Canadian Solar Inc. (NASDAQ: CSIQ) is a vertically integrated manufacturer of solar cells, modules, and custom‐designed solar power applications. Canadian Solar’s world‐class team of professionals works closely with our customers to provide them with solutions for all their solar needs. Founded in 2001, Canadian Solar is one of the world’s fastest‐growing companies in the solar industry and has been listed on the NASDAQ since November 2006. Canadian Solar is an equal opportunity employer.
Canadian Solar aims to power the world with solar energy and to create a cleaner Earth for future generations. Our culture and people are our most important assets and a key source of our competitive advantage. We strive to “Make the Difference” in our work by cultivating a corporate culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion, and creating a lasting positive impact on society and the communities where we operate.
As a subsidiary of Canadian Solar, e-STORAGE is a leading company specializing in the design, manufacturing, and integration of battery energy storage systems for utility-scale applications. At the core of the e-STORAGE platform is SolBank a self manufactured, lithium-iron phosphate chemistry-based battery engineered for utility-scale applications. Through our innovative solutions, we aim to optimize grid operations, promote clean energy integration, and foster a more resilient and sustainable energy.
Position Title: Project Engineer
Department: CS e-STORAGE - Project Engineering
Reports To: Engineering Manager
Location: UK based, Project Site - 50% and Remote - 50%
The Project Engineer is part of a cross-functional team that focuses on executing battery storage projects with market-leading technologies. The Project Engineer is responsible for all engineering activities of one or two Storage projects from the design phase through to commissioning to ensure successful execution. The Project Engineer is expected to spend over 50% of his or her time at the project site.
Project Planning (remote):
• Assist with the development of technical specifications, vendor reviews, supplier qualifications, etc., including testing and commissioning aspects of energy storage projects.
• Support procurement activities by managing supplier information gathering, generating technical requirement documents, and maintaining supplier Q&A logs.
• Review and evaluate technical aspects of EPC bidder’s proposals pertaining to energy storage during the course of EPC selection.
• Review project documents and preliminary designs to identify gaps in scope and responsibility to ensure project success. This requires a comprehensive understanding of engineering, construction, and spatial planning concepts.
• Support Business Development team with technical input into tender proposals.
Project Execution (on site):
• Responsible for technical project execution, which requires understanding/managing the scope, stakeholders and schedule whilst ensuring all parties are coordinated.
• Interface with internal departments (project managers, product engineers, sales team) and external stakeholders (DNO’s, local authorities, contractors, end customers) to ensure consistent communication.
• Manage Engineering Consultant and host weekly coordination and design review meetings with stakeholders.
• Review/coordinate design and other technical information from suppliers and contractors.
• Manage design review process and ensure all comments are closed.
• Review equipment Factory Acceptance Test procedures and reports.
• Inspect construction work and support the resolution of installation and commissioning technical issues.
• Suggest improvement in product design or procedures/processes based on lessons learned.
• Support value-engineering and process improvements efforts by sharing project-specific lessons learned.
• Manage the relationship with the EPC contractor and with other key stakeholders (DNO, Owner's Engineer, Landowner, Local Council, Optimiser)
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
• Degree in electrical engineering or equivalent experience/practical knowledge.
• Experience in multi disciplined projects is a plus (electrical, civil, structural, mechanical)
• Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in project and/or systems engineering.
• Direct experience in battery storage systems, medium voltage stations, and/or related products/systems is a plus.
• General knowledge of balance of plant systems including UPS, fire alarm system, air-conditioning, lightning protection, metering, and SCADA is a plus.
• Knowledge of grid connection requirements for renewable generation and energy storage, including G99, G100 etc.
• Proficient in LV and MV Electrical Installation design, cable sizing calculations, Short circuit/load flow, Protective Device Coordination, Arc Flash, Earthing code of practice per BS7430 and other relevant electrical design and power system study topics.
• Proficient in the specification, technical bid analysis and procurement of major equipment such as inverter, transformers, switchgear etc...
• Proficient in general project management and document control procedures (document submittals, RFIs, Change Order, Non-Conformance (NCR), site observations (SO), As built documentation including O&M manuals)
• An excellent time manager, able to balance multiple projects and prioritize a broad variety of issues, initiatives, and objectives concurrently.