Project Manager - Airports
Project Director, Airports, Projects
The Neom Air Sector vision is to provide the best possible air connectivity between NEOM and the rest of the world setting a global technological benchmark for an integrated, customer-centric travel experience through a seamless curb-to-gate experience. The airport will operate with net zero carbon emissions through implementation of a range of strategies including carbon trading. NEOM Airports will stand as a world reference for safety, security and environmental compliance in manned and unmanned air traffic management.
The Project Manager Airfield will support the Project Director, Design Director and Executive Director of Airports Projects by providing the centre of excellence for both airfield and airspace design and delivery. The main duties include the planning, directing, and coordinating of the operations, construction, and maintenance of all airport facilities on the airfield, ensuring all activities comply with local government laws, policies, rules, and regulations. The role encompasses additional responsibilities, acting as lead civil engineer for the entire aviation investment portfolio for all projects in the aviation portfolio. The position will lead on all Neom International Airfield Civil and Airfield engineering and delivery issues, working adjacent to senior and similar roles in the NEOM organization.
The role demands challenging leadership, influencing and analytical skills, to enable the development of project from inception to handover. The airfield and civils design lead will be responsible for specifying, briefing, recruiting and deploying a multi-disciplinary team responsible for airfield and airspace design and delivery. Ensuring accurate production of design and production information at each project stage to support control of projects. The project will deploy advanced digital and information strategies from the outset to deliver the benefits associated with BIM technologies through every stage of the project process.
The role requires the successful applicant to assist the Design Director by providing the centre of excellence for civil engineering design, preparing design standards, and resolving technical issues within the civils discipline, across the aviation portfolio. The role requires the performance management and leadership of large multidisciplinary teams, through the experienced management of design and construction contracts.Job Description
List 6-8 deliverables and accountabilities for the job. These should describe the essence of the role and the key activities of the job, particularly the key decision-making areas and work activities. Try and avoid writing a long list of tasks. for key deliverables.
Ensure Position Title is the same Title that appears in the Org’ ChartKey Accountabilities & Activities
- Contribute to the design and implementation of NEOM’s Air Mobility capital development and strategic objectives and goals.
- Collaborate with relevant NEOM staff members and leaders to identify required projects relevant to the airfield and initiatives that support the achievement of NEOM’s Air Mobility vision.
- Support the executive team by providing strategic planning expertise, facilitating the production of an early stage integrated scope, cost, and schedule program for a prioritized investment portfolio, with identified projects relevant to the airfield, ensuring individual project scope within the airside and airspace program is identified, to allow cost and time estimates to be accurately assessed by the project controls team.
- Help instill a culture of development, guidance and performance within Airports Projects
- Take responsibility, for building and maintaining a high-performance team
- Participate in setting performance requirements and recruiting for key positions across the Airports Projects delivery team as applicable.
- Set performance objectives, provide necessary support, evaluate / appraise staff and provide regular feedback on performance as applicable.
- Promote a high-performance working environment embracing NEOM’s values.
- Develop and implement a program of capacity development for staff where applicable
- Support the planning stage for airfield design, ensuring design is progressed within cost and time constraints with variations authorized within governance framework.
- Develop the airfield and airspace design and construction organisation structure, for each phase of the program, including job descriptions and staff deployment plans.
- For the identified projects within the program relevant to airfield, ensure information is produced and quality controlled in line with an agreed work breakdown structure, BIM execution strategy and document control specification at the earliest opportunity.
- Facilitate risk/value reviews for the masterplan with the project controls team.
- Establish a portfolio governance structure, to ensure design and scope developments are documented at this early stage and cost and time schedules are updated.
- Work with the project controls team to ensure works information is in place to support procurement activity and formulation of design contracts.
- Lead the production of technical assessment criteria for design procurement within the portfolio and carry out the technical assessment of tenders.
- Act as the project manager for early-stage design within this portfolio.
- Work with the project controls team to put in place a performance assessment and progress framework and complete monthly reporting, presenting at governance forums.
- Work with the project controls team to provide quality assured cost and schedule estimates (inclusive of risk) and integrate into an updated business plans.
- Review and comment of all stage deliverables facilitating and leading stakeholder reviews. Facilitate external audit at the planning stage gateway review for each project in the program.
- Ensure accurate scope of works is produced for the design team within your portfolio for the next stage and that final design stage employers’ requirements are included within design contracts.
- Work with construction team to produce scope for site investigations to support timely information production for design stage.
- Lead the development of the project from inception to handover.
- Lead and manage a large multidisciplinary teams through the experienced management of design and construction contracts.
- Lead the deployment of the design team ensuring systems and information is provided at the earliest stage to support design delivery. The airfield and civils design lead will be responsible for specifying, briefing, recruiting and deploying a multi-disciplinary team responsible for airfield and airspace design and delivery. Ensure accurate production of design and production information at each project stage to support control of projects. Deploy advanced digital and information strategies from the outset to deliver the benefits associated with BIM technologies through every stage of the project process.
- Lead the gateway review at the end of the Execution stage for each project in the program on behalf of the Airports Design Director.
Influence and Negotiation
- Develop negotiation strategies to address the needs and interests of all parties involved, identifying areas of common ground, and considering potential tradeoffs.
