Changing the way people think about waste.
At Biffa, we love working with waste. Whether we’re turning it into sustainable power, finding new ways to recycle it or simply keeping it off the streets, we believe every day is an opportunity to improve the lives of millions. It’s a view that’s shared by our 10,000+ people around the country, who trust us to provide them with a career that’s always rewarding, often challenging, but never dull. And it’s why we’re the UK’s No. 1 choice for business waste management.
Help us make a difference as a Maintenance Technician, based in Seaham, County Durham, Biffa Polymers are currently constructing phase 2 of the largest and most technically advanced plastic drinks bottles reprocessing plants in the UK. At the forefront of innovation and technology within the plastics recycling industry, Biffa Polymers recycle PET drinks bottles into food grade materials to be used for new bottles or food packaging.A quick look at the role.
To support the business as it expands its operations in the North East an exciting opportunity now exists for a number of experienced Maintenance Technicians to join the team.
With a proven record of maintenance engineering behind you, you will have experience in providing essential electrical or mechanical support on production and ancillary machinery with clear evidence of maintaining a safe working environment. Experience of plastic processing and extrusion machinery, or automated manufacturing machinery would be an advantage but is not a prerequisite.
The hours for this position are 4 on 4 off (2 days, 2 nights then 4 off).The Biffa division you’ll be supporting
In 2020 Biffa opened its new £27.5m state of the art PET plastic bottle recycling facility in Seaham, County Durham. Biffa’s investment in the new facility, which is among the most modern and technically advanced of its kind in the world, is part of the our ongoing drive to invest in the UK’s recycling infrastructure to allow more waste to be recycled at home.
The plant is capable of converting 57,000 tonnes of PET plastic per year, equivalent to 1.3bn plastic bottles. PET, or polyethylene terephthalate, is a commonly used material to package soft drinks, popular as it is lightweight, durable, and highly recyclable, producing significantly lower carbon emissions.Why it’s an opportunity not to be wasted.
- Improving machinery and facilities reliability through maintenance activities, modification and good engineering practises
- Carrying out routine maintenance activities ensuring equipment performance is maintained and optimised
- Fault finding and repairs in breakdown situations, using engineering drawings and machine manuals
- Carrying out PPM tasks for all key equipment
- Assisting the MRO team maintain spare parts stores stock levels & records
- Undergoing training to maintain or improve competency and skill levels
- Operating with a degree of autonomy working within the parameters of department deliverables and health and safety legislation.
- Providing support and assistance to the production and engineering departments as well as improving the service provided by the maintenance department as a whole.
- Carrying out routine inspections and either repair or report defects to management
Here’s what we require:
- Engineering qualification in electrical or mechanical maintenance
- Maintaining production machinery
- Fault finding in control panels on PLC’s, VSD’s and relay logic circuit
- Fault finding on / replacing motors including Star Delta
- Maintaining production machinery
- Fault finding on mechanical equipment i.e. gearboxes, pumps, conveyors etc.
- Numeracy and ability to understand numerical data
- Good understanding of engineering and quality standards
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision and on own initiative
- Be able to fault find using electrical drawings
And here’s why you’ll love it at Biffa.
Dedicated to diversity.
- Competitive salary
- Ongoing career development, training and coaching – because if you don’t grow, we don’t grow.
- Generous pension scheme.
- Medical and dental scheme.
- Retail and leisure discounts.
- Holiday and travel discounts.
- Bike to work scheme
Being inclusive is core to our culture at Biffa; we believe different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds are key to developing a creative and effective working environment that represents our communities and generates the best outcomes for colleagues, customers and stakeholders, which is why you’ll find us championing diversity, equity and inclusion at every turn.