.g. flow modelling, thermodynamic modelling.
- Experience relating to power plant water/steam system interfaces with low carbon technologies, especially carbon capture/use/storage and blue hydrogen production.
- Experience in other fields of boiler & pressure systems engineering, e.g. pressure part maintenance strategy, due diligence, plant status review and tender/design review.
- Knowledge of any related disciplines such as welding, cycle chemistry and quality control.