- Effectively communicates with all stakeholders involved, actively listen to their perspectives, and respond appropriately to drive common objectives related to program and requirements.
- Effectively manage conflicts that may arise during the negotiation process, identify potential barriers to agreement, and work to overcome these obstacles.
- Reach agreement on the terms and conditions of the negotiation, document the agreement, and ensure that all parties involved understand and agree to the terms of the negotiation.
- Provide high-quality project and programme management standards across the whole project lifecycle.
- Assist the Airports Project Director by producing and seeking approval for a contract strategy which is in line with the broader Neom corporate approach to contracting and meets audit requirements.
- Assist the executive team in the engagement of Stakeholders to provide the necessary assurance that early-stage concepts and plans are realistic and achievable. Work with the project controls team to document risks and mitigations.
- Support the Airports Projects Director at initiation stage gateway review, with specific responsibility for project controls deliverables.
- Assist the Airports Design Director in recommending a digital design tool set and specifications which will allow a federated BIM model to including the airside and airspace design, with specific reference to the needs of Geographic Information Systems (GIS), which are a fundamental requirement in the airside and airspace portfolio.
- Support the Airports Project Director in the production of Employers requirements for design and construction contracts with specific responsibility for the production and approval of:
- Civil design specifications
- Airside and Airspace Design specifications
- Civil construction quality procedures
- Airside construction quality procedures
- Licensing requirements for airspace and airfields
- Facilitate the induction of design suppliers with specific responsibility for providing access to project control and BIM tools and processes.
- Support the independent BIM auditor to report on supplier compliance against the development of a confederated BIM model. Follow up audit recommendations and report on compliance.
- Support Airports Design Director in establishing governance of change and risk allocation on completion of concept design.
- Produce scope of works for any specialist support to design teams.
- Support design for manufacture and assembly, by providing design information to the construction teams to support:
- First run studies and batching trials
- Logistics centres, batching plants, and temporary haul roads
- Establishment of temporary RZ boundaries and site security
- Reshape the design organisation to deal with technical queries and design correspondence from the construction team, including elements of specialist contractor production design.
- Minimize change through the design bulletin system and ensure change impacts are quantified and notified prior to issue.
- Work with project controls team to ensure reporting is in place to monitor and track responses to technical queries within required contractual time scales.
- Work with the project controls team to implement a full and comprehensive project controls approach throughout the construction stage in line with previously agreed procedures.
- Support testing and commissioning and airfield licensing, by working with the construction teams to manage stakeholders consulted with during the design stage.
- Implement demobilization plan and handover to operations team prior to ORAT implementation.
- Support the financial teams by providing the asset information in the agreed format to support capitalization of assets.
- Administer the contracts though liability, defects and construction periods financially closing contracts at conclusion.
Background, Skills & Qualifications
- Advanced proficiency in multiple stakeholder engagement and management day to day and through the lifecycle of the project.
- Balancing the requirements of all stakeholders and endeavoring to satisfy key stakeholder requirements.
- Management of the design review and approval process for all airfield related projects through the stage gate process as per the NEOM Plan of Works.
- Management of the review and approval process for all airfield related projects with external aviation authorities.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Minimum of 10+ years’ relevant airport and civil engineering design experience:
- Airfield pavements and drainage
- Aerodrome safeguarding to ICAO and GACA standards
- Working with specialist airspace consultants
- Navigational aids including airfield lighting.
- Airfield operational support facilities (including emergency services)
- Airfield security requirements
- General civil experience of highway, tunnels and subsurface railway design is preferred.
- Minimum 5+ years major programs experience.
- Experience of working within a major program with project controls disciplines.
- Completion and presentation of progress reporting at board, and executive management level
- Experience of leading airfield and civil engineering design teams from inception through to handover. At leadership level:
- Performance management of large-scale multi-disciplinary design teams
- FIDIC or similar contract experience
- Excellent analytical and verbal reasoning skills
- Strong stakeholder management skills
- Excellent written and oral communications
- Proactive approach
- Ability to think strategically and creative problem-solving skills.
- Strong understanding and proactive approach to project controls and risk management principles
- Extensive knowledge of current and future technology and trends for airfield development including systems, equipment and infrastructure.
- Degree level education or equivalent experience.
- Chartered/Registered Civil Engineer or equivalent.
- Project Management Certification is preferred (APM / Prince2 / MSP)
COMMUNICATION - MAIN STAKEHOLDERS
- Executive Director – Airports
- Project Director – Airports
- Commercial and Project Controls Director - Airports
- Design Director – Airports
- Proponent team
- Airports Project team
- NEOM wide Projects teams
- NEOM Procurement, Finance, ETSD, PTS,
- Airport Projects PMC
- Airport Operators (Cluster 2, SGS, Airlines, Cargo operators etc.)
- Airport Authority (GACA)
- Airport Governmental stakeholders, locally and centrally.
- Interfacing government stakeholders including Ministry of Transport, Royal Saudi Aviation, MEWA etc.
- Global aviation related authorities and regulators e.g. IATA, ICAO
- 3rd Party suppliers relevant to the project design and delivery
Thomas McShane, Project Director Airports ProjectsDate:
First Review byDate:
Second Review byDate:
Bryan Thompson, Executive Director Airports Projects