We are breaking the boundaries and pushing our commitment to the EVTOL world by changing the way the world travels. Our mission is powered by pioneers and progress is our prerogative.
Here at Vertical, we are developing the UK’s first fully electric, vertical take-off and landing aircraft (eVTOL), the VX4. With zero-operating emissions. Vertical is transforming the way people travel by offering a faster, safer, and greener way to move.
The Electrical Propulsion Systems Certification Engineer, you will report to the Head of Airworthiness. They will work with Subject Matter Experts in the powertrain team to ensure that all powertrain activities meet regulatory compliance standards, strict safety standards, and regulatory compliance in coordination with other technical areas. You will hold the position of CVE providing the independent check for compliance demonstrations of powertrain compliance demonstrations under our Design Organisation Approval (DOA) for Certification and Airworthiness programmes that adhere to global standards such as UK CAA/EASA Part 21J or equivalent from FAA, JCAB, ANAC, etc.In This Role, You Will
Experience & Qualifications
- Ensure that powertrain Type Certification standards and Means of Compliance are agreed with the UK CAA and foreign validation authorities.
- Work with the powertrain team towards achieving this.
- Provide an independent check as CVE on the compliance work conducted to satisfy those standards.
- Take part in the development, implementation, and maintenance of airworthiness powertrain standards in cooperation with regulatory bodies such as CAA, EASA and FAA.
- Lead the process to develop and agree with UK CAA, proportional powertrain standards for Permits to Fly, Remote Flight Authorisations and authorisation of drones, including collaborating with internal teams.
- Communicate and collaborate with aviation authority experts regarding matters pertaining to powertrain certification.
- Ensure that company practices adhere strictly to DOA governance and regulatory requirements in relation to design control activities.
- Monitor policy changes from international aviation regulation bodies and interpret their impact on current/future programmes.
- Develop strategies for addressing issues raised during certification oversight by national/international regulating agencies.
- Promote the Vertical culture that inspires a high level of engagement and performance.
- Effectively team up with the Airworthiness and Powertrain Team to balance and achieve company objectives.
We seek an ambitious individual with a proven track record in the aerospace industry as an exceptionally organised self-starter who has experience in the development and certification of propulsion systems from initial concept through certification. You will have the technical background necessary to lead on the certification of electrical
Additionally, you will display strong teamwork skills when working with the Airworthiness and Powertrain teams, and the ability to maintain independence when carrying out duties as a CVE.You Will Need
- Demonstrated experience interacting with UK CAA/FAA/EASA/other major civil aviation authorities is essential.
- Knowledge of propulsion certification requirements, including EASA SC VTOL and SC E-19.
- Strong knowledge of Part 21 regulations and Design Organisation Approval.
- Ensure that powertrain designs comply with applicable regulations through analysis, testing, inspection or other means.
- Support investigations into any safety incidents or accidents involving our aircraft.
- A demonstrable track record as a propulsion CVE.
- Significant experience in electrical propulsion systems.
Why work with us?
For us, it is important that people feel valued for the impact they have and are able to thrive and experience the career journey of a lifetime. Our overall approach to reward seeks to offer competitive packages that attract the diverse and talented people we need to achieve our ambitious objectives.
Our Ways of Working
In the UK we have two offices and a Battery facility in Bristol, an office in London and a site in Kemble with well stocked free kitchen provisions including hot drinks, fruit and breakfasts every weekday. Our typical full time working week is 37.5 hours. We recognise the world of work is rapidly evolving and that flexibility is important for us all to thrive. We want to support all employees to deliver their roles to the best possible standard by offering the right level of flexibility between our key sites and home where suitable for your role and its deliverables and our company goals. Typically, this is agreed with your team and people leader, ensuring there are times for collaboration and other activity on site and the ability to work more remotely from home as appropriate.Our Vertical Additional Benefits
- ‘Primary Benefits’ are available as standard, 5% Pension Match, 2 x Salary Life Insurance, Income Protection, 26 days + bank holiday and the opportunity for extra 5 days when getting married or forming a civil partnership
- ‘Flex Fund Benefits’ are benefits that don’t come as standard, but you can ‘pay’ for using a company provided ‘Flex Fund’ (equal to 4% of salary) Private Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, EV Car Subscription, Home EV Charger, Holiday Buy, Pension Top Up, and many more
- ‘Payroll benefits’ Workplace ISA, Commuter Loan, Interest Free Technology Loans
- ‘Extra benefits’ are the many benefits we offer that can be accessed through our rewards platform, incl. Discounted Shopping Scheme, Eye Care Benefits, Free Mortgage Advice, Financial and Comprehensive Wellness Benefits
- Eligibility to participate in our employee long-term-incentive plan
Do you like the look of this opportunity but not sure if you meet all the criteria we’ve outlined?
Here at Vertical, we are working to create an environment of growth, diversity and opportunities for people to take on challenges and push the status quo. We understand some people may not apply to jobs unless they tick every box. If you're excited about joining us and think you have much of what we're looking for, even if you're not 100% sure... we'd love to hear from you.
This is an on-going advert and interviews will be held on an ad-hoc basis until sufficient applications have been received